Baker & Taylor Sales Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 3 Aug 2017

2.1
Baker & Taylor President and CEO 	George Coe
George Coe

"Refocusing its message to determine it's future under, another, new owner."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

book discounts. mostly hard-working co-workers who are all trudging on and support each other.

Cons

Old school book distributor, adverse to new techniques and business opportunities. Too many new "top" priorities but they fail to support old, existing programs. Reducing PTO benefits under new ownership (Follett). New leadership has limited power (G. Coe is out!). Direction from upper mgmt is random and not to all revenue teams.

Advice to Management

Respect all teams/departments and support them. Encourage communication and don't allow in-fighting among teams.

Baker & Taylor2017-08-03

"Not bad"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Newark, NJ

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time

Pros

If you live nearby and have a car it's not bad. My manager was super supportive and let me have a good amount of autonomy, but at the same time I always knew I could ask him for help.

Cons

Sometimes trying to get things done or fixed felt like banging my head against a wall. Also the offices themselves are pretty depressing. Not as many benefits as I was used to at other employers.

Baker & Taylor2016-07-22

"Not even mediocre"

Current Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours. You can buy books, DVD's and CD's at a discount. The people are great to work with and there are some people in key positions that are very good.

Cons

Be ready to work a lot of overtime if you are salaried. The work is piled on. No work/life balance allowed. Frequently skip yearly raises so you are effectively getting a pay cut. No other raises unless you are promoted into a vacant position. The benefits are poor. Only 6 holidays a year, poor 401k match, and be ready to pay most of your own medical bills. Managers have no management training so your bosses skills may be good or bad. If you have a sales comp plan they will find ways to take back money you have earned.

Advice to Management

You need to stop chasing the latest catastrophe stop managing to spreadsheets and learn how to really manage the business based on the needs of the business and the people.

Baker & Taylor2015-08-14

"Poor management and no direction in the school market."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work schedule tied to school year

Cons

Limited database for customers. Limited growth with no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Upper management is non-responsive

Baker & Taylor2013-10-13

"Great co-workers, bad management"

Former Employee - Sales in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've never met such a great group of people to work WITH -- everyone works hard, your coworkers are good, kind, helpful, and supportive people.

Cons

Upper management does not communicate effectively with the rank and file, who go above and beyond every day for almost no recognition. Human Resources dept. experiences consistent turnover, which is a red flag. Benefits are among the worst in the industry. Many in upper management are territorial to a fault. Raises are almost nonexistent, public praise is far too infrequent.

Advice to Management

Value the hard work your employees put in every day instead of treating them like badly-behaved children. Salary and benefits do not begin to match the effort that employees put in. This company used to be like a close-knit family, new management treats employees more like indentured servants.

Baker & Taylor2012-12-14
  6. "Your are expected to dedicate your life to work not work to live."

Inside Sales

I have been working at Baker & Taylor

Pros

Short commute with low traffic

Cons

Expected to work long hours, regardless of family responsibilities. Not being available 7x24x365 is considered poor performance. They walk the fine line when it comes to what are legal employment practices.

Advice to Management

reduce management, reward emplyoyees for hard work.

Baker & Taylor2011-05-24