AppDynamics Reviews

Updated 4 Jul 2020

4.5
AppDynamics General Manager Danny Winokur (no image)
Danny Winokur
Pros
  • "Coming to AppD has been the best decision of my life(in 58 reviews)

• "They push employees to excel while still maintaining an appropriate work life balance(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "We've experienced quite a bit of attrition over the past 12 months due to a perception that Cisco doesn't know "what to do with AppD"(in 36 reviews)

• "Passionate team members can lose their work/life balance easily(in 35 reviews)

1. "Innovative"

Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Bangalore
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at AppDynamics full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company environment is very cool. They care about employees and make you feel included. The guidance received while working on a project is also excellent.

Cons

Code Review did not happen.

2. "The best work place you could ever hope for."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Great culture 2. Great colleagues. 3. Awesome perks. 4. Above the market Salary.

Cons

None that I could find.

3. "Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Richardson, TX

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best leadership of all time and incredible company culture.

Cons

Can only work from home one day a week.

"Good product, VERY TOXIC culture in the UK"

2.0
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England

I worked at AppDynamics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The product is good, and it's possible to make your number. The pay is above industry average, and the expense policy is laid back. The sales methodology, MEDDIC, really works. If you embrace it, you will become a better sales person

Cons

The truth is - it's not worth joining AppDynamics, especially if you are UK based. The culture is nothing short of horrendous, borderline abusive. Management uses fear tactics on a daily basis, bullying employees to the point of burn-out. There is a high degree of favouritism, and the good accounts are selectively given to the clique. Forget about work life balance, really. No matter how resilient you think you are - nearly no one lasts for over 2 years. If you want to keep your sanity, avoid AppDynamics.

AppDynamics Response

June 25, 2020A member of the #WeAreCisco nation - HR team

As part of an acquisition, sometimes it may take a while for the cultures to combine and shine. We’re always working on this, and we are proud that our CEO has made our mission “inclusive futures” and we’re making efforts to ensure that culture is felt globally.

5. "Amazing Place To Grow"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Great culture, values, and compensation. They truly care about every individual on a personal level.

Cons

None that don't exist at every job.

"Still a good place to be, but don't believe it is a start up"

Former Employee - Rocketship Rider
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at AppDynamics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

AppD still has a great product that meets a genuine business need. With a decent account list, you will always make money. There are also excellent promotion / pay rise opportunities because there is such a high turnover of staff and management is desperate to positively spin this as a good thing meaning people are frequently promoted way above their capabilities. Good for the individual but some what self fulfilling as others then leave because they have managers with no experience, training or competency.

Cons

The biggest issue with AppD is the fact the thought leadership has all but gone. The real engine that drove AppD forward and made it successful has left. Those who have come in after just blindly try to replicate other peoples ideas but lack the authenticity and understanding. There are also major issues behind the scenes with the product development and SaaS which is very poorly managed resulting in numerous issues for customers. There has been a massive loss of developers meaning product release keep slipping back and Cisco has prioritised integration into its portfolio over any genuine innovation. The brain drain also extends to the Sales and Sales Engineering teams. Huge name customers with massive lifetime spend are now being managed by very inexperienced reps who have no idea about the product, the company or how to get anything done. All up, AppD is still a good place to be, but it is not the rocket ship or start up people claim it to be. This is because the real A Players have long gone and those who have been recruited to back fill are just not of the same calibre.

7. COVID-19

"Really proven themselves during difficult times"

4.0
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in London, England

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly, working at AppDynamics has been quite the rollercoaster. It's definitely not the same company it was in its start up phase, with many of the original senior leadership gone. That has its pros and cons. While the "old AppD" was hard going, with very poor work/life balance, and a culture to be proud of how far and hard you could push yourself, it was pretty much a baptism of fire. You were learning from the best how to be the best, if you were motivated by that then you come out the other side learning an unbelievable amount and having faster and better development into how to successfully and repeatedly run large enterprise software sales cycles. If you give it your all and persevere, management and leadership always have your back to the core. When things aren't working, they look at the data and find actual ways to improve, not empty suggestions to just "try harder". But make no mistakes, it is one of the hardest jobs you'll ever do. I've never known such a flat hierarchy structure where you're encouraged to engage with the global leadership team for your deals from early on in your career. Growth and development is paramount. That being said, I honestly can't say what it would be like for new hires now i feel the culture and training is very dependent on the individual managers continuing to drive the original culture. Finally, during Covid and the current uncertainty, AppD & Cisco have really proven themselves that they care. We're working from home, our safety is paramount. If you need to take time with your families it's encouraged. We had budget allocated to buy anything we needed to get our work from home set up . Business is still going well, but they are responding to what's happening in the world not shutting their eyes to it and pushing a business as usual agenda. The flat hierarchy leaves the communication between execs all the way through to new hires open.

Cons

There's definitely uncertainty at the moment in where the business is going with Cisco. I would say if you're still looking for the hard really intense start up culture that AppD used to have then you may have missed the boat. If you're looking for somewhere that still has unparalleled sales training, with more of a corporate culture, and want to learn how to cross sell a platform across an organisation rather than a single tool to specific userbase, then this is the right choice.

Continue reading
  8. "Great company to work for"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome Product , Good Management

Cons

Lots of things are changing at the moment and leadership does not look to be very aligned on how to take the company to the next level.

AppDynamics Response

June 23, 2020A member of the #WeAreCisco nation - HR team

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review on your experience. In the last year, there have been efforts to blend what makes AppD special with what makes Cisco special. As we adjust, learn and grow together, we encourage you to please continue sharing feedback with your leadership!

9. "Channel Manager"

Former Employee - Channel Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AppDynamics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Product, good sales engineers

Cons

Weak sales team post Cisco acquisition.

10. "Love it here!!"

Current Employee - Sales Engineering Manager

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture, people, market, solution, Cisco, flexibility, growth, variety, opportunity, fun, recognition.

Cons

None for me...great mix of hard work, travel, time off, community support, global giveback and great benefits.

Found 604 reviews