British Heart Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Found 311 reviews

3.8
British Heart Foundation CEO Simon Gillespie
Simon Gillespie
Pros
  • "Great office and colleagues who are all working hard to help the BHF achieve its long term strategy(in 17 reviews)

• "friendly staff, nice environment, good location(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Charity pay doesn't compete with private sector(in 27 reviews)

• "Often left alone on shop floor as a new volunteer(in 23 reviews)

1. "Fab!!!"

Current Employee - Operations Assistant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly staff Great office Workers are valued and invested in

Cons

Its a bit of a drive to get to work but I would sacrifice this because I love my job so much. I love the change I am makign in people's lives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

British Heart Foundation2019-09-19
  2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Fundraising Support Administrator in Birmingham, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, supportive office environment.

Cons

Limited opportunity for progression in my role.

British Heart Foundation2019-09-18
  3. "Good place"

Current Employee - Shop Worker

I have been working at British Heart Foundation part-time

Pros

great place to work and enjoy

Cons

I can not think of anything

British Heart Foundation2019-09-17

"Good experience"

Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a different approach to retail. Working for a good cause.

Cons

You get abuse from costumers very often and you costumer service team on head office don't support you at all.

Advice to Management

Keep the good staff, they leave the business because they feel they are not appreciated.

British Heart Foundation2019-09-10

"Poor management and no progression"

Former Employee - Ebay in Leeds, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lovely colleagues Flexi hours Lunch/tea breaks Food sometimes provided

Cons

No career progression Poor management Data protection

Advice to Management

I want to start my review by saying I worked with some of the nicest people in this job role it’s just unfortunate that the work environment was so negative and that management here were so disappointing. This work place gives you the promise of staff progression and supporting development but this is unfortunately a lie and only applies to a select favoured few. The glass ceiling is real here, opportunities are... dangled in front of employees but are never achievable. Despite having relevant qualities and expertise for projects you will be overlooked. It was made clear by management that employees have to prove themselves to even be considered for promotion, even then, don’t get your hopes up, internal progression here is practically non existent. Passion in the charity and determination to progress within the company will be used for their benefit. Management’s approach to Mental Health and staff support was confusing, offering support but then asking why people aren’t hitting targets even though colleagues have expressed their issues and need for help. Confidentiality is something that certain members of management here take as a light suggestion. Data protection breeches happened so often I lost count. Sensitive HR information about colleagues past and present was discussed like office gossip. I would advise that management revisits the data protection policy the charity promotes as they are clearly out of touch with the appropriate behaviour and legal responsibilities they are required to adhere to. Also when these breeches were brought to the attention of relevant managers and staff there appeared to never be appropriate action taken, it seems that members of management get away with a lot of misconduct here. Due to the lack of progression and poor management, staff retention is low which is unsurprising. The staff morale is low. It would appear that despite a persons expertise in an area they are still not qualified enough to make a decision and are constantly questioned on their actions. Like any retail environment, there are personal targets, KPIs, ASPs. There is no room for negotiation here, they all have to be perfect or you are doing something wrong. I would advise management to observe their employees job roles and the processes they have to do on a daily basis before they accuse their employees of being the problem. There are so many issues with how stock is processed here that to simply push blame onto the staff for not trying hard enough is shameful. Perhaps celebrate little successes instead of constantly discussing the failures. Perhaps consider all employees instead of the select few. Offer opportunities fairly and openly to employees who want to get involved. “Take care of your employees and they will take care of your business”. Words that I think would be beneficial for management to keep in mind. I began working here really passionate about the charity but unfortunately left feeling that they had become very corporate and inconsiderate of their employees.

British Heart Foundation2019-09-09
  6. "Pretty good"

Former Employee - Retail Assistant

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time

Pros

Management and helping customers was nice

Cons

Long hours, not getting a lot of activities to do in a day

British Heart Foundation2019-08-24

September 3, 2019

Thanks so much for your review. We’re really pleased that you enjoyed helping customers and providing a great customer experience. Thank you for making a life-saving difference, we wish you all the best in your new adventure!

7. "Good but not always something to do"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Eltham, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice friendly people. The manager was really happy to leave me with complicated or important tasks despite being young.

Cons

When the manager changed days no one got me anything to do and it was very boring.

Advice to Management

Be clear on what different ages can be allowed to do as many people were scared to give me jobs deemed complicated even though I was able

British Heart Foundation2019-09-04

September 9, 2019

Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave a review . Feedback from our volunteers is really important and we use it to help improve the volunteering experience at BHF. I'm really pleased that you worked with nice friendly people and that the manager gave you lots of interesting ...

8. "Volunteer"

I have been working at British Heart Foundation part-time

Pros

I get to meet new people

Cons

No cons to be described

British Heart Foundation2019-08-02

August 20, 2019

hello there and thank you for your review . As you have said volunteering is a great way to meet new people and I'm glad you enjoyed that as a volunteer. Thank you for all your support Jo - Volunteering Team

9. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Maidstone, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time for less than a year

Pros

Gained a lot of new skills working behind the scenes and staff are friendly providing flexible hours

Cons

Tasks are often repetitive which can be boring

British Heart Foundation2019-07-22

July 25, 2019

Hello there , thank you for the review. I'm really pleased that you gained lots of new skills , this is a real benefit to volunteering . We aim to give volunteers the chance to try lots of different roles to give variety and prevent repetition, we will take your feedback on board. ...

10. "Bhf"

Current Employee - TILL OPERATOR in Hitchin, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely people Expands skills on a wider range

Cons

There’s a lot of walking on some days

British Heart Foundation2019-07-17

July 31, 2019

Thanks so much for your review! It’s great to see you are building on your skills and that you enjoy working with your colleagues. We wish you continued success with us!

Found 311 reviews