Cover image for CH2M

Part of Jacobs
Is this your company?

CH2M

Add a Review

CH2M Employee Reviews about "billable"

Updated 14 Feb 2021

Found 50 of over 1K reviews

3.6
CH2M CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman
Pros
  • "CH2M was a great place to work with good people who want to give clients an exemplary product(in 43 reviews)

• "Great very good company to work with(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Pressure to increase billable percentages and attract clients(in 50 reviews)

• "When I first started with CH2M Hill (WE were Lockwood Greene and(in 34 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "billable"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Freelancer

Great place to work

14 Feb 2021 - Civil Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting projects, ample technical support, advancement opportunities, flexible schedules.

Cons

Pressure to increase billable percentages and attract clients.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great Place with Good People

9 Jul 2019 - Project Scientist
      Business Outlook

Pros

CH2M was a great place to work with good people who want to give clients an exemplary product.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to self-direct into enough work to be 100% billable.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. Join the CH2M team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not my type of corporate culture

8 Aug 2018 - Technician in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Corporate environment, entrepreneurial setting In-house, self-directed, uncompensated educational program available

Cons

Full billable hours are not guaranteed Higher level of discourse and unhealthy competition between employees competing for billable hours Only paid for billable hours Efficiency methods reduce work to being redundant, repetitive and boring. Little innovation or problem solving. Status quo rules. Butt kissing and backstabbing is the best way for career advancement

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee

Every office is different

29 Oct 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can get good experience using cutting edge ideas.

Cons

Billable hours- you could work 60hours and only get paid for 40 Depending on office - may have to find all of your own work

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Good and bad, but overall good

4 May 2017 - Environmental Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are phenomenal and great company culture. Pretty much every team I've worked with, we've had each others' backs. Very flexible schedule and work-from-home opportunities. I always felt like I was trusted and my hard work acknowledged.

Cons

Pressure to be billable without overhead. Because of this I ate a lot of PTO on a weekly basis for hours spent being productive and contributing to the company, but not chargeable to a client. Working in primarily virtual teams can be advantageous for flexibility, but can also be isolating.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Work/Life Balance, Good Location

2 Apr 2017 - Water Engineer I in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great, they know their stuff and are passionate about their career. Lots of opportunities for training, conferences, and inter-company networks for support. The location is right off I-25 and C-470 so it's easy to get to from all directions. Everyone sits in cubicles so everyone seems easily accessible. Lots of ways to know where people are and how to reach them if they are working from home. Café and gym on location. Safety is promoted as a strong value and there isn't pressure to work over 80 hours every 2 weeks. Work life balance is promoted as another strong value and burning or from overworking is discouraged.

Cons

Pressure to be 100% billable reduces opportunities for mentoring and other non-billable activities. Due to how many people work from home or other offices, it can be hard to get ahold of people in person. The re-org has disconnected a lot of networks and connections that were important for many reasons, including distributing workload and making sure those reviewing us were in the same office as us.

3 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Profit margin and bottom line is their greatest concern

27 Mar 2017 - HVAC Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people I worked with were generally very good people

Cons

When I first started with CH2M Hill (WE were Lockwood Greene and CH2M Hill bought us) it seemed like I great place to work. Then the last of the founders retired and things went down hill. Profit margin became the most important thing and if you were not 100% billable you were out. Loyalty to employees became a joke. It was good and now I'm glad I'm out.

21 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company Falling Apart

10 Jan 2017 - Senior Account Manager in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

CH2M had a great brand in the industry and some great people but the recent reorganization (which has been significant) is tearing everything apart. Still have a good technical team but that team is shrinking every week. Good work-from-home concept.

Cons

Environmental group now been run by Jacobs EPC leaders who know little about environmental. Over 1000 people recently left, but most of the long-term CH2M dead weight is still in place because severance would be too high. Environmental group leadership was bad but still profitable, but has gotten worse with the drastic reorganization. Reduced number of account managers significantly (in some markets >70% reduction), so clients are feeling the pain with less good client facing people and less technical doers. The $300 Million loan from Apollo is driving a major push to prepare to go public with Apollo/Bain seemingly making decisions on how to restructure. Only short term wins seem to matter, and cost reductions are constant, like the 1000+ staff reductions since November. Leadership is bad at all levels, from the CEO, to the Jacobs management hires who know little about CH2M core business and clients. What once was a highly ethical and well branded company is now gone - as you have everyone fending for themselves as layoffs have been fairly constant and a new structure that is hard to understand. I know hundreds of people who still work there and none seem happy and most would leave in a heartbeat if they get a good offer. Shipped many jobs oversees - from finance to procurement - and client projects get hit for excessive hours from people who don't seem to know what they are doing. I had a procurement person charge 8 hours to my client project to setup a new vendor and 6 hours from a finance person for creating an invoice. Also, drive for staff to be 100% billable has a lot of staff taking vacation if they can't find work, which doesn't seem right. People without staffing experience are in key staffing roles - which leads to some unethical behaviors. Sad to see a great company fall so quickly.

29 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

"WAS" a Great Place to Work

5 Jan 2017 - Senior Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedule, ability to occasionally work from home, mostly good projects, and mostly good coworkers. Good computer equipment and technical staff.

Cons

As previous review said, non-management engineers must be 98% billable or use PTO. When your PTO is gone, you don't get paid. New system gives you a supervisor in another city who has dozens of subordinates making you just another marble in the bowl. Run out of work and ask for more? Your ignored! Quarterly meetings with the CEO are filled with corporate babble and say nothing useful. Supervisors will hold staff meetings, smile at you, and tell you how important you are to the organization, then treat you like your nothing but a piece of outdated equipment.

28 people found this review helpful
    11. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Slow death of a once great company..

3 Jan 2017 - Senior Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Junior staff have many opportunities to work on a diverse portfolio of projects. Good series of client contracts. Co-workers are, in total, smart, fun and ethical.

Cons

Senior technical talent thinking of coming on board should run away and run away fast. Unsupported unless you are in a very small select group, management has given up on true innovation (despite what they claim), funding for conferences is minimal and focus is on next month not on long term growth. In addition, senior technical staff are expected to be highly billable, even when they had been given OH roles. Management cuts overhead and if you don't have enough billable work you are expected to use your vacation (I kid you not)-- note senior management has no problem spending OH dollars. I have been at CH2 for 18 years and it went from a phenomenal company, focused on its clients and people, to a company whose senior management focuses on themselves. Poorly run for about a decade. Project Managers basically dead end at a certain level due to lack of opportunity. The recent reorganization resulted in many very good people let go (not for performance or workload reasons) and done so in a classless manner. Basically if you were not politically connected you were at risk. Talent is leaving in droves (including senior VP level management who ended up on the wrong side of the reorganization). Various internal tools are a nightmare to work with and support functions outsourced over seas, resulting in massive time wasting. Losing money on some bad projects and senior management keeps telling staff at their quarterly propaganda meetings they have it managed. Unless senior leadership changes, this is a doomed ship. If you have 15 years or more experience avoid CH2M like the plague. Advice to junior staff-- get 2 years of experience and move on, unless you see significant change at the top.

28 people found this review helpful