Cover image for Bechtel

Bechtel

Engaged Employer

Bechtel

Add a Review

Bechtel Employee Reviews about "9 80 schedule"

Updated 11 Sept 2023

Found 18 of over 2K reviews

4.1
Bechtel Chief Executive Officer Brendan Bechtel
Brendan Bechtel

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your private company bowl on Community, join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "Good benefits and love the 3(in 157 reviews)
  • "good pay and on time(in 153 reviews)
  • "Some really great people and managers who bring a wealth of experience and will look out for their team members.(in 105 reviews)
  • "Good Salaries based on role(in 77 reviews)
  • "Work life balance is good(in 76 reviews)
Cons

Reviews about "9 80 schedule"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      11 Nov 2012
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Recommend
      CEO Approval
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Going on an international assignment is a great way to save money and to clear all your debt in just a year or two and that is it. I recommend just leaving the company after you clear your debt and are able to save money for a large purchase such as a house. -If you work in the U.S. the 9/80 schedule is awesome and you get an optional 4 weeks of vacation which is most than other companies. -You get an extra month of vacation while on international assignments and you have an opportunity to travel the world.

Cons

-You live in a prison like atmosphere in some of the international assignments. -You have no say in the company as they move you around like a pawn in a game of chess with only a few days of notice before they expect you to move. If you try to extend the period of time before the move by just a couple of weeks then you are threatened to be fired. -Company is not innovative in any way what so ever. An example is when the company recently bid for a new bridge project in New York made of concrete and was the only company to do so. Their argument was that it would save the government money in long term maintenance costs, but the design was a complete eyesore and would have pissed many people off to see where their tax paying money went. -There is a lot of secretcy in the company and a lot of employees have worked with the CIA. For being the largest contractor in the world, no one has ever heard of them. Even my fellow engineering colleagues in college never heard of the company until I joined. -No such thing as work life balance while on an international assignment. You are expected to work 50-60 hours regularly a week and most people work more than that. -Very hierarchy style of management which is very frustrating, espcially in a new age when start up companies are knocking down barriers to allow managers and employees to talk openly. -Only useful training that the company offers is 6 Sigma. Anything else, forget about it. -Ethics are supposed to be very high with the company, but we join forces with other companies who are known to be unethical. -Nepotism is very strong within the company as it prevents others from getting the opportunity that they might deserve more. -Company will not last very long unless they continue to hire international employees as it goes against everything that Generation Y is looking for in a career. Very old school way of thinking and running a business.

1. 2.0
        26 May 2020
        Senior Engineer
        Current Employee, more than 3 years
        Houston, TX
        Recommend
        CEO Approval
        Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, 9/80 schedule, 4 weeks of holidays available

Cons

Not managed well. Wrong people advance in the company, resulting in putting short term benefits over long term image of the company. Too much cost cutting in expense of quality

2. Join the Bechtel team

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

190.8K

Underwriter

During my interview with a Vice President, he mentioned that the "background check" had been reviewed. He brought up cities I had lived in at one point, even though I hadn't included that information on my resume or LinkedIn profile, though it is accurate. Additionally, he was aware of my entrepreneurship experience, which I had not disclosed anywhere. I'm curious about the source of this information. I'm currently progressing through the interview rounds without any offer or signed documents.

Underwriter

I’m moving on to round 3 of the interview process after speaking with the VP and it’ll be with peers. My position would be Insurance Product Manager so the peers would be internal stakeholders (Sales, Engineering, Underwriting, Actuary, etc.) What kind of questions typically do peer interviews ask?

Amaleia Little

I have an interview tomorrow for a position as a Fundraiser Specialist for a company that raises funds for children. Any insight or advice to give? I do not have any experience working in fundraising but have worked in sales and have worked in childcare for several years. Thank you!

0 Comments

Glassdoor has 2,339 Bechtel reviews submitted anonymously by Bechtel employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Bechtel is right for you.