American Airlines "passengers" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

American Airlines Employee Reviews about "passengers"

Updated Sep 26, 2019

3.7
American Airlines CEO Doug Parker
Doug Parker
1,089 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "Fairly long hours, but worth the effort(in 79 reviews)

• "Company oversells flights, passengers get mad and scream at us(in 53 reviews)

Reviews about "passengers"

Return to all Reviews

"Airport Gate Agent"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Union pay, free flight benefits, full benefits package including medical, dental, vision, AD&D, life, spouse life, Hyatt Legal, pet care and more! UNION PAY is the biggest draw and of course free flights!

Cons

Overworked and stressed at gates. Company oversells flights, passengers get mad and scream at us.

Advice to Management

BBQ's and ice cream socials may be nice but at the airport please do something about yield management!! You are overselling flights, overworking the agents to the point of exhaustion and making the passengers angry WHO THINK THEY HAVE A SEAT ON A FLIGHT!! Thank you!

American Airlines2019-09-26

"Flying High With Your Feet Firmly Grounded"

Former Employee - Gate Agent, Ticketing, Sales in Elmont, NY

I worked at American Airlines part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fast paced. structured, and problem solving environment. Flexible yet set schedules. Free and discounted travel. Interface w people from all over the world. Always exciting. Promotes teamwork (which includes other departments)and individual progress. Professional and personal communication skills are honed.Never a boring day. Every situation well handled is a bully for a sense of accomplishment. Good benefits .

Cons

Seniority based schedules, can be very chaotic, hours can be extended, subjected to quick changing environment due to weather, staffing or other issues Relating to impatient passengers though situations may be out of your hands can be trying,but necessary and doable. Extra diligence with security is strict and unfortunate but also necessary. The reality that lives are in your hands can be scary, but nothing... compared to the pleasure of knowing they have taken off and landed safely. You must accept the possibility of delays,injury, and emergency situations.

Advice to Management

Work with and trust the sensibilities of the agents. They are the first line of defense and information when it comes to changing trends and opinions of your passengers. Be willing and ready to increase job responsibilities of those who have expressed a desire to grow and show consistently that they are ready for more. Offer advice on improving performance including physically stepping in to clarify your points.... You are management, so clearly you have experience that can improve the effectiveness of your team. Offer assistance and guidance to all before a review. If an employee has no idea how they are doing before a review, something needs adjusting with the communication. Leaders know how to draw out a person's strength and make better their weaknesses. When this is done the team views management as a boon to doing the job. Pardon my pun on the original meaning of the word, but a bully for them. That positive feeling spreads even to the consumer, the passengers .

American Airlines2019-07-20

"good job but horribly managed"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Airlines part-time for less than a year

Pros

flight benefits if seats are available.

Cons

poorly managed. they don;'t really care about their passengers, it's all about money and charging them for every little thing they can.

Advice to Management

listen to employee suggestions to make things better. I went to Elevate training in DFW and was told just to to wait it will be better. it never did.

American Airlines2019-08-06
  4. "Good benefits"

I worked at American Airlines part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Travel benefits, health benefits, sometimes flexible schedule

Cons

Shift work, unruly passengers, long standing

American Airlines2018-10-19
  5. "Most positions are seniority based. You’re schedule and vacation will be determined by it."

Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Miami, FL

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel privileges. Free, unlimited travel benefits for you and a guest, or you and your spouse/offspring.

Cons

Night shift. Negative co-workers. Irate passengers.

Advice to Management

50/50. Some are awful people.

American Airlines2018-09-15

"Agent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Airlines part-time

Pros

Free flight for you and spouse or domestic partner or registered companion. Partner must stay on for a year unless a spouse indefinate. Board by check in not senority. This is the only pro. I like Doug Parker, he does what he can when he can, yeah he has some "duis" but just shows he is a real person like us, and he likes to have a good time, he never hurt anybody.

Cons

Schedule changes every 4 months. Will have to work a 3am shift every now and then. unless you have been with the company a while and have enough senority to pick a good schedule then you will get horrible schedules and probably wont have time for a trip or to travel because they will make your last work day a night shift so you cant fly after work and your first shift a morning shift and they will overlap... schedules so you cant trade. Sometimes the company needs superivsors or managers, and they have interviews inhouse, It's nice that the company promotes within but the downfall is they always pick someone and alot of the time they pick to pick because they need someone immediately to fill the vacancy not because they are the best but because they need someone to work the hours. That's why there are soo many terrible unprofessional managers and supervisors at AA. Paychecks will always be small when you start and for 6 years after. The whole airline senority thing is outdated, the people who have been there the longest are also the most tired, the most fed-up, the rudest, the snobbiest, the most payed and they don't even lift their own bags onto the carousel, the ones that have the highest senority are holding the company back from being the best airline I say force them to retire if they cant lift even one bag and let the millenials create the new fresh face airline. Your senoir coworkers will be the rudest to passengers. Sucks lifting bags up to 99 pounds. Back hurts and feet hurt. No breaks or lunches anymore for part time employees if your shift is 5 hours, which most of them are and its tiring smiling at passenger after passenger and getting yelled at and lifting bags to not get a break. No direct supervison so many people you work with will disappear. Visas and Passport stuff changes overnight and if you get something wrong the company gets $20,000 fine and you get written up, people that work for Target get paid more than American Airline employes and they have less responsiblity. if you are a new girl the other girls will give you a hard time, especially the agents that have been there since 1987 who started working after they went to high school they are the worst and never matured or did anything else in their life so they have no true experience they literally just bully you. One lady complained on my skirt to a manager and I had to get it measured and I was told to lift and show the original seams of the skirt. Once my manaher said "yeah looks like its the original skirt and you didnt make any alterations, I guess it looks tooo good on you. the other girls were saying they could see your panties." lets say company has no tact and this is just one of the many stupid things you have to go through. Company doesnt do anything to people who harass other coworkers on social media.

Advice to Management

many of yall are like bad waitresses. You get to a big table and everyone has a special order and you dont write anything down and you try to remember it all, and you dont remember any of it. You always come back with all the orders screwed up, or we are consistenly remind you what you had forgot. This is a big coroporation, you have alot of people to manage. get it together.

American Airlines2018-04-26
  7. "res agent"

Res Agent in Miami, FL

I worked at American Airlines for more than a year

Pros

The travel benefits are good and it's a flexible job

Cons

awful company to work for. They are not unionized and they make up rules that would never (fly) at a unionized carrier. They (in my opinion) cheat their passengers with so many extra charges or fees...and it's $200.00 to change your reservation.. ..no matter what.They want their res agents to be aggressive sales agents...(go for the kill). Their attendance policy is shady and since they are not unionized, they... can do whatever they want. For me...I never call in sick or late, but they have a (leave early) system if you ask and they dont think its too busy they will let you leave early...its called TL (Time leave). I requested TL 4 days in a row..they approved it....then, a week later they rescinded the approval because (apparently) I didn't sign up correctly so they gave me FOUR POINTS (the same as calling in sick 4 xs)...even though I never missed any work. One time a soldier coming home from WAR on a WAR SHIP, called to change his reservation because the (WAR) ship was late getting back. It was 1200.00 more.....I had to BEG a supervisor to not charge him anything...but nope...she did bring it down to $400.00 (FOUR HUNDRED)....(Southwest airlines would never charge one of our soldiers like that...EVER!).American Airlines.. is the worst company I have ever worked for..

American Airlines2018-02-11

"If you have "wings" use them here!"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant/International/Purser in New York, NY

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Diversity, work days flexibility, travel to new places, exposure to other cultures, great co-workers, fabulous shopping overseas, travel benefits for self and family

Cons

Reserve, flight delays, long hours on your feet, unruly passengers, outdated management protocols

Advice to Management

Treat your frontline people with respect and you will get it back tenfold

American Airlines2017-11-02
  9. "Ups and downs"

I have been working at American Airlines part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great vacation allotment! Flying benefits Flexible schedule – nice to be able to swap shifts with coworkers! Benefits for part-timers

Cons

Work weekends, nights, holidays. Irate passengers; can be very belligerent and the company doesn't protect you, nor stand by you. Wavering policies. Hard to get full time.

Advice to Management

Happy employees make a good company. Adopt Southwest's Philosophy; they value their customers but they also realize the customer is not always right. If they are bullying and using foul language with employees – customer should be told they are not to treat people like that. But can get a refund and fly another airline. Customers should be treated with upmost respect and made to feel that we are appreciated... and glad to have them fly with us – but we should not condone bad behavior! We should not reward bad behavior!! In my 30 year airline career I have seen customers treating employees horribly and it just keeps getting worse and worse! I have had several customers tell me that they know if they "throw a fit they will get what they want" we are creating this behavior!

American Airlines2017-08-28

"FA"

Current Employee - American Airlines Flight Attendant in Miami, FL

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Travel the world LITERALLY -Most other FAs are some of the nicest and coolest people you'll meet -Good pay with very flexible schedules

Cons

-Away from family -Sometimes dealing with passengers and delays is stressful -Financially hard when going through training and first starting the job

American Airlines2017-07-14