Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated Jun 11, 2019

4.8
Bloomberg L.P. Founder Michael R. Bloomberg
Michael R. Bloomberg
  1. "Overall great place to be"

Current Employee - Financial Software Developer in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Been here over 5 years, always have been encouraged a healthy WLB. - the work has always been interesting - Food is great (NJ office). - Internal mobility is encouraged. - philanthropy is highly encouraged and it feels good to work for a place trying to make the world better

Cons

- Seems a lot of teams have trouble defining clear roles / roadmaps / expectations. - Some teams just simply have lazy people (but I guess that's anywhere)

Advice to Management

Team goals should be more clearly defined

Bloomberg L.P.2019-06-12

"Software developer"

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than a year

Pros

- New London office is very nice - Good management: My team lead, manager, manager^2, and manager^3 are all excellent. They're enthusiastic, know the product and have programming backgrounds. I'm confident about the direction they're leading my team in and the work we're doing, and they're invested in cleaning up the tech debt created by previous management. They also know and care about the team, each of them... knowing me, my skills, shortcomings and desires. My team lead especially has pushed to give me opportunities to advance and have a greater positive impact at Bloomberg. - Good compensation

Cons

- Legacy tech stack. We're working on cleaning this up, but in the area I work there's a considerable amount of C and Fortran code. Most of it quite nasty. C is converted to C++ when we touch it, and fortran is 99% just being read to debug a problem, and not modified. I have had to change it a few times though in the last 12 months. - Long hours. 8-6 is the contracted hours, but I work more like 8:30-6. Manager is... explicitly not-fussed about what time you arrive or leave, as long as you get your work done. I'd rather work 9-5, but I'm paid enough to live with it.

Advice to Management

Hold course. We're moving in the right direction, and I think things will keep getting better.

Bloomberg L.P.2017-12-10

"Work experience at Bloomberg"

Senior Financial Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. for more than 3 years

Pros

Enriching experience, very professional. Challenging work, everyday was different. Never had to worry about work getting monotonous. Fast paced, dynamic. Learnt a lot about giving back to the community. Great HR team.

Cons

Not much flexibility with timings and leaves.

Bloomberg L.P.2016-07-30

"Definitely a good 1st company to work for"

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Working with smart people, most of them are ready to help - Well furnished pantry where you can grab a coffee with colleagues - Lot of training options for you to learn (even if not directly related to your working domain) - Possibility to move within the company (change team) - Get to travel quite a lot depending how much you are involved in outside-work activities - Philanthropy: if you like it, you can get... involved into helping the world - Bloomberg matches most of the financial donation you make - Flexibility. If you have a good reason you can have a flexible schedule (6am - 4pm, for example) - In general, management will try to please employees (as well as interns)

Cons

- Long hours of work, not ideal for work/life balance - Team Leader management is sometimes flaky - Performance Review Evaluation doesn't seem to be consistent between teams, which make it unfair in some cases - You need to be ready to show-off to make sure you get noticed and get a fair review at the end of the year

Bloomberg L.P.2016-04-21
  5. "Good Place, could be better"

Current Employee - Financial Software Developer

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Perks, good pay, different teams and cultures, friendly

Cons

Depending on the team your experience could be bad or good.

Bloomberg L.P.2016-03-14

"Financial Software Developer"

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and approachable peers and managers Care about training their developers in new technologies

Cons

Unconventional technology stack with lots of in-house software (although this is changing) Fairly large organisation, so things can move a little slow

Advice to Management

Push for system stability and open source technology adoption even greater Make hiring process for graduates more difficult -- low standard means many average developers and poorer tech (more is not always better)

Bloomberg L.P.2016-02-29

"pretty good!"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits. Excellent salaries for software developers. Autonomy/self direction are encouraged.

Cons

Long hours, and always on call. All my teams have eaten lunch at their desks. Idiosyncratic and immature processes, though getting better. Management that "Gets It" on technical debt.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent; important policy decisions just get announced ex cathedra and attempts to understand the motivations are deflected. Value the buy in by not being heavy handed.

Bloomberg L.P.2016-02-10

"Great colleagues, huge corporation"

Financial Software Developer in London, England

I worked at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

Working with extremely intelligent, kind, and dedicated people. Learning opportunities never cease in either financial or technical domains. Salary and benefits are unbelievable. The name is well-respected in the financial world. Very tolerant and patient with new developers. Offices throughout the world can make travel a lot of fun.

Cons

By virtue of being such a large company with thousands of developers, Bloomberg can't always offer interesting projects to everyone, so it takes a long time to make tangible impact on a product. Development is very slow because the developer tools are either nonexistent or impossible to use. There are many incomplete home-brew solutions. WIth that said, there has been a lot of effort to correct these issues and... retain talent over the years. Not a lot of interaction between the various divisions of the company.

Advice to Management

The team leaders are some of the most hard-working people in the company, and it's rare to see support from their managers.

Bloomberg L.P.2016-02-04
  9. "R&D"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Software Developer

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Has always been a meritocracy. You do a good job you get rewarded. You do a great job and you will be greatly rewarded.

Cons

The pace can be ridiculous as there is always a push to release more product and make existing products better, stronger, faster. So if you are not up for that, not the place for you.

Bloomberg L.P.2016-01-22

"Your experience will vary wildly with the team"

Current Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the newer teams are working on really cool stuff. If you get into one of these teams, you will have lots of fun. The culture is laidback; no one cares if you walk in at 11 am unlike some of the older teams where the manager will take you aside and lecture you if you come at 9:35 instead of 9:30. Don't join the older teams. You'll work on the same thing for your entire time, sometimes not even pushing any... code to production for months on end, ending up in the project being cancelled. Some of these notorious teams are: Any of the "yellow key" groups such as Equities and Mortgages, some of the realtime teams such as BPIPE, Ticker Plant, Data License. The cool teams are Software Infrastructure, and some foundational application teams.

Cons

Lots of cliques, particularly in the older teams. Avoid the older teams.

Advice to Management

Modernize legacy teams. Pay more attention to software best practices.

Bloomberg L.P.2015-11-08