Canada Drives Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

4.3
Canada Drives Founder and Co-CEO Cody Green
Cody Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I love the stocked kitchen - free breakfast and lunch everyday of the week saves me loads of money" (in 24 reviews)

• "I have worked at Canada Drives for over two years" (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, but this is optional" (in 23 reviews)

• "I really enjoy working at Canada Drives and I can see career growth within the company" (in 11 reviews)

"Brilliant Working Environment, But At A Price"

I worked at Canada Drives full-time

Pros

1) The young workforce would definitely be the company's strongest asset. Everyone has great fun and nobody takes themselves too seriously.

2) The free food helped me to save money, which was great.

3) The training period was very interesting and taught me a lot of valuable information in regard to credit scores, personal finance, etc.

Cons

1) From the get-go, I felt as if I was being initiated into some sort of weird, money worshipping cult, whereby the people of Canada were just pawns on a chess board, standing as the only obstacle between a 6 figure salary and I. However, I happen to be a very clued-in individual, and could see through all of the smoke and mirrors. While there is obviously a market for Canada Drives and they are a very profitable company, I'm also a very compassionate person. I found it impossible to see past the fact that I was playing a part in getting Canadians with terrible credit scores approved for large amounts of money, knowing that they were only digging themselves deeper and deeper into debt.

2) The manner in which they speak of people they're getting approved for loans is extremely derogatory. While I believe that the team managers were good people once, they have lost sight of what life's truly about. Your standard of life may improve as a result of having more disposable income, however your life, morals and the manner in which you treat others shouldn't depend on how many 0's there are in your bank balance.

3) The team managers refer to basic manners and respect for people as "passive language" and employees are told quite regularly to be as forceful as possible to customers when trying to sell their products. I found this behaviour quite shocking, as in the previous offices that I have worked in, this would be a major issue.

4) The company churn through employees like you wouldn't believe. Of the 14 people that started when I did, there were only 2 people left after 2 weeks. This should be the perfect indicator as to what's really going on in this company.

Advice to Management

The managers are very good at their jobs, however I feel as if maybe they should take a step back at some stage and evaluate what they're facilitating in the office. They should think about the impact that their actions have had, and will have, on the Canadians that they convince to take out loans at almost 50% interest. Morals are worth more than money, and if you feel as if your moral compass is pointing straight to the wallet in your pocket, make a change for the better. It's not you that's flawed, it's the company's business model.

2. "Good intent, but there's a reason they have turnover and lose good people"

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-There are some really fun and great people in the organization, some of management included.
    -A great place to get a start in your career
    - Interesting business model, though not everyone in the organization understands it
    -Some perks, such as reimbursed transit. In my time they reimbursed me for a school course, which was definitely considerate.
    -Good location downtown, though the office looks like a teenager's room with how it is organized (a mess).
    -There are times where it can definitely be a lot of fun at Canada Drives.

Cons

-You aren't encouraged to take care of your overall health. You'll be asked why you need to go to the doctor (which aside from being full on illegal and against employment standards, is straight up weird as it's none of their business), and discouraged from taking sick days when you're genuinely on your death bed.
    -I won't go into it, but please be wary of the sexism.
    - No, or very limited, autonomy at work.
    - A lot of 'lifers' in management who get paid a lot more to be there than they would if they were at another company. The downside to this is that they have no outside experience and the perspectives tend to be very limited.
    - A lot of managers are either visibly burned out or worried about being yelled out, so they don't bring new ideas forward and don't push back against their bosses. This impacts how they oversee their departments.
    -Limited resources to meaningful mentorship, depending on your department.

Advice to Management

-Be more critical of yourself and, honestly, work harder to make your processes better. You're losing bank on your high turnover, Dunder Mifflin had a better looking layout than your environment and decor, and you keep losing great people after a year (or maybe two) because you aren't competitive enough in your offering.

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love working here, hard work is definitely rewarded. Loyalty is definitely rewarded. I've gained a lot of lifelong relationships here, one of the greatest work environments I've ever been in. Time flies at work, never a dull moment. I'm always bragging to my friends about what I do. Love it.

Cons

Can't think of anything, it's all good!

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

3 Dec 2018 – Human Resources Manager

On behalf us all, I would like to thank you for sharing this great review about Canada Drives. Hearing that you love working here is the best thing we could hope for! We’re happy to have an employee... More

4. "Sales Representative - Personal Loans"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, young atmosphere, life-long friendships. The ability to double or triple your salary within the first 3-6 months. Free food, paid transit and young management.

Cons

If you are not used to working hard then you will find the hours to be long. But one thing to keep in mind is you can double or triple your salary within your first year at this company as long as you are willing to do what others will not. This is sales, this means you have to do whatever it takes to hit your numbers even if that means putting in some extra hours.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Better than you'd think"

Current Employee - Senior Loan Adviser in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Loan Adviser in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Been working at Canadadrives for about a year now (The longest I have worked in a field like this) and I can easily say that that if you plan on looking for a professional environment where you can dictate your income based on numbers YOU produce than this would be the perfect place for you. The workplace is never dull with ever changing music and company activities. One of the things that have kept me here so long is the networking you can build being around so many people who over achieve in many different avenues of their lives. I would strongly suggest this place to any driven individual.

Cons

There isn't really anything I can think of off the top of my head. The only thing I would say some people will find as a Con is that if you plan on slacking around and making easy money than this isn't the place for you. But I think that goes with any work place better than an entry level role.

3 Dec 2018 – Human Resources Manager

We’re so glad to hear how happy you are working here! We agree, the amount of wonderful staff here that have endured so many different paths of life makes it such a great place to learn and grow! Our... More

"Amazing Sales Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Canada Drives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teaches you how to become a sales expert, solid training and very competitive.

Cons

Call time was a bit much sometimes.

3 Dec 2018 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about Canada Drives. We appreciate your feedback! We developed a really strong training program to help our staff become the experts they are.

7. "not worth it"

I worked at Canada Drives full-time

Pros

free food and transit and office music

Cons

there are too many to place in this small of a space.
    verbal abuse from managers is more frequent than the customers you interact with
    the list of tasks grows and changes weekly
    those in charge are extremely greedy and are constantly demanding more without pay raises
    inconsistent management and office environment
    its hourly pay but stops after 8hs
    you a required to stay unpaid if they are not happy with your performance for the day
    EXTREME turn over rates

Advice to Management

stop being bullies learn to relax

"Canada Drives"

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I have worked at Canada Drives for over two years. The company have been growing at an incredible pace and have become an amazing place to work.

- Upper management truly cares about the staff and are always looking for ways to improve.

-Lots of opportunities and room for growth! I was hired as a junior sales staff and worked my way up on the sales team before I was given the opportunity to work for the Accounting department.

-Great Benefits, Full Transit Reimbursements and Free Food.

Cons

I can't think of one.

3 Dec 2018 – Human Resources Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to speak about your experience with working at Canada Drives. One of the biggest benefits of working here is the ability to be promoted internally and move around to... More

"loans"

Former Employee - Loans in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Loans in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Canada Drives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, good experience

Cons

verbal abuse by customers and managers, contempt for education

Advice to Management

relax

"Young , fun and energetic place of work with great opportunities to make a lot of money!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked here for 5 months now and ever since my first day I've felt welcome by everyone. The company is constantly expanding and there are a lot of people from all ages working here. Out of all these people the majority are incredibly friendly, positive and social which creates a great work environment for everyone. Most of the employees work close with their managers too which gives them a great chance to always learn more and constantly grow.
    In some departments of this company you are able to make a really good amount of money each month if you are willing to work hard. Other than that there are a bunch of great benefits such as free breakfast and lunch everyday, full transit reimbursements, health and dental care etc.
    This really is an amazing company to be part of and I'm happy to go to work everyday!

Cons

Sometimes it can get a little too noisy in the office but other than that there's not really anything to complain about.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, you guys are doing great!

25 Oct 2018 – Human Resources Manager

Thanks for the feedback! Canada Drives goes to great lengths to make all Canada Drives staff feel welcome at work each and every day. Our CEOs Cody Green and Michael Galpin introduced an excellent... More