CHOC Children's Reviews

Updated 8 May 2020

3.8
CHOC Children's President Kim Cripe
Kim Cripe
Pros
  • "The nursing staff on the floors are very caring with high levels of experience with pediatrics(in 8 reviews)

• "Great people and very nurturing environment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons that I can think of(in 6 reviews)

• "I have experienced first hand how ineffective the HR Management Team is(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great people, but ineffective leadership that promote a culture of silence, need to catch up with the times"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people are very friendly overall, there are some politics like you would expect everywhere else, but most are generally good people. The frontline staff are absolutely amazing, and the support staff just as much so for the most part.

Cons

Should clean house with management, there are many chiefs, directors and managers at the top that do not care about associates... they will make a big show over caring, but their actions say otherwise. I have so many emails that were just ignored. Lots of unqualified people get better positions with better pay, leading to high turnover. When something is brought up that management does not like, they will pretend to listen and actually sweep it under the rug. I have even been asked directly by managers to pretend I did not see a mistake, keep quiet about it, and to hide something from an auditor! People know to not say anything to management anymore because of that, it is a culture of silence. The technology at CHOC is also so terrible, the IT department takes years to respond to a ticket, which is just sad... CHOC is tiny compared to other companies The pay is well below industry standard, nearly every competitor I have researched pays so much more!!

CHOC Children's2020-05-08
  2. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Child Life Specialist in Compton, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly staff, beautiful work place, great benefits

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of

CHOC Children's2020-04-23
  3. "Choc Review"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orange, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being around the most resilient children. Most staff is great.

Cons

Pay. Management. Staff gossip and unsafe assignments.

CHOC Children's2020-04-24
  4. "Amazing Hospital"

Former Employee - Volunteer

I worked at CHOC Children's part-time

Pros

Great environment and very helpful staff

Cons

No downside while being a volunteer

CHOC Children's2019-11-06
  5. "CHOC Takes Care of their Workers"

Current Employee - Clinical Associate
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at CHOC Children's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay differential Care for employees

Cons

Healthcare plans are not the greatest

CHOC Children's2019-11-01
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - HRIS Analyst in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time for more than a year

Pros

I get support with working on new and innovative way of performing my job and see that management is open for resources to move around and find better fit.

Cons

Salaries are lower than the market.

CHOC Children's2019-10-18
  7. "Review"

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time

Pros

Great benefits, fun atmosphere and culture, meaningful and purpose/mission-driven organization.

Cons

Bonus structure isn't modern, pay isn't great, developmental opportunities are not really available if you aren't in management or clinical area.

CHOC Children's2019-10-16
  8. "Best organization I've worked for!"

Current Employee - Human Resourcees in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time

Pros

Everyone genuinely cares about one another and everyone believes in our mission and vision. Our leaders are invested and committed to supporting our growth within the organization. You feel heard and cared for. You are given the support you need, you just need to ask for it. Everyone is just nice! I thought it would wear off but it doesn't - no one yells or raises their voice. They value communication and respect so the interactions I have with everyone are always professional and pleasant. This is something that I am not used to from working at other organization so I don't take it for granted. CHOC spoils us with tons of training and education opportunities.

Cons

There is always opportunity for improvement. Honestly, the only con I can think of is the coffee - we don't have enough of it. Work/Life balance could be better, but that's a personal decision because I love working for CHOC and sometimes forget to balance my personal life.

CHOC Children's2019-10-15
  9. "CHOC is mission driven, providing great care for kids and associates!"

Current Employee - Director in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At CHOC our mission & values are front and center! We don't lose sight of who we are and what our potential is. To that end, CHOC recognizes how challenging the healthcare environment can be and is dedicated to taking care of their associates with enhanced benefits, education and wellness programs. CHOC really engages the right people at the right times, so exciting that we are including all levels of associates, leaders, physicians, patients & families in our growth plans. CHOC is dedicated to helping associates develop to their full potential. CHOC's growing - we aren't just a hospital anymore! The opportunities to expand and develop your career far beyond a traditional hospital environment.

Cons

CHOC's growing. Sometimes ensuring that everyone is moving in the same direction can be hard. But this is something that CHOC remains focused on. It may not always be perfect, but CHOC is striving to stay the course.

CHOC Children's2019-10-15
  10. "Awesome Culture and Strong CEO"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CHOC has a great culture and is a wonderful place to work. People are friendly and open to new employees both in clinical and non clinical areas.

Cons

So many worthy things to do.

Found 173 reviews