Brightwater Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 28 November 2018

3.9
Barbara McGrath

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Hard work and professionalism is rewarded" (in 11 reviews)

• "A really lovely mix of genuinely nice people" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Like in all recruitment companies there was a high turnover of staff from new people into the industry" (in 7 reviews)

• "Long hours at times, but what company doesn't these days, and its the nature of the game" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Excellent company to work for- great management and staff"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really look after their staff
    Fun place to work
    a lot of opportunity to grow
    Great training from Senior experts in the industry
    Hold a great reputation in the industry

Cons

Could have better benefits
    Casual Friday
    none
    N/A
    Nothing more to add

7 Nov 2018 – Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We really appreciate it. One of the main points of pride for us is that we provide really great training and we're constantly looking for ways to... More

"Unethical practices"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I worked at Brightwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with great people.
    Some genuinely excellent recruiters to learn from

Cons

I was forced to offer a role to a second choice candidate as a member of senior management didn't like the choice the company made so we lied and said their choice rejected but candidate number 2 accepted.
    Training is centered around "control" which is code for manipulation. You can't control people.
    Crazy Friday morning meetings where 50 plus people call numerous irrelevant KPI's

Advice to Management

Care more about people and less about money

3 Dec 2018 – Managing Director

I am very sorry that you didn’t come to me at the time if you felt like you do – as you will know from working in BW for a year, we have an open door approach as a Management Team.
     We are very... More

"No frills"

Pros

Well established name in Irish recruitment

Cons

Unwilling to change. Victorian dress code. Impossible hiring standards. Very high turnover (even for recruitment). Management free to act how they want. Front and back office/us and them mentality.

7 Nov 2018 – Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to review - however we're a little puzzled about some of your remarks and can't reconcile them with the reality of working at Brightwater. We work hard to create an... More

4. "Early Days Extremely Positive"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible start time, no expectation to take work home, excellent team spirit, clear communication from management, good salary and capacity to earn excellent commissions.

Cons

An earlier finish on Friday would be nice!

7 Nov 2018 – Managing Director

Thank you so much for your lovely words. We try our best to foster a great team spirit in all three offices and ensure that expectations of our staff are very clear from the get go. We're also firm... More

5. "Perfect environment for a true Sales professional"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training for new starters. Hard work and professionalism is rewarded. Above average salary and bonus structure for the Industry. Management are easily accessible and there is an ‘Open Door’ policy which is adhered too. A great culture of ‘team’ and sharing which is rare in the world of sales and targets. As a new start I have been welcomed warmly, trained well and it was made clear what was expected of me from early interview stages. If you are a true sales person that is professional, enjoys getting stuck in and can learn quickly I believe you will flourish as a consultant here.

Cons

No ‘cons’ per se more a ‘heads up’ - if you are the type of person that wants to float through your day and just get by doing the bare minimum I don’t believe this would be the Company for you - although really if that’s the role your looking for then Sales is not for you either.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

6. "I'm proud to work at Brightwater."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Almost 2 decades in existence and Brightwater is a well known brand, respected by our clients and competitors alike. Working for Brightwater brings a certain pride that I enjoy. For me, it is knowing that it is the best place to be as a professional recruiter, I've seen what other companies put on the table for a recruiter. Ultimately, Brightwater offer everything you need to be successful once you are willing to put in the hard work, see the big picture and are open to continuously learning. Also, from.personal experience, it is quite simply harder to make money elsewhere. If you want to get better at what you do, then they help you do that via a training structure tailored to your level and using several methodologies (formal classroom, deskside, one-to-one, etc). Throw in some truly amazing, hard working colleagues (I won't name names but they know who they are!) and a positive, supportive culture and you can see why it is easy to be proud to work here.

Cons

I wish I could say it is easy to get promoted but it is quite hard. Expectations are high. But when you think about it, that's good, really. An easily done thing is usually not a thing worth doing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing, especially in the last few years: adapt to the market, listen to the staff and keep pushing the envelope in recruitment.

"Excellent"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management
    Set you up for success
    Great commission structure
    Really nice teams and people

Cons

no complaints
    I don`t have any cons
    Positive experience

"I love coming into work again."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at 2 recruitment company's before, and I feel like I did when I started in recruitment. I love my work! I had heard great things about Brightwater, but then read some comments from ex employees that gave me pause. What I can honestly say is that this is a fantastic company. People are fantastic. Hard working, professional, open, friendly and respectful. I have never worked in such an encouraging and positive environment. I cannot ever imagine leaving, unless it were to set-up myself. Most of my jobs come in, or when you ring around it is so different calling from Brightwater than my last companies. I love coming into work again and I'm delighted.

Cons

I really don't have any cons for you. Some comments say they are long hours, but I have no problem at all. Working at Brightwater until 6, is a lot shorter day than working at my old company until 5.30!

Advice to Management

Not my place to say really, it just seems a great company so they must be doing it right and I want to learn from them how to do it right.

"Loved my time at Brightwater."

Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I worked at Brightwater (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am normally not one to write reviews but I am really confused by the negative comments written on this site about Brightwater. It seems like some sort of campaign to make the company look bad and I really don't understand why. My time there was one of the happiest working experiences I have had thus far in my career and would recommend them to everyone. I moved on for personal reasons only and would still be there today if circumstances allowed. If you want to just sit around and do the least amount of work possible then yes, maybe you should look elsewhere. But if you want to learn, make good friends, be recognised for your hard work, be supported by management and really succeed then this is the company for you. David, Barbara and team are great. Go work there if you can!!

Cons

Really can't think of any. I worked long hours but that is more because of my work ethic rather than them expecting any sort of ridiculously long day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

20 Jul 2017 – Deputy Managing Director

Thank you very much for kindly taking the time to write this positive review. As you may know, all the management at Brightwater believe that happy employees are usually successful employees and... More

"I guess I'm not Brightwater material!"

I worked at Brightwater full-time

Pros

Some nice people but most likely they have all left by now.

Cons

Many horrible people, stuffy old building, freakish levels of micro managment. Crazy rates of staff turnover. Lots of fake smiles from staff for fear of being sacked for not being brightwater material. What is brightwater material? They want submissive 'yes' people. New ideas are frowned upon by managers, they are too insecure. Very old fashioned company, dress code was pulled from an edition of Good housewives guide. Avoid this company.

Advice to Management

No point as management dont listen.

20 Jul 2017 – Deputy Managing Director

Having read your interesting review, I feel that a response is merited. On behalf of all the management at Brightwater we are so sorry that you were not happy with us and that you felt you were not... More