Amazing.com Employee Reviews about "let go"

Updated 16 May 2018

4.0
Amazing.com CEO and Co-Founders Matt Clark & Jason Katzenback (no image)
Matt Clark & Jason Katzenback
Pros
  • "We are allowed to work from home each Friday unless we have a previously scheduled meeting(in 6 reviews)

• "Matt and Jason will pass a task down to you and you need to do it quick(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "The communication between management and staff could be better - last-minute changes can sometimes be a challenge to accommodate(in 4 reviews)

• "The owner let go everyone so coldly, without even as much as personal call or personal email(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "let go"

Return to all Reviews

"Useless CEO, Useless Company , Constant Negative Change"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Amazing.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly cannot think of one

Cons

The CEO has no idea what he is doing. There is no direction of the company. There is no direction of product. Employees are given an ultimatum "Create a product that makes us money or we are closing down". Two founders have no idea how to run a company with people in it . They went from 60 people in one day to 25. People were let go over email. They ensure that they are listening and acting accordingly to people concerns, which is absolute BS. Even if you are hired as a specialist in your area do not worry, you will be told that you are wrong since the two founders know everything from product management, through marketing to software development. People are "promoted" to position they should never be. Company structure changes every few weeks (This depends on what is hottest new company structure). Constant promises of bonuses, raises etc never actually happened.

May 26, 2018HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback in this review. Our goal has been and still is to create a great, fulfilling place to work and grow for every person that joins our team. I apologize that we did not live up to this with you. We promoted people to positions they didn’t have experience in. I have made many bad decisions myself that affected the entire company. Back in early 2016, we did have to do the horrible act of letting go of a significant part of our team (though not as many as your numbers indicate). Before then, we rapidly grew from 8 people to 60+ people in about 12 months. It’s been a crazy, bumpy, and, at times, chaotic, ride. And we’ve learned a lot. We are better now than we’ve ever been. We are more structured with employee compensation. We have a very clear strategic plan shared with the entire company so everyone knows what we’re doing and how they fit into the overall goals. We practice open book management and transparently share our financial performance with the company so everyone can make great decisions and contribute to the company’s success. We are also also positively impacting tens of thousands of lives across the world with our products. If you’d like to see that impact, feel free to check out our YouTube channel or Facebook page to see the many raw, unrehearsed interviews we’ve done with our customers. I apologize we did not live up to our standards for creating a fulfilling place to work for you while you were with us. You deserve better. Thank you for your feedback. I wish you the best in your current and future career :) Matt Clark, Executive Chairman, Former CEO, & Co-founder

"Leadership Has Zero Clue. Stay Away"

I worked at Amazing.com full-time

Pros

I did work on some interesting projects I liked. However they were always "canceled" before completion.

Cons

First off, look at the dates of many of the positive reviews. 5 on May 27th 2017... doesn't that strike you as odd? For sure fake or at least begged for, from higher ups at the company. Then 4 positives all on July 16th, with July 21st and 29th all positive as well. Very very odd and unnatural. So let that sink in for a few minutes and then ask yourself if this really is the type of company you want to work for, and trust, with your career. I worked for Amazing and all I can say is the entire time I was there, I had no clue what I should have been working on. Everyday it was something different without the prior project never getting completed. Every day I had no direction or leadership. Just new marching orders that never included resources or understanding behind it. Vague emails and no introductions to other team members left me feeling like I got thrown in the middle of the ocean. While I am very proactive and a self starter, I was handicapped coming into the company only knowing maybe 4 people's email addresses and phone numbers. Emails and calls would go unanswered for weeks even with multiple follow-ups. Then out of the air I would get pretty rude emails about why something wasn't done and then I would show them my prior emails and documentation and how they never got back to me, but somehow it was still my fault. It actually become a running joke between me and my spouse. Then one of the owners fired just about everyone. When I mean just about, what I mean is the people left over were their personal assistants, the chef for the company, etc. You know, the big decisions makers that helped the company make a lot of profit years prior. After letting go of everyone via a templated email, the company changed direction and soon after was having a contest to give away a BMW to customers of it's product, which at the time was a rip of uDemy and similar type training platforms. The owner let go everyone so coldly, without even as much as personal call or personal email. People that had families to feed, student debt to pay for, car payments and medical needs, extended family members that relied on them... but they just let them all go without even a personal touch. I didn't get any form of severance myself. Just dropped without notice and no more pay. Luckily I was able to beg a former employer to pick me back up so I could make my rent the next month. Any one reading this, I beg you to stay away from this company. A leopard doesn't change it's spots just because they "changed direction" and got in some new staff. The owners like to tout online how successful they are and have these years of business behind them to sell their training product. But actions speak louder than words.

May 26, 2018HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I apologize we did not live up to our standards of creating a great, fulfilling place to work for you. Even though you just posted your review in 2018, based on the content of your review, it looks like you have not been with us since 2016. Regardless of when you were with us, you feeling like you weren’t connected to the rest of the company and couldn’t get ahold of your team is unacceptable. Also, anyone being rude or disrespectful to you, whether it’s a manager or fellow employee, is also something we do not tolerate. We are here to offer a rewarding, fun, and fulfilling place to work for everyone on our team. We’ve grown very rapidly since starting six years ago. This has been our very first venture that has achieved this great scale and impact in the world. We absolutely should have done a much better job managing the growth. As I’m sure you know, Jason, the other co-founder, had to step out of the business for a few years because his daughter was battling cancer. So, I take full responsibility for making the poor, naive decisions that led us to the position of having to let go of a significant part of our team in 2016. That was the hardest decision I have ever had to make in business. I will live with that for the rest of my life. I had to do that for the company to continue existing. We came within one week of running out of money. Had I not done that, Amazing would not exist today. I should have been more empathetic and talked with every single person I had to let go one-on-one. We know our amazing employees have families to feed and financial lives to run. This is why every single employee has always received some sort of severance. I’m not sure why you’re saying you didn’t receive anything, but that has never been the case for anyone we’ve had to let go - even if they only worked for us for a very short period of time. We left in-place the team members we thought we needed to keep the company running. The chef you mentioned became our Customer Success Manager and she is doing a fantastic job. The personal assistant you mention became our Affiliate Manager and has been a huge asset in a very demanding role. We’ve helped tens of thousands of people change their lives with our products. If you’d like to see the impact, please feel free to check out the many unrehearsed, raw, live interviews with our members on our YouTube channel or Facebook page. As for Glassdoor reviews, we have never coerced people, begged for, or done anything even remotely against Glassdoor’s terms of service to get reviews. I am deeply sorry you did not have a great experience with us as an employee. I appreciate the time you did spend with us and I do not take that lightly. We have worked hard to make sure every single employee is thriving and loving being with us. So thank you for your feedback. It makes us better. - Matt Clark, Executive Chairman, Former CEO, & Co-founder

"A fast work environment that is rewarding for the right kind of person."

5.0
    Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in Austin, TX

I worked at Amazing.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's hard to describe the work environment of Amazing.com. It's very top-heavy and driven almost entirely by the two founders. They are very fast movers and new products are created / sold / iterated upon very quickly. But that's what makes it so exciting and fun. You don't have a million middle managers slowing down every process and bugging you for pointless stuff all day. Matt and Jason will pass a task down to you and you need to do it quick! That fast paced environment combined with the many perks Amazing.com offers made it feel like a mini Wolf of Wall Street type situation. People running around all the time building stuff, putting out fires, negotiating new products & deals, etc. If your typical day is "get up, stroll into work when I feel like it, and browse Facebook for a few hours" then this isn't the company for you. If you want to feel challenged every day, this is the place to be. I've worked for a lot of companies in Austin and I have yet to work for leadership that I respect anywhere near how much I respect Matt and Jason. If enjoy working hard under some very guided leadership, then Amazing.com is a great place to work. Though I have parted ways with the Amazing.com crew, I think it is telling that I would absolutely work with them if the right opportunity ever came up.

Cons

The work/life balance here can be rough at times as they expect a lot out of their employees. I ended up getting very sick towards the end of my time there because I didn't have much time to take care of myself or go to doctors. When I finally did take some time to go to appointments for what doctors thought was cancer, I was laid off the next Monday after Christmas with no warning by the new COO Amazing.com had hired. You may be wondering, "how could you possibly write a good review for this company after that?" I was let go with a good severance package, they continued my insurance for several months so that I could heal properly, they filled out the proper paperwork so I could have unemployment while I was healing, and that COO was fired just a short while later. I worked with Matt shortly after as an affiliate (though mysteriously cut short by the same new executives who fired me) where they paid me in full for the affiliate work I had done. We continue to be friends despite everything that happened. Amazing.com had some explosive growth and they hired the wrong people to help them guide it. They realized it was a mistake, took corrective action, and have moved past it. Matt and Jason are good people and growing your company 20 fold in the course of a year will expose the cracks in any foundation. Every company makes mistakes. It's how they address them and move forward that matters.

January 29, 2018HR Manager

Thank you for your review. We have had a whole bunch of changes and I think you captured some of those changes pretty accurately in your review. We agree that growth will show the cracks and we really did buckle down to make sure that we don't repeat the past. We appreciate the feedback and hope you are doing will in your current role! And Lemons is in the corner and super productive! :)

"New company with intent to sell"

I worked at Amazing.com

Pros

Owners have descent personalities. If you work financial it's a decent 2 weeks pay before you are terminated.

Cons

The company only cares about selling. No longer it's employees, building the business, or making customers happy. Change in management makes this a terrible place to work with people being let go almost weekly in the form of "re-structuring". Also known for having people go in to leave excellent reviews just for the later surprise you get a week into your work.

January 20, 2015HR Manager

Thank you for the feedback. I apologize for the late reply. Our HR manager replied to your review three years ago after you wrote it, but I thought you deserve a response directly from me. Thank you for your kind words about my descent personality :) Hopefully, it’s slightly better than that today. We do not only care about selling (the company, I assume based on the content of your review). We don’t have any plans to sell the company at all, in fact. We care deeply about positively impacting our customers, employees, and the communities we serve. That’s what we care most about. I’m sorry your experience with us was not amazing. We have learned a lot and made many changes over the years to become the company we want to be. Today our company is stronger, financially and culturally, than ever before. We are healthy, growing fast, and changing lives all over the world with the products our team creates and the service we provide. Thank you for the time you spent with us and thank you for your feedback. Matt Clark, Executive Chairman, Former CEO, & Co-founder

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 4 reviews