Cambridge Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

4.1
Eric Wilkinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "EA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Cambridge Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, great people, great culture

Cons

Compensation, benefits and review process

2. "Best place I've worked at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can really make a difference, get responsibility and loads of variety. I've stayed because of the empowerment and the great people I work with. The culture is strongly collaborative and supportive. At its best, the project work is amazing

Cons

You can't always choose your clients, the hours are sometimes long and thankless - a lot depends on the projects you can win. It's a performance culture which doesn't suit everyone

Advice to Management

Focus on the things which make CC great, and keep the growth ambitions sensible

3. "Great People!"

I worked at Cambridge Consultants full-time

Pros

Smart, talented people and a collaborative & supportive work environment
    Opportunity to work on lots of great projects and grow into different roles within the company

Cons

As in all consulting, there can varying levels of busy depending on projects. CC works hard to not overload employees though.

4. "A place to shine"

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a place where talented people with dedication and enthusiasm will be given opportunites. Compared to other companies I've worked at, CC has an honest caring culture which gives a lot back to all employees.

Cons

It's a growing company, and with that are changes (some people see that as negative, some as opportunities).

"I'm happy"

Current Employee - Support Staff in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time

Pros

Contrary to some of the negative press on here, I quite like Cambridge Consultants.

I recently discovered that it is actually possible to enjoy your job!? I no longer wake up with that 'Monday morning dread', I stay late because I want to and not because I feel I have to, and I have a voice within the business that is actually listened to.

It may well be that I am still in my honeymoon period at Cambridge Consultants ( 6 months in) but so far so good for me!

Cons

I am not naive to think that the company is perfect, but if you are forever chasing perfection then you will forever be unsatisfied.

Advice to Management

It's a bit too early to be giving advice to management...

"Be Realistic"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great facilities
    - Free lunch (and breakfast if you cycle, get the bus or train to work)
    - Free parking onsite which is a lot better now the company built us a multi-story car park. Having worked in Cambridge for many years, I fully appreciate free parking!
    - Great transport links, especially now Cambridge North is open
    - The people. I can't stress enough how fantastic the people are; both intellectually and personally. I would happily say this is the most engaging and supportive company I have worked in to date.
    - I feel valued. I am seen as an expert in my area, and the advice I give to my colleagues is always met with respect and understanding (most of the time).
    - Acknowledgement. Although I have not been with the business for an overly long period of time in comparison to others, the work I have done has been praised and appreciated. You need to take ownership of your own career, the harder you work the more opportunities become available.
    - Work life balance. Despite it being a consultancy you don't work ridiculous hours, and if you do work extra hours it's because you want to, not because you're forced to.

Cons

- Salaries aren't as competitive as they think
    - Stuck in old ways of working

All businesses have pros and cons, the way Cambridge Consultants operates is good for some but not for others, be realistic.

Advice to Management

Trust your junior employees more, you hired us for a reason so let us show you what we can do. Be more forward thinking in all aspects of the business, especially management.

"Senior Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Cambridge Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Variated work (if you know the right people inside the company).
    - Excellent canteen (lunch and breakfast of you don't use the car).
    - Some really clever and good people.
    - At some point in time, the culture and values were really good.
    - Really good labs and workshops, the company has really good equipment.
    - It could be a relaxed environment depending on your speciality.
    - They do, sometimes, social events.
    - Flexitime but just be there when we need to deliver (if not, maybe you won't be in the next project...)

Cons

- They don't care about team building, just about getting more and more graduates (in general, quite good people and motivated, result; they can learn quick and do the job being "cheap").
    - Selling strategy to underscore the project (cheaper because there is much competition; just think about that it is usually repetitive work) which result in some sells but the difference between the time you needed to complete it and the time they sold to the client needs to be filled with unpaid extrahours by the engineering teams (which is fine because they are either in the CCL's religion or energetic graduates).
    - Many people doing there just 9-5 and doesn't care about interesting stuff to do, company direction, etc... They just want the salary at the end of the months (pretty sad for the external image that the company sells).
    - Many good people around. Sadly, they don't get properly rewarded or distinguish from those 9-5 average workers; as a result they leave (massive turnover in the last few months).
    - Many people had been there for many years (some people even more than 30years...) which results in many people practising CCL's religion.
    - Only some people are busy 110% of the time and do many unpaid extrahours which makes enough money for the company to keep many others doing investment project (most part of them with no really good impact in the business; just another "me too"). As you can guess, not very sustainable in the long run.
    - Many managers has been there since tech scholars; they just know CCL and they have too much power over the rest of people. Some of them leaded failed initiatives but no one really cares; just keep the ball rolling and it will be fine.
    - People promotion and salaries are very similar; managers do a really good job at keeping everyone in the same salaries (regardless your contribution is really big or you just sit there to spend the hours).
    - Many repetitive work. The company tried to create momentum and excite the market in other areas but failed. It basically lives from outsourcing work for 5-6 major companies. As you can guess, the other work which comes is very related with what we have done before (could be depressing after the third time you do a similar thing for another client).
    - Recruiting went crazy some months/years ago which completely destroyed the company culture. Senior people (which can see above the CCL's religion) are leaving bored and frustrated.
    - Really old in-house software tools which are maintained by internal people which doesn't have time to maintain it. Result; rusty stuff which basically gets in your way more than it helps.
    - Your need to book hours to projects in other to get to your targets. Depending on your speciality you will have enough stuff back to back to not be bother trying to find it. If not, someone will come up with an investment project to keep you busy.
    - They tried to start doing "new" methodologies (Agile/Scrum) but they don't have the right expert to do them. It's a bit funny to have people leading a software project who never wrote a line of code...
    - Most part of the cool stuff they show in the press releases and social media are just prototypes. Not many of the really innovative stuff is implemented in the real world.
    - I think the policy to show to the world that we are really innovation could somehow work for the short term recruiting (until the people realise the truth once they are inside).
    - Internal services (IT, HR, etc...) are managed by CCL's priests which have full power and, sometimes, they listen to some people. The rest of the time, they just do whatever they want. If you look at the turnover rate in those services you will workout the consequences of such leadership.
    - It's difficult to have ownership of a development; just think in the fact that we are outsourcing work.
    - Internal competition between divisions (MedTech, Wireless and Digital Services and industrial) is really high and unhealthy. We usually step into each others which seems silly.

Advice to Management

- Care more about your senior people.
    - Compensate the above-the-average people, if not; they either leave or will do just the minimum effort to get the monthly salary (and you have already many people like this).
    - As you have many clever people, they will get bored quickly after doing the same thing over and over. Try to come up with programs to keep those key people (at the moment, they just leave bored).
    - Refresh managers. They need to learn from the outside world rather than keep doing the same.
    - Control your recruitment policy (I guess it will be difficult with the dozens of people leaving) and try to involve them in the culture and values; just a leaflet doesn't work.
    - Choose your managers wisely. It's not enough to know about technical stuff; there are many soft skills missing.
    - Allocate budget and do frequent teambuilding experiences if you want to keep people happy. If they are busy 110% and they don't have time for training; they will leave.
    - Control how you are selling projects. Underselling and then exploiting engineers doesn't work.
    - Fix the problems you are having in the company support roles. The high turnover is saying something.
    - Minimise cross divisional competition; it is doing lot of damage.
    - Minimise duplicated teams of specialist between divisions. They need to compete with each other a lot; we already have enough with external companies.
    - Pay more decent salaries for the top people you have and the location. Simply; adjust to the market. (Hiring cheap graduates and losing seniors doesn't work forever).

"Fantastic place to work... so many positives to list"

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time

Pros

People... they are the biggest thing for me and they're bright, have time to talk to you, even when they're busy. In my experience always happy to help.

Facilities are brilliant. The offices have been and continue to be developed, which look great.

Canteen - great choice of food. 2 course meal every day free... can't be bad! Free breakfast too if you don't bring a car to work.

Cycling sheds, showers & towels, free bike maintenance too.

Even though we have grown, I still see entrepreneurship.

It's a meritocracy here and you need to be a doer, as well as a bit of a go-getter too, which I like.

Cons

I genuinely can't think of anything significant, although getting off the science park in the evening can be a pain during the winter.

Advice to Management

Keep the spirit alive and the next 50 years will be a blast too.

"Growing company who care about their staff"

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time

Pros

If you work hard you are rewarded. Growing company that has kept some small company values and the personal touch. I believe that you get back what you put in and it should be up to the individual to look for opportunities that will not only benefit the company, but give you great job satisfaction. You get that at CC and I have only worked with managers who have enabled me to be better and given me respect.

Cons

Some people at CC have not worked in the 'real world', where things are not quite so cushy and probably never will. This can sometimes make it challenging when trying to support them and help them help themselves.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Disappointing, hierarchical, inefficient, and just focused on time and money with no real purpose."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Cambridge Consultants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some projects allow you to learn the whole lifecycle of a product from 0 to after market. Some projects seem to be rather innovative. Good pension plan and health/travel insurance.

Cons

Low pay. Silos structure: there are 3 divisions and they appear to be more in competition, than in collaboration. Collaboration with regional offices almost inexistent. People from different divisions are rarely on the same project. There's a free canteen, but with strict limits on amount/variety of what you can eat. The IT tools are either fragmented, or very old, inefficient and they just get in the way of the work. People are jealous of their time and scheduling introduction meetings with some people may just result of your meeting (politely written) being refused and not rescheduled with no additional comments.
    Most of the information is hidden from you behind the excuse of "everything is confidential" which makes things seem cool at first but as a result it's just impossible to reuse and share knowledge. They end up reinventing the wheel most of the time.
    Management is uninspiring: the key messages from the company meetings are just about money and metrics. Past failures are hidden away and nobody ever talks about them.

Advice to Management

Try to inspire people, foster collaboration (get rid of some metrics if they are responsible for inter-divisional competition). Get rid of inefficient tools and boost knowledge sharing: you'll become more productive and you will be able to pay your employees more.... The job market in Cambridge is getting more competitive, CCs salaries are not.