AppNeta Reviews

Updated 20 Mar 2020

3.6
AppNeta President and CEO  Matt Stevens
Matt Stevens

"Great People, Exciting Future"

5.0

I have been working at AppNeta full-time

Pros

AppNeta is a fantastic company to work for. The future for the company looks pretty bright too. Lots of exciting sales to very common names. The people I work with are above all the best part about AppNeta. Smart developers solving tough problems. So many people are truly interested in doing things well. Building software the right way using the latest technologies and processes - definitely keeping things modern. AppNeta values its employees and this is shown in many ways. A few include fun swag, frequent lunches & beer, and a progressive benefits package. It goes deeper than that to the individual. Star rating aside, I think the low employee churn speaks the truth about the rating and employee happiness at AppNeta. With the hiring that we are doing right now and the diverse opportunities opening up its a pretty good place to develop your career.

Cons

There are a lot of irons in the fire which makes priority management challenging. There is so much that we want and need to do. That said, all of these irons are in progressing a few key products. We are still adapting and learning with our development processes but they are pretty good and getting better.

AppNeta2015-11-27

"A startup where culture actually counts"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for less than a year

Pros

AppNeta is a company that has clearly changed looking at the past review. As a newer employee, I can tell you that this is a different company. The culture is one of openness, responsibility and risk taking. I've been particularly shocked at the lack of politics. This is a place that respects employees and encourages a good work/life balance, while still being very exciting and having great products. At most startups I've worked at, "culture" is code for pool tables and free lunch, rather than the actual values of the company - AppNeta's culture is real.

Cons

None yet other than the lack of bathrooms for men. I know that sounds like a bullish*t answer, but it is really true - I haven't found anything that I'd really regard as a con.

AppNeta2015-11-22

December 4, 2015CEO

Thank you for your feedback - keep 'em coming! Culture is built over time and is a product of many many people working together towards a common goal with common set of guiding principles. AppNeta has so many talented people that contribute to a living, breathing culture and it's awesome to hear that the culture felt by newer team members too. Oh, and regarding that nagging men's room challenge ... we've opened a second men's room, so hopefully that helps some too!

"Not bad..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at AppNeta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and energy. Company has an awesome product, built by some fantastic developers. CEO really cares about his team.

Cons

Sales environment is sink or swim. If you are a smooth operator, you'll grow fast and make serious money. They'll throw cash at you like they have an unlimited bank if you are their top earners, otherwise management will complain, pester, and lay you off. Turn over in past year pretty high (Quarter of sales staff switched companies or got laid off, some upper management jumped ship).

AppNeta2015-11-28

December 4, 2015CEO

Thank you for your feedback. All jobs at a startup are hard; startups are just plain hard in general. But in particular, the sales function at a high-tech startup can be one of the hardest jobs anywhere. The market is ever-changing, the product(s) are evolving at breakneck speeds, the customers and use-cases are far ranging and of course the competition pays closer attention (and mimics..) the better you perform. Some people excel naturally in this environment and others need more guidance to get there. This is why AppNeta has invested in a dedicated sales enablement team and on-going professional sales training. But in the end, start-up sales and all that goes with it, isn't for everyone.

4. "Great work environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for more than a year

Pros

The management team at AppNeta really cares about the employees and are always looking for different ways to improve employee happiness. It is a fun environment to work in especially since we are growing at such a quick rate. AppNeta generally does at least one company wide fun event quarterly, along with bi-weekly lunches and weekly happy hours. AppNeta also gives back to the community with quarterly volunteer activites along with seasonal food and clothing drives.

Cons

I can't think of any cons to working at AppNeta. The enviroment is lively and energetic which may not be for everyone.

AppNeta2015-11-19

December 4, 2015CEO

Thanks for your comments - very much appreciated. Fun and work often don't go hand in hand, but the entire team at AppNeta really does focus on this and I agree, it is a fun place to work!

5. "Great place to work"

Massachusetts in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta

Pros

I’ve worked at both tech start-ups and the biggest tech companies and AppNeta is the really the best of both worlds. Like a start-up, it’s a fun, collaborative environment with good opportunities for growth. Like some large tech companies, AppNeta’s products lead the industry, use cutting edge technologies, and take very good care of their employees with; good benefits, free lunches, snacks, drinks provided daily. They’re also able to share big client wins with employees on a regular basis. What’s not like any company I’ve worked for, there’s a real transparency, from the CEO Matt Steven as to the companies’ financial performance, new products and growth plans. They also encourage you to be innovative understanding that it’s okay to try and fail. It’s also a pretty flat organization, so, not much red tape in getting things done. For people looking for a fun, open, exciting place to work, this is it. Come prepared to make positive contributions that help make the company better.

Cons

None. AppNeta has learned from past mistakes about how to run a good company. In the past, there weren't enough processes, systems in place from what more tenured employees have said.

AppNeta2015-11-19

December 4, 2015CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback - it's invaluable to our continued successful growth. I'm so glad to hear that our efforts on delivering true transparency are being felt. There's still more we can do here, so please keep the input coming!

6. "Awesome team! Awesome perks!"

5.0

I have been working at AppNeta for more than a year

Pros

Awesome team of friendly people, the nicest I have ever worked with. The culture is very open and communicative and there are more and more events each month like pizza lunches, beer socials, optional employee-led learning seminars and tons of other stuff.

Cons

Nothing of note, the company is growing fast and that means lots of new faces all the time and shifting policy but the company appears very committed to their team and making them happy and comfortable at work.

AppNeta2015-11-18
  7. "A new AppNeta"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Like many start-up's AppNeta had some growing pains, I've read the posts from 2012-2014 and understand not everyone agreed with decisions that were made. Regardless, that is in the past and before my time. Currently AppNeta is making a name for themselves in the APM space and growing rapidly at the same time. Personal growth and leadership are the biggest reasons people should want to join this organization. I've never seen a company that will promote from within so quickly. This is something promised to most new hires but here it actually happens. Secondly is the leadership of the executive team. Through the struggles of what it has taken to get to where AppNeta is today the leaders of the organization have a clear vision of where we are headed. The CEO and CMO have collaborated and put together a plan for 2016 that will really put this company on the map. The future looks bright!

Cons

My first few weeks at AppNeta were concerning because there were a lot of changes but the dust has settled. Additionally, this isn't particularly a con but it is an inside sales organization with a lot of out-bound activity, if that is not what you are looking for then this isn't the job for you.

AppNeta2015-11-16

December 4, 2015CEO

Awesome feedback - please keep it coming! Change is definitely a part of a start-up and managing the right amount of change is always hard. We've been better at managing this lately, but it's easy to lose track, so your insight there is appreciated.

8. "Great Choice"

4.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great management team that seeks to create an environment where there is both a collective sense of responsibility and personal ownership of tasks. - High expectations for achievement are balanced with rewards (Thursday/Friday drinks, free lunches, company parties). Management team actively recognizes people in the weekly sales team meetings for doing something well or going above and beyond. -Open transparency between divisions at AppNeta. Marketing is focused on how to help grow the brand and leads, sales and customer success have open communication about product developments/feedback from customers. Very collaborative environment. -Investment in career development. There is a full sales enablement onboarding program as well as continuing training in sales strategy which I was pleasantly surprised by! Many companies do not offer such career development.

Cons

I came from a background where I did not have to be in an office every day. For me, coming to AppNeta, I understood that I was changing roles and would need to be in the office every day. This for me was a transition, not so much a con, as there is good work life balance (better than average for most companies in Boston) and the office is in a great area of the city (Seaport).

AppNeta2015-11-16

December 4, 2015CEO

Great feedback - thanks for sharing it. Collaboration - true collaboration, can be hard to maintain. Technology has helped us for sure, but certain elements still benefit greatly from personal face-to-face sharing of thoughts and ideas. We'll continue to investigate ways to advance this further even as our growth continues to explode and keep an eye out for ways to let our teams work in ways that best suits their individual needs.

9. "Business Development Representative"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined AppNeta a month ago, and I'm thrilled with how things are going so far. AppNeta has quickly proven to be an exciting environment to be in, unlike anywhere else I've worked. I've had an interesting and varied career path, which helps give perspective as to how lucky I am to be here. I've found that I'm surrounded by brilliant, energetic, and motivated people, which can't be said about most working environments. It's refreshing to have finally found a place I can see myself long-term.

Cons

I've experienced no downsides to working here.

AppNeta2015-11-12

December 4, 2015CEO

Glad you joined us and thank you for sharing your initial thoughts on the company. I personally agree with you re: the energy ... it never ceases to amaze me. Please let us know more down the road!

"Promoting an open culture of risk taking"

4.0
     in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta for less than a year

Pros

I recently joined AppNeta which is my first start-up in my career. The way AppNeta is run is refreshing. I enjoy how decisions are made collaboratively. It is a thoughtful approach where you feel that your opinion is valued and not the Corporate “because I said so” mentality. While working at a large enterprise fortune 500 organization we were encouraged to take risks, but were retaliated against when the risk failed. That organization talked the talk but did not walk the walk. What I have learned at AppNeta is the opposite, take a risk and try new things. This is clearly an organization that understands that risk doesn’t always come with rewards but as a team, we can get there. Our CEO Matt Steven’s tells every new hire you are the future leaders of this organization. After being here for a few months, I have witnessed high performing employees being recognized for their hard work and receive promotion to the next level.

Cons

AppNeta is in a fast growing growth mode and the only con is that there isn’t enough time in the day or resources to accomplish everything you want to do. Learning to prioritize what is important and being able to say I will put your request on my road map of future projects.

AppNeta2015-09-29

November 8, 2015CEO

Thank you making time to provide your feedback. Time management and the associated prioritization needed to remain productive is a challenge for us all (I know it is for me!). With so many good solutions being delivered to the market today, innovation and risk-taking is a huge part of the winning AppNets formula. Thank you for embracing this and pushing us all to the next level.

Found 83 reviews