Avis Budget Group Rental Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated Dec 2, 2019

3.4
Avis Budget Group CEO Larry De Shon
Larry De Shon
  1. "Rental Sales Associate"

Rental Sales Associate in Midland, TX

I have been working at Avis Budget Group for more than a year

Pros

Great management and coworkers. Fast paced environment, time goes by fast. Most customers are friendly. You're able to drive brand new cars and cars most people would not be able to afford. Lots of variation, you're not stuck doing the same thing everyday. Hourly pay plus commission, you can easily make over $1000 in commission alone in a month and a lot more in larger cities. Great benefits, paid holidays (after 90... days), personal days, sick days and paid vacation after a year. Also, no micromanaging the managers will trust your judgment and allow you to handle most situations.

Cons

Some months are slow and sales go down. Corporate overbooks all the time causing waits and angry customers. Hourly pay should be more for the stress when times are busy which is pretty much year round except November and December. Corporate also never wants to hire new workers even though everyone is overworked. Also no overtime. There is also some favoritism with some of the workers that have been there longer.

Advice to Management

This message is to corporate, not the local managers because they do the best they can. Hire another manager for the nights and weekends that's when most people come in with problems because they work during the day and weekdays. Close out reservations before we run out of cars. Hire more workers to lessen the stress and also do things for the employees every now and then. If we want to have holiday parties or... birthdays everyone has to pay out of their own pockets and we don't make that much to begin with.

Avis Budget Group2016-01-19
  2. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

flexibility is a plus there.

Cons

You have to work very hard, but you won't get any commission for your hard work.

Avis Budget Group2016-01-11
  3. "Rental Sales Agent"

Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Yuma, AZ

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of training and a very positive work environment

Cons

the base pay could be better

Advice to Management

keep up the good training

Avis Budget Group2015-10-23

"May be a local issue at ORD"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good commission, no ceiling. High earning potential

Cons

Local management and processes at ORD Chicago location are draconian. They spend more time trying to catch people doing minor violations than making sure there are cars available and providing customers with a quality and positive experience.

Advice to Management

Happy employees = happy customers.

Avis Budget Group2015-09-17

"Rental Sales Agent"

Rental Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Avis Budget Group for more than a year

Pros

Easy money if you know how sales work. Lots of down-time at Airport locations but can sometimes be extremely busy. The airport manager somehow managed to hire people who weren't idiots so that was a huge plus. I managed to make $60k my first year.

Cons

The ABG philosophy of hiring managers who are worse at everything the RSA's do is basically universal. Even when outside managers are shuffled around to fast-track some regional manager's favorite into a City Manager or Sales Performance Manager position they manage to pick either bad leaders, have no idea what selling is or even means, or they manage to hire someone who are so self-serving that they forget that... without RSA's the entire rentacar industry would go belly up. Seriously. They ask for feedback on issues and then ask you what you think they could do to implement them. I sat through 2 meetings like that with a regional manager and his boss. It was a joke. They want their management to be busybodies and provide continuous feedback on sales. Now, you might be thinking this should be in the pros section but you'd be wrong because the managers are a) not qualified to give me feedback because they don't know the first thing about sales b) they follow a list of things and if you get one word wrong you don't pass the observation c) are more preoccupied with the hundreds or reports they're expected to do and could care less about the RSAs d) have a serious agenda against RSA's who make more than them. Which leads me to another tangent about their sales training. I already knew how to sell . I learned from some of the best people in the industry on how to sell things. Salesmen can be taught; it's a learned profession. Avis never taught anyone to sell anything. They hinder the sales process by creating a method that just doesn't work because it's about a decade old and isn't congruent with an internet-reservation based business model. Other than that, success is on you as the RSA. Just don't let the management get in your way because they're not on your side at all.

Advice to Management

Promote internally instead of hiring college graduate to fill manager positions. Offer better benefits to all employees. Start CSR/Non-commissioned staff at a better hourly rate and they might stick around.

Avis Budget Group2015-08-19
  6. "Rental sales agent"

Rental Sales Associate in Gardena, CA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group for more than a year

Pros

Great company ,great benefits , lots of room to move up opportunity to make very good money depending on location & shift

Cons

Depending on location it can be very Overwhelming. very rude and spoiled customer and also your are not not given the supplies need to do your job when trying to provide excellent customer service

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employee complaints & needs. It's good to make sure the employees are happy so that they can provide the type of service that reflects the way there are being treated.

Avis Budget Group2015-08-03

"Great Company Bad location"

Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Allentown, PA

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

~great benefits ~company seems nice

Cons

~terrible management ~no room to grow ~pays not that good ~unless you've worked there for 20 plus year they will not try to change your schedule

Advice to Management

Need to be more organized, take in consideration of the feelings newer employer

Avis Budget Group2015-07-03

"Rental Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you can sell and work a lot of overtime you can potentially make decent money. Union Job. Benefits. If you are good, you can climb the corporate ladder. Our district manager and senior airport manager both started with entry level jobs.

Cons

Working an entry level customer service job in the rental car industry is brutal. You have to have thick skin. Customers will constantly berate you. To the company you are just a number and you are only as good as your sales. The payout tiers are bogus. Unlike most sales jobs, your commission is penalized when you don't make a sale. There is a high turnaround with management (At least at the san jose location).... Because of this ,often times a veteran sales agent is way more knowledgeable than the managers hired to lead and guide them. I use the term manager loosely as they don't have a lot of power. They are more like supervisors. A good sales agent will take home more money than a manager. When you first start you will be stuck on the night shift and will have random days off. You will also work every single holiday. Say goodbye to any social life. I know people who have been with the company 15 years who still don't have weekends off. The "employee discount" is pretty much whatever the nicest manager wants to charge you. Often times you can find cheaper rates on priceline or costco! And lastly choose your battles wisely because the sales agent will usually lose. Management will always take the customer's side. And even internally. If you have a disagreement with a manager, the manager usually wins.

Advice to Management

If you are incompetent, please realize this and don't make your employees lives miserable. Understand that even though you are higher up on the corporate scale, you are working with other human beings who deserve to be treated with respect. Recognize your most talented sales agents and reward them accordingly.

Avis Budget Group2015-06-16

"love the job lots of fun"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

management listens and tries there best to address issues and fix it when needed. They are always there for you. And they do what it takes to make u feel welcomed. If you put the initiative in they will tech you more and there are a lot of employees that have been working at abg for 15+ years

Cons

When it's busy it's busy. You have to put on ur working hat and work. Being patient and going over everything everytime with every customer. Stand for long periods of time. Pay could be a little better but you can make it up in commission. that's it.

Avis Budget Group2015-05-15
  10. "ABG @ Albany International Airport"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Albany, NY

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time

Pros

In order to accomplish great things one most love what they do, and I sure have found ABG to be the best Sales position ever! Throughout my training and initial hands on experience in my field, I must say I am so pleased to have found a team solely dedicated to every ones’ success. I am thankful for this opportunity and I look forward to growing within the business as well as developing my own skills. Devoting... everything I’ve learned about sales Plus the ABG sales guide I’ve already noticed great results in my goals. Thank you ABG!

Cons

Come one and come all, if a sign is what youve been waiting for, this is it :-) Choose us for your next step in a ever expanding career and you will not be disapointed! Founded in 1946 we have Decades of experience demostrating our team driving sales skills.

Avis Budget Group2015-05-07