Barchester Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Barchester Healthcare Reviews

Updated 21 Jan 2020

Barchester Healthcare CEO Dr Pete Calveley
Dr Pete Calveley
Pros
  • "Residents and their families care staff work hard(in 14 reviews)

• "Residents were mostly lovely and other carers were friendly(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Minimum wage for carers and ancillary staff, 'clunky' IT systems, too much paper rather than electronic equivalents(in 19 reviews)

• "Long hours, management always wanting more and make night staff attend training during they’re sleep time(in 14 reviews)

"It is a company made only for money! Bathester Ireland"

Former Employee - Pre-Reg and Staff Nurse in Trim
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pros... The pros are the residents! They have been lovely! They made me stay that long. Some of staff were nice too.

Cons

Now. Here are a lot. 1They were bullying me. Yes. I felt bullied and I was lots of time treat like garbage. 2 I came in december 2015 working as a pre reg nurse. In that time, until I recieved my PIN I was treated like no one there. One day working as a carrer and next day doing nothing as a pre reg. I understant the stupid law that not alows you give meds until you have your PIN, but still. Who the hell need in 2016 a PIN number and a special signature for a stupid Paracetamol? 3 Management. They just have no ideea about what is the job. They need about a full month to finish a rooster. I have to mention that sometimes we recived the rooster only 2 days before to start. Stupid. Management doesn't give a crap on what you think or what you need. All they care about is what they need. 4 Lack of staff. The biggest turnover I've ever seen all my life. Over 30 staff leaving and comming in the last 6 months. 5 Management advised people to talk to "best nurses" when they were complaining. That came from us, not the best nurses when adviced people to think. Management makes huge differences between people there. 6 Lots of infection possibilities. Sometimes NO gloves. Don't have to mention that during a huge "bug" made the place close for quarantine about 3 weeks. That time the staff didn't have any protection, only the gloves. No masks or any clothes to keep yourself safe. 7 Salaries, I had 18.50 promised as full time nurse. The contract said that very clear. During my pre reg period I was paid with 12.50 euros. Way to much for what I've been doing. The carrers are paid by 9.88/h. During my pre reg period, I went on anual leave. Before to go, I recived my PIN. Guess what. They told me that my 18.50 is starting when I go back. Not the same as in contract. 8 The last thing, I gave them my resignation letter, with exactly the notice period of the time they asked. After that they were calling me, begging to do 2 more weeks. I said yes. After first week when I decided to work 3 days, only worked 2, I left. I had some problems and I had to leave. Now, because I had under a full year I still had to pay them back 28 hours. Worked those 2 days. The problem is that I did not recived any payments for them. Just because I did not went there for another week. That was so childish. I was laughing around about that. Now, I intent to sue them because of the payment during my A/L and for the bully I was reciving there.

Advice to Management

There is nothing you can do. In your place mr, I would be ashamed. It is sad. Just because of those nice residents you have!

Barchester Healthcare2016-09-13
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Ipswich, England

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management and leadership team

Cons

None that I can think of.

Barchester Healthcare2020-01-21
  3. "Excellent employer!"

Current Employee - Acting General Manager in Witney, England

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked for Barchester for 1 and half years. I started as a bank nurse, soon became permanent and progressed from there to Clinical Lead, then Deputy manager and now acting general manager. Barchester is a fantastic company to work for. Lots of employee benefits and very good career progression opportunities.

Cons

None I can think of!

Barchester Healthcare2020-01-16

"Professional and caring"

Former Employee - RMN Staff Nurse in Launceston, England

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent place. Well staffed. Very caring. Excellent facilities for staff. Spacious rooms for residents. Lots of fun activities for residents. Lots of free learning for CPD. Excellent nursing care within a warm and homely atmosphere.

Cons

I really can not think of anything bad about the establishment. It is only when you leave and work somewhere else you realise what an excellent place it is. Pay could be better .

Advice to Management

review pay scale

Barchester Healthcare2019-12-17
  5. "Great Staff, Poor Company"

Current Employee - Kitchen Assistant

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare part-time

Pros

Great Staff, Lovely residents and dinners

Cons

Poor Central Office, out of touch

Barchester Healthcare2019-12-15
  6. "Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Truro, England

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Home has a modern and welcoming reception area.

Cons

Went to enquire about an advertised post and manager discussed my personal information in the reception area. Admonishing cleaning staff in front of me whilst walking round reception checking for dust. Informed me that doesn't care what people think, it's her way or the highway!!!!!! Have worked for Barchester before and carried out a whistleblowing due to significant safeguarding concerns but would not want to return under this management. Refused an interview due to being a previous employee ???

Advice to Management

Treat prospective employees with more respect so that recruitment and retention increases. Cornwall is a small county and reputations spread quickly.

Barchester Healthcare2020-01-12
  7. "good employer"

Former Employee - General-Manager in Cheshire, CT

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

supportive line management and good staff engagement

Cons

high fees but not great staffing levels

Barchester Healthcare2019-12-06
  8. "Decent place"

Former Employee - Bank Healthcare Assistant in Llanelli, Wales
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Barchester Healthcare part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good training & Plenty of shifts available

Cons

Difficult environment, Terrible bank pay

Barchester Healthcare2019-11-13
  9. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Horsham, England

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent induction, good training opportunities and bonuses. Management have open door policy and pay for staff is better than other homes in sector

Cons

The care planning system still not electronic and paper based system.

Barchester Healthcare2019-11-12
  10. "Great company, great boss, great ceo"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camberley, England

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Communication is slick, open, honest and timely. Company motivates staff and is fair in supporting with issues

Cons

None so far that I can think of

Barchester Healthcare2019-10-28