Analytic Partners Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Sep 3, 2019

Found 5 of over 126 reviews

4.1
Analytic Partners President Nancy Smith
Nancy Smith
Pros
  • "Some really great clients and great people(in 7 reviews)

• "Work environment and day to day challenges(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work-life balance hardly exists(in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours: Poor planning and management's inability to stand up to unreasonable client requests lead to 60(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0

Sr Analyst

Sep 3, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work environment and day to day challenges

Cons

Low salary and no maternity pay

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great Starting Job!

Apr 1, 2019 - Intern in Broomfield, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Personal Growth Opportunities - You're really encouraged and welcomed to take on as much responsibility as you're capable of, which creates fantastic opportunities for growth. From my first day I was placed directly onto a client team and treated like a regular full-time employee. I was given work that directly contributed to our client project, which provided great hands-on experience and challenged me to learn much more than I would have if I had been assigned a separate "intern project". It is a very meritocratic environment, where managers are eager to reward you with more responsibility when you are ready. Company Growth Potential - As a fairly young company, AP is a fast-growing company in terms of new clients, technologies, and types of work. As such, there are plenty of opportunities for you to get involved in shaping future processes. Everyone is pretty open-minded and receptive to new ideas. The Clients - AP works with a really cool, diverse set of clients which makes the work interesting. They have long-standing relationships with some really big clients, which goes to show how much they value AP's work. The People/Culture - AP's biggest asset really are its people. There's a very laid-back atmosphere and people are always willing to drop what they're doing to help someone else out. There's a very flat structure, making it as easy & natural to work with a consultant or director as an associate analyst. The more senior people in the office are eager to share their knowledge with the newer member of their teams, largely making up for the high turnover rates within the consulting industry. Overall, a very collaborative and friendly work environment.

Cons

Compensation - The pay is lower than that of many other consulting firms but, to be fair, so are the hours. While 50-hour weeks are not uncommon, I rarely saw any analyst-level position working substantially more than that, and if they did it was by their own initiative. As an intern I worked 40-hour weeks and never felt any external pressure to give more. If you convert the yearly analyst salary to an hourly wage, you'll find that it's actually very fair ($60,000 / 52 weeks / 50 hrs ≈ $85,000 / 52 weeks / 70 hrs ≈ $23 / hr). But if you don't mind working longer hours then you might find a better annual salary elsewhere. Technology - In the past 2 years there have been huge developments in improving the company's in-house marketing mix platform, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. The effort is there, and I think the company could benefit from expanding its IT team to increase the speed & efficiency in which new developments are actually rolled out.

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Former Employee

AP Review

Aug 12, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Diverse Skillset Development: one of AP’s greatest benefits is that very early in your career, you will be able to develop a well-rounded skillset. Projects are set up such that you will hone your technical skills (e.g Excel, GPSE (AP’s proprietary modeling platform)), presentation skills (e.g. creating PowerPoints, presenting to the client), communication skills (e.g. client contact via emails/handling calls), and more. This is where AP has a leg up over other companies that have a very siloed professional development track (e.g. only Mangers present to the client, only Analysts model, etc.). Strong Growth Opportunities: Not to sound cliche, but with hard work and constant strive to get better, you can accelerate rapidly within the company. Merit-based promotions are common; hard work, successes and accomplishments are celebrated and rewarded via promotions, salary increases and bonuses. This is certainly one of - if not the - strongest attribute of AP. Strong Managers/Senior Management: The majority of managers and senior management truly do care about your professional development and want to ensure that you’re getting the most out of your experience with the company. My previous manager was an amazing manager and really guided me to success across the duration of my career at the company. This is common with many other managers as well; for the most part, they strive to lead by example and guide you to greatness. Pleasant Environment: I don’t think this is necessarily unique to AP as I’m sure there are many other companies who also produce pleasant work environments, but one of the benefits at AP is that people are, for the most part, pleasant to engage with and are willing to help out in any way they can. There isn’t a culture of ‘let me step on your neck to climb to the top of the ladder.’ Merit-Based Organization: Office politics at AP are minimal to non-existent which helps make the career journey at the company enjoyable and stress free. Kissing up to management doesn’t work and certainly doesn’t guarantee you promotions or benefits as it may do at many other companies. The only way to career progression is through working hard, continuously progressing and showing potential over time. This is something that AP should always strive to keep and never lose sight of as the company continues to grow. Casual Work Environment: This may seem like a trivial thing to mention, but the office culture is very lax and chill. You can wear jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, etc. You only dress up business casual when a client is expected to be in the office. Other cool tidbits are listening to music (I’m sure other companies allow this too - but there are some companies that have a strict rule on this), snacks in the kitchen, open office space, etc. Desire for Feedback: AP seems to be receptive to feedback and often engages it employees to provide feedback on how the organization can improve. Not only do they solicit feedback, for the most part they act on it as well.

Cons

Dull/Monotonous/Uninspired Work: To piggy back off the review, "Burn and Churn: An Analytic Partners Anthology”, the work at AP can be boring - particularly the Marketing Mix projects. AP offers other projects such as pricing and attribution. However, with the Marketing Mix projects, it’s easy to get swallowed into a ‘rinse-wash-repeat’ cycle of updating the same project over and over and over again. There are so many times you can keep telling the client to invest in X, or do Y, or change Z. Towards the tail end of my career, I honestly felt uninspired and bored with my projects. Lack of Technical Skill Advancement: I find it troubling that it’s a possibility to work at this company (which is in the field of Marketing/Data Analytics) for multiple years, leave, and only have Excel and PowerPoint skills to show for your experience. As many earlier reviews pointed out, the company as a whole, leverages in-house proprietary modeling software (GPSE). These skills aren’t transferable as the software is exclusive to AP. It’s possible and common to never touch renown technical programs like R, SQL, SAS, Python, etc. And the frustrating thing to add to this is the inconsistency across the organization in regards to the usage of these type of programs. Some people are fortunate enough to be placed on projects (e.g. pricing, MTA) that do require SQL, R, and Python. So you have a segment of the company that is well-versed in these platforms and another segment of the company that doesn’t have any exposure to these platforms. This is certainly AP’s weak point and could potentially hurt the company in the long run if they don’t build a workforce that is well-versed in these essential data analytic software tools. Try Too Hard: The company tries too hard to compensate for the areas in which it lacks. AP will put together countless happy hours and social events in what seems like a distraction from the mundane everyday work and inconsistent employee development in the organization. In addition, there is a light ‘stigma’ for those who choose not to regularly attend these events. Allow individuals to attend - or not attend - these events without questioning them and covertly pressuring them to attend these events. Socializing at work or attending happy hours isn’t built for everyone. Leave it to the people who naturally enjoy it. Compensation and Benefits: This is an area where the company has definitely improved over time, but I do believe still has ample wiggle room to grow - especially with the goal of doubling revenue in the coming years. It would be great to see some of the revenue growth trickle down to the employees, both from base pay and merit-based bonus perspectives. Resources: For the amount of client meetings that take place, the hardware and software are severely lacking. Failing Polycom systems, lack of reliable calling tools, inconsistent client software (e.g. some people use Skype while others use Webex which isn’t as intuitive as Skype) make setting up client meetings an unenjoyable experience. The common thread among these ‘cons’ is that the company is so focused on growing and doubling revenue that it’s losing sight of creating an enriching employee experience. The company would rather you work on a monotonous project and continue to lack critical technical skills in the world of analytics, as long as you can model on their proprietary platform and are one step closer to brining the company to doubling revenue. I think it’s important that AP takes a step back and grow organically and not force growth, because you will eventually lose employee morale and retention with the elements you have to sacrifice in order to achieve such an arbitrary goal.

7 people found this review helpful

Analytic Partners Response

Thank you for providing your perspective. And also thank you for being thoughtful and balanced. You are right, we are committed to providing the best learning environment, where people feel valued and empowered to succeed. We are also committed to creating a comfortable, transparent and collaborative environment for all. Your feedback in the areas in which we could improve will help to make AP a better place to work. Thanks for your advice.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee

Great work environment, so-so work

Jan 5, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment, people are friendly and helpful. Great place for one to start off in Management Consulting and to get a foot in the door within Data Analytics. Training is quite good for new hires, especially for those who do not have a background in Statistics.

Cons

I can think of several several cons and I will try to list them out below - 1. Recurring projects - you do the same thing over and over and over again if you are put into projects that belong to one of the big accounts that AP has 2. Absolutely no learning after one iteration of a marketing mix project. The modeling is done on a proprietary software, and these skills are non-transferable. 3. Your manager plays the most vital role in determining how good or bad your experience and contribution to projects are. My personal experience has not been great so far. 4. Promotions seem to be done on a timed basis, and not based on merit. 5. The workforce is generally on the thinner side, so you often find yourself buried under a pile of work, and working 60-70 hours a week for two to three weeks in a row. More importantly, this does not give a person at the Analyst, Senior Analyst or Consultant level the ability to move across projects (to gain exposure or to learn different techniques), or the ability to lend a hand to some of the more interesting projects that AP has taken up in the recent past. 6. Compensation and benefits are lower than what competitors usually offer (I have done my homework and have reached out to ex-AP people before I chose to make this statement)

9 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good experiences with many nice colleagues

Feb 22, 2012 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

- interesting projects - the people are friendly and the work environment is above average - good knowledge base but require some organization - company growing so feels like stable job security - client focus attitude - good reputation and brand

Cons

- some on technology/development team work in small spaces - needs better IT support, but have improved with new IT hires - subordinates do not have channels to provide anonymous feedback about their managers - needs better internal knowledge sharing

1 person found this review helpful