BP "oil prices" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

BP Employee Reviews about "oil prices"

Updated 27 Aug 2019

3.7
BP Group Chief Executive Bob Dudley
Bob Dudley
1,443 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "oil prices"

Return to all Reviews

"Overall good"

Current Employee - Data Coordinator in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at BP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay, bonus, benefits, coworkers, overall culture and mindset

Cons

Big global company that at times is too top heavy to make decisions. Can be a large disconnect between local business units central teams (people in London and Houston don’t always know how oil and gas production works and the ramifications and effort it takes to deliver what is asked). Also BP likes to change, saying around here goes “if you don’t like something, wait two years, it’ll change.” Can’t learn from mistakes, constantly changing systems to new systems that don’t work properly, unsupported and don’t meet requirements. Have now started rolling out new enterprise systems that don’t work properly for weeks after launch and with no actual training on how they work. Employees are expected to just figure it for themselves. Lots debt and expenses from oil spill, oil price downturn and buying assets has led them to sell current assets.

Advice to Management

5-6 reorgs and asset sales in 8 years wears moral down.

BP2019-08-28
  2. "Good salary & benefits, opportunities to move internationally, promotes from within, bureaucratic."

Current Employee - Supply Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary, benefits and work life balance are all good (at least compared to consulting). Its competitive, but not nearly as competitive as consulting so easy to stand out if that's your background.

Cons

The industry is volatile with oil prices and goes through periodic reorganizations. Need to be strategic about the positions you select at the Company to make sure you remain valuable. Yearly average pay bumps are low unless you're a really good performer. This is pretty common for large corporations though.

BP2019-08-03
  3. "Good work facilities and colleagues."

Current Employee - Coordinator in Sunbury-on-Thames, England

I have been working at BP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Multi-national so diverse working environment and working across many time zones. Well paid. Good colleagues and a variety of work. Potential to progress (when oil price high). Work life balance respected. Values and behaviours enforced.

Cons

Uncertainty (oil price) with regular reorganisations / job cuts. Training not as good or available as it could be.

BP2018-10-25

"Overall Good Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work life balance, good compensation and reward structure, Collaborative work environment

Cons

Organizational structuring changed at least twice during a five year period, layoffs due drop in oil prices, Nepotism

Advice to Management

Work to retain and professionally develop a diverse workforce.

BP2017-12-10

"Great company to work for but career progression is limited"

Former Employee - Service Manager in Sunbury-on-Thames, England

I worked at BP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent benefits, great training development

Cons

Face-fit culture rather than choosing the best person for the job. Volatility of oil prices causes re-organisations and downsizing every two or three years so job security is uncertain

Advice to Management

Provide employees with clear structure for career advancement. Training alone is not sufficient. Secondment and mentoring should help.

BP2017-12-21

"CRT"

I worked at BP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best Oil Industry Company in the world

Cons

Oil prices went down and career opportunities reduced

BP2017-10-18

"Use Caution Before Accepting An Offer"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

BP offer excellent salary, benefits, and perks however none of that can makeup up for some of the things that need fixing at BP. Also in general BP top management is in general okay.

Cons

I worked for BP for 5.5 years until my boss decided he wants to let me go so he can bring in his own friend to take over my job despite the fact that I I took over the job of a person 2 level higher than me with much higher salary with absolutely no salary increase and a lot more workload and the workload kept adding up in the 3 years afterward with the same salary. During my time at BP I was on the receiving end of 3 cases of violation of what they call their code of conduct and although they say they investigate but they do nothing about it. I had many bosses during the 5.5 years ranging from the total manipulative one at the end to one that was a bully to one that only worried about his advancement. Issue at BP is not top management but the middle management and extreme case of corporate politics and advancement based on who you know and how well you can manipulate and bully people rather than merit. BP tends to move from one spending extreme to another spending all the time and money when time is good managing quality, performance, and cost and then cut everything when oil prices go down putting themselves in the same situation than DeepWaterHorizon.

Advice to Management

Manage your middle management don't let them waste the talent and enthusiasm of a great workforce. Manage your money better and think more long term. Be closer to the people who do the actual work and for God sake get ride of all these levels of management. Management does not get work done and does not find the oil, drill the well, and produce it regular employees do. Why does an engineer need to count 15 people to get to the CEO?

BP2017-09-13
  8. "Reservoir Engineer"

Reservoir Engineer in London, England

I worked at BP

Pros

Opportunities to work on very interesting projects and rotate across different teams/projects every few years. Great place to gain solid reservoir engineering knowledge/experience and operational experiences.

Cons

Huge company and difficult to get anything done as there are so many processes to follow, management bureaucracy and opaque communication channels. Senior management does not value talents in the low-oil price environment and have gone through many rounds of redundancies laying off many experienced staff. Progression to senior levels extremely slow

Advice to Management

Management should do better to retain talents, improve communication channels between senior management and staff, and improve transparency of promotions.

BP2017-06-08
  9. "Amazing experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at BP

Pros

Genuinely lovely people and so helpful. I got to experience a wide range of the business, enjoyed my work and made great friends with the other interns.

Cons

Was and is still suffering from the impacts post-macondo oil spill as well as from current oil prices - I got the impression that there is not much move towards greener energy sources unlike other oil and gas...

BP2017-04-09

"Upstream oil & gas major"

Former Employee - Reservoir Engineer/GoM Reserves Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BP is an excellent company to work for, offering competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

Job security is highly sensible to oil price having constant layoffs than its competitors.

Advice to Management

Plan project financials at lower oil prices so you can retain talented employees. It is not clever to let talented and higly trained employees leave the company after having invested in them a lot of time and money in training.

BP2016-12-21