Blackboard Reviews

Updated 10 Aug 2020

3.8
Blackboard CEO Bill Ballhaus
Bill Ballhaus
Pros
  • "I had a great work/life balance(in 53 reviews)

• "The work life balance cannot be beat, most departments offer very flexible work situations(in 36 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Amazing mission to advance learning around the globe!"

Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The most amazing people to work with who understand the importance of advancing learning around the world. Blackboard cultivates diversity and have the best skilled people at the front lines.

Cons

Long hours sometimes hard with work and home life balance.

2. "CV Carolina Pintor"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great employer, time flexibility, great beneficies

Cons

Old in the market, not well known in the market, not well known as a company

3. "Not too horrible, mostly too much like working for an outsourcing company and a temp agency."

Former Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Somerset, KY

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay, good training, and support tools

Cons

Horrible bureaucracy, high turn-over, nepotism The better you do the more you will be expected to do, good performance is mostly rewarded with more work and a pat on the back.

4. COVID-19

"Really feel like I’m part of a team making a difference both for and with our clients across the education community"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Innovation and pride in our solutions underpinned by the ethos of doing the right thing for our clients and wider team. Solid commitment to an extensive agenda of equality, diversity and inclusion, not lip service but meaningful actions. Delivered extensively and at high quality throughout Covid with underlying care for employees and clients alike. CPD for employees delivered to empower and engage across adaptive teams leaving behind a feeling of value and worth.

Cons

A legacy image in some people's eyes of being big and not in tune with clients is vastly old and out of date but it's down to the whole team to earn the removal of that out stereotyped image and see us as we are today and where we are going.

"Management is a joke."

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Somerset, KY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you end up around who stay are oftentimes great people that you will enjoy talking to. The work isn't hard as long as you know how to use a computer and have enough patience to handle callers who don't know what a browser is. Pay isn't bad and there are some bonuses here and there.

Cons

I came in able to choose from available shifts. Since they have a couple shift bids a year, I instantly went from having the best shift possible, to the worst shift possible, because I hadn't been around long enough to have a good ranking. Also, better positions frequently open up but who gets it is more likely the person with connections than the person who has worked the most for it.

Continue reading
  6. "Seasonal Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Covington, KY

I have been working at Blackboard full-time

Pros

Full work day, Overtime available, supportive management

Cons

Pay is not a livable income for single person

7. "Software QA"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer

I worked at Blackboard full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, great benefits

Cons

frequent management changes, no stability

Blackboard Response

August 5, 2020Sr Employer Branding and Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for leaving us a review. We agree that we prioritize work-life balance, especially in these trying times. We understand that change can be tough. Blackboard has been on a journey to align our resources to ensure that we are positioned to become a thriving company. That means making adjustments and aligning our resources to focus on the most critical initiatives. If you have any other feedback, please feel free to email employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

8. COVID-19

"Typical Micromanaged Call Center"

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Blackboard full-time

Pros

-Work schedules you chose from are typically M-F -Work from home due to COVID19 -Company supplies equipment -Easy enough of a job (they like to make it harder than it needs to be though)

Cons

-You have to account for every minute of your day no exceptions -Trainers and managers get upset if you use the restroom outside of your scheduled break or lunch -If you forget an apostrophe or a comma in your notes you lose points on a call among MANY other ridiculous things for calls. -No wiggle room to be an individual recognized for hard work and ideas. It is strictly numbers and metrics. Average handle time is king and your ideas are better kept in your head. -They don't pay enough. You will still qualify for food stamps. -Blackboard is the state standardized testing of jobs. Nothing else matters besides what they deem important so they can pander to the contracts they have.

Continue reading
  9. "Great working experience"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Brno

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting and appealing area of business. By its size it fulfills a corporation definition, but it doesn't act like one. The working environment is very pleasant with great work/life balance. Nice office in the middle of the city without open space (may be a con for someone). Opportunities to travel. Lots of different benefits.

Cons

The career progression, at least in a team where I was, is not so straight forward. Single teams/products work in silos and don't share too much knowledge and resources between each other.

10. "A People Company"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Somerset, KY

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Employee Centric Company, Development Driven, Benefits, Flexible Scheduling, Career Opportunities, Educational Leader in the Education Technology Market, Open to feedback from employees to make improvements.

Cons

Occupancy to Workload, Employee Burnout, Internal Resources

Blackboard Response

August 5, 2020Sr Sourcing Specialist

We appreciate you leaving us a review. We agree that we are a company focused on our employees and their development. We are proud to be able to offer flexible schedules, career advancement opportunities, and educational opportunities while navigating the transition to working from home. We understand that, especially during these unprecedented times, employee burnout can be an issue. Evaluating employee workload as well as IT resources for our call center employees is something we can improve upon. If you have any further suggestions on how we can best do this, please feel free to reach out to employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

Found 614 reviews