Cambridge Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

4.0
Eric Wilkinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor pay, not a lot of room for career progression" (in 2 reviews)

• "There's a free canteen, but with strict limits on amount/variety of what you can eat" (in 2 reviews)

1. "A stimulating place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of different projects and clients. A new challenge every day across a wide range of market areas. Good benefits including lunch and breakfast. Opportunities for personal and professional growth.

Cons

Job satisfaction very dependent on the availability of project work and therefore on sales. Junior engineers have little influence on sales and so can have little control over the quality of work available for them.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to prioritise flexibility and adaptability over process. Provide a minimal framework that ensures things are done correctly and encourage staff to develop an appropriate process for each project to minimise waste and maximise speed of progress. Apply AGILE principles to each project and the business overall.

2. "Cambridge Consultants"

Pros

Variety of work, flexible hours

Cons

Distance from centre of Cambridge

3. "A nice place to start working with great people, but opportunities are limited"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants (More than 3 years)

Pros

A wide range of products to work on. The people are all very easy to get along with

Cons

Career progression is difficult and ambiguous
    It is hard to get credibility if you do not have a specific skills set you want to progress
    The rapid growth means staff working on projects have less to do, work is patchy

4. "Love the Company. Not perfect, but the closest I've found"

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people
    - Great culture of working together to get the job done.
    - No competitiveness or concept that X gets the promotion meaning that Y and Z miss out; it's a merit-based system
    - Great benefits (healthcare, free breakfast and lunch for all staff)

Cons

- Sometimes you need to put in more than your contractual hours (flip-side: the work is always interesting, so on the weeks I work more than 40 hours it's because I want to, not because I feel I have to)

Advice to Management

Keep promoting and pushing the culture on which CC was founded; it's what's going to keep us being the same great place to work

5. "Software Engineer"

I worked at Cambridge Consultants full-time

Pros

Great team, good projects and decent offices

Cons

Poor pay, not a lot of room for career progression

6. "EA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Cambridge Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, great people, great culture

Cons

Compensation, benefits and review process

7. "Best place I've worked at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can really make a difference, get responsibility and loads of variety. I've stayed because of the empowerment and the great people I work with. The culture is strongly collaborative and supportive. At its best, the project work is amazing

Cons

You can't always choose your clients, the hours are sometimes long and thankless - a lot depends on the projects you can win. It's a performance culture which doesn't suit everyone

Advice to Management

Focus on the things which make CC great, and keep the growth ambitions sensible

8. "Great People!"

I worked at Cambridge Consultants full-time

Pros

Smart, talented people and a collaborative & supportive work environment
    Opportunity to work on lots of great projects and grow into different roles within the company

Cons

As in all consulting, there can varying levels of busy depending on projects. CC works hard to not overload employees though.

"Be Realistic"

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great facilities
    - Free lunch (and breakfast if you cycle, get the bus or train to work)
    - Free parking onsite which is a lot better now the company built us a multi-story car park. Having worked in Cambridge for many years, I fully appreciate free parking!
    - Great transport links, especially now Cambridge North is open
    - The people. I can't stress enough how fantastic the people are; both intellectually and personally. I would happily say this is the most engaging and supportive company I have worked in to date.
    - I feel valued. I am seen as an expert in my area, and the advice I give to my colleagues is always met with respect and understanding (most of the time).
    - Acknowledgement. Although I have not been with the business for an overly long period of time in comparison to others, the work I have done has been praised and appreciated. You need to take ownership of your own career, the harder you work the more opportunities become available.
    - Work life balance. Despite it being a consultancy you don't work ridiculous hours, and if you do work extra hours it's because you want to, not because you're forced to.

Cons

- Salaries aren't as competitive as they think
    - Stuck in old ways of working

All businesses have pros and cons, the way Cambridge Consultants operates is good for some but not for others, be realistic.

Advice to Management

Trust your junior employees more, you hired us for a reason so let us show you what we can do. Be more forward thinking in all aspects of the business, especially management.

10. "A place to shine"

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a place where talented people with dedication and enthusiasm will be given opportunites. Compared to other companies I've worked at, CC has an honest caring culture which gives a lot back to all employees.

Cons

It's a growing company, and with that are changes (some people see that as negative, some as opportunities).