Brightwater Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Brightwater Reviews

Updated Dec 11, 2019

4.2
Brightwater Managing Director Barbara McGrath (no image)
Barbara McGrath
Pros
  • "Hard work and professionalism is rewarded(in 11 reviews)

• "Great place to work, real nice atmosphere(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "such high turnover of staff - daily(in 8 reviews)

• "Like in all recruitment companies there was a high turnover of staff from new people into the industry(in 7 reviews)

1. "Excellent Brand and lucrative work if you can handle it"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Brightwater full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ethical practices all round both internally and with clients and candidates, Clear and competitive commission structure, large portion of roles called in, excellent brand name on market when doing BD, Extremely competent workforce from back office to board level, understanding and helpful when struggling to make target as long as you are meeting your weekly KPIs. Almost zero expectation to take work home which is... rare in recruitment. Personally I liked the formal dress code and felt it helped foster the sense of class synonymous with the brand.

Cons

A lot is expected of you activity wise and in terms of upholding brand name, and you need to be very tough to succeed and stay calm under these expectations. That is as much of a con as you want it to be, for the people who can handle it it means they excel but for those who can't it is a struggle and at times this was hard to watch.

Advice to Management

Middle management need more support in learning how to become good people managers as well as just high billers, for their own sake just as much as for the sake of new employees. Stress often filters down and is worsened by a lack of ability to effectively manage juniors and this can (at times) create a tense atmosphere in what is otherwise an extremely well oiled machine that produces some of the best average... billings per consultant in Dublin.

Brightwater2019-12-11

"Really rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Brightwater full-time for more than a year

Pros

Brightwater is one of the best places I have worked, they have excellent consultants / managers and directors, who you can learn a huge amount from. They also have some of the best technology in the industry, allowing consultants to spend less time trawling through searches and more time out meeting candidates and clients.

Cons

As it is like running your own business it can be hard to switch off.

Advice to Management

Well done on the recent award, Best Large Agency with the NRF, it is very well deserved. I am delighted to be part of a winning team.

Brightwater2019-12-09
  3. "Commercial Director"

Current Employee - Commercial Director in Cork

I have been working at Brightwater full-time

Pros

Brand Awareness & The Management Team.

Cons

Attracting experienced recruiters to the company to support 2020 expansion plans.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Brightwater2019-11-14
  4. "Awful place to work"

I worked at Brightwater full-time

Pros

A select few people were lovely to work with

Cons

Horrible management who pretend to care about staff but just micro-manage and give you a lot of pointless tasks to do just to give the appearance of good management. No room to be promoted but you're expected to bend over backwards. Very old fashioned policy on dress code, even for a professional services body. A lot of unprofessional behaviour from senior members of staff to anyone beneath them. Absolutely no... incentives like pension, healthcare etc. The highest turnover rate you can imagine. About 2 staff members a month on average leave. They pack way too many people into the office, you have no space to breathe. There are also meetings about meetings about meetings that are a waste of time!

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter because it'll never change

Brightwater2019-12-04

"Best Company I have ever joined"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Brightwater full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great support from Senior Management, Admin and the entire BW collective Very friendly and professional environment Social events are fantastic Learning and Development Opportunities

Cons

I do not have any cons to mention

Advice to Management

I started in Brightwater a few months ago and I have enjoyed every minute of it. The on-boarding process was absolutely amazing and informative. I am a team player but I also like to work on my own initiative. Coming from an in-house recruitment background, I was giving interviews on my own within my first week. By my 6th week, I made my first 2 placements. I could not have been able to achieve this without the... support from my colleagues and my management. During my time here thus far, I have learned an awful lot. I have developed my commercial skills and I enjoy the fast paced aspect of the work. I am very happy to be part of the Brightwater team.

Brightwater2019-06-21

"Great"

I have been working at Brightwater full-time

Pros

Really enjoyed my time here.

Cons

Nothing applicable that I can think of.

Brightwater2019-06-12

"Consultant"

I worked at Brightwater full-time

Pros

If you work hard it will pay off

Cons

nothing to complain about really

Brightwater2019-05-13

"Unethical practices"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Brightwater full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked with great people. Some genuinely excellent recruiters to learn from

Cons

I was forced to offer a role to a second choice candidate as a member of senior management didn't like the choice the company made so we lied and said their choice rejected but candidate number 2 accepted. Training is centered around "control" which is code for manipulation. You can't control people. Crazy Friday morning meetings where 50 plus people call numerous irrelevant KPI's

Advice to Management

Care more about people and less about money

Brightwater2018-11-28

"No frills"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Brightwater

Pros

Well established name in Irish recruitment

Cons

Unwilling to change. Victorian dress code. Impossible hiring standards. Very high turnover (even for recruitment). Management free to act how they want. Front and back office/us and them mentality.

Brightwater2018-11-02
  10. "Excellent company to work for- great management and staff"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Brightwater full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really look after their staff Fun place to work a lot of opportunity to grow Great training from Senior experts in the industry Hold a great reputation in the industry

Cons

Could have better benefits Casual Friday none N/A Nothing more to add

Brightwater2018-10-10