Black & McDonald Reviews

Updated 15 Jun 2020

3.9
Black & McDonald Co-CEO Ian McDonald
Ian McDonald
  1. "Family Owned, Family Operated"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Black & McDonald full-time

Pros

- Family values, which is good for those who do not abuse their power - Work does have a good sense of accomplishment

Cons

- Family operated (can be unorganized at times) - Do not enforce industry best practices - Long hours and high expectations, work is 8-5

February 27, 2019Corporate Human Resources Administrator

We appreciate your feedback and the time you took to post your review. Thank you for your dedication and hard work as a member of the Black & McDonald team! We are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate your feedback.

2. "Director of Operations"

5.0
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in Toronto, ON

I worked at Black & McDonald full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great family company excellent management, everyone who works for them is family

Cons

none that I can think of

February 27, 2019Corporate Human Resources Administrator

We appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review. Thank you for your dedication and hard work as a member of the Black & McDonald team! We are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate your feedback.

3. "Good company"

I have been working at Black & McDonald full-time

Pros

Good employees, laid back work environment, good benefits

Cons

Pay isn’t great, long hours

February 27, 2019Corporate Human Resources Administrator

Thank you for your hard work as a member of the Black & McDonald team. We appreciate your review and feedback. We are always looking to learn and improve and are grateful for your feedback.

4. "Just Numbers"

1.0
    Former Employee - Electrician in Malton, ON

I worked at Black & McDonald full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the people who work there have the best intentions to help, made a few friends in the year I worked there. If you are a lying lazy thief you'll succeed here!

Cons

They have bought local 787!! They are not there for you, at the end of the day you are just a number. Lower management (for FMO at GTAA) is the worst management team I have ever dealt with. Not once, in the year I worked there, they had asked me if I needed help or cared for what I was doing, in fact I don't think they even understand what their trade employees do. Management is only there to please the customer (comic relief) and to rip them off. Overworked and underpaid. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU!! 2.5 Billion dollar company that gets very uneasy when you ask for safety equipment. Safety is a joke.

February 27, 2019Corporate Human Resources Administrator

We are very sorry to hear your experience with Black & McDonald was not a positive one. We consider people our greatest asset and take your feedback very seriously. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and giving us the opportunity to learn and improve.

5. "Hard work can pay off. Some frustrations"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Black & McDonald full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steady company with opportunities to work on many varied types of projects.

Cons

Management do not always realize or appreciate how hard the employees work on a daily basis

February 27, 2019Corporate Human Resources Administrator

6. "Best company you could wish to work for!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Black & McDonald full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can't imagine a better company to work for in terms of support and communication.

Cons

Below average salary especially for the hours you put in as a salary employee.

February 27, 2019Corporate Human Resources Administrator

Thank you for your hard work as a member of the Black & McDonald team. We appreciate your review. We are always looking to learn and improve and are grateful for your feedback.

7. "Associate Business Development"

Current Employee - Associate Business Development Representative

I have been working at Black & McDonald full-time for less than a year

Pros

They offer a great training and competitive salary. Good middle and upper management.

Cons

Cannot think of any as of it.

8. "Training Specialist"

1.0

I worked at Black & McDonald full-time

Pros

- Co-workers - Cross functional integration

Cons

- No appreciation - Management does not care about workers, just results - No respect - No work/Life balance - Expectations are unrealistic, yet demanded - Zero room for advancement and development in department - Treated as transient - Forced to work in undesirable, unethical situations - Too much concern with optics versus rightful actions - Favouritism

November 7, 2018Corporate Human Resources Administrator

We are really sorry to hear your experience with Black & McDonald was not a positive one. Our employees are our greatest asset, and we take your feedback very seriously. Your comments will be shared with the relevant departments for their followup. Thank you again for your feedback.

9. "Coordinator"

I have been working at Black & McDonald full-time

Pros

-Lots of opportunities; many projects to be involved in -Travel (if you like going to different places)

Cons

-Travel: many projects may be away from your main stay of residence; may potentially impact work life balance

September 12, 2018Corporate Human Resources Administrator

10. "Good Experience"

I have been working at Black & McDonald full-time

Pros

I haven't been here that long, but so far it seems like a good place to work. The company and management are top notch.

Cons

My job position is unengaging and boring, but that is the nature of this kind of work. Doesn't seem like there is any room to advance.

September 14, 2018Corporate Human Resources Administrator