Amazing.com "let go" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Amazing.com Employee Reviews about "let go"

Updated 16 May 2018

3.9
Amazing.com CEO and Co-Founders Matt Clark & Jason Katzenback (no image)
Matt Clark & Jason Katzenback
Pros
  • "We are allowed to work from home each Friday unless we have a previously scheduled meeting(in 6 reviews)

• "It's easy to want to be part of a company that truly is passionate about helping others improve and change their lives(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "The communication between management and staff could be better - last-minute changes can sometimes be a challenge to accommodate(in 4 reviews)

• "The owner let go everyone so coldly, without even as much as personal call or personal email(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "let go"

Return to all Reviews

"Useless CEO, Useless Company , Constant Negative Change"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Amazing.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly cannot think of one

Cons

The CEO has no idea what he is doing. There is no direction of the company. There is no direction of product. Employees are given an ultimatum "Create a product that makes us money or we are closing down". Two founders have no idea how to run a company with people in it . They went from 60 people in one day to 25. People were let go over email. They ensure that they are listening and acting accordingly to people concerns, which is absolute BS. Even if you are hired as a specialist in your area do not worry, you will be told that you are wrong since the two founders know everything from product management, through marketing to software development. People are "promoted" to position they should never be. Company structure changes every few weeks (This depends on what is hottest new company structure). Constant promises of bonuses, raises etc never actually happened.

Advice to Management

Don't start a company if you have no idea how to run it.

Amazing.com2017-11-01

"Leadership Has Zero Clue. Stay Away"

I worked at Amazing.com full-time

Pros

I did work on some interesting projects I liked. However they were always "canceled" before completion.

Cons

First off, look at the dates of many of the positive reviews. 5 on May 27th 2017... doesn't that strike you as odd? For sure fake or at least begged for, from higher ups at the company. Then 4 positives all on July 16th, with July 21st and 29th all positive as well. Very very odd and unnatural. So let that sink in for a few minutes and then ask yourself if this really is the type of company you want to work for, and trust, with your career. I worked for Amazing and all I can say is the entire time I was there, I had no clue what I should have been working on. Everyday it was something different without the prior project never getting completed. Every day I had no direction or leadership. Just new marching orders that never included resources or understanding behind it. Vague emails and no introductions to other team members left me feeling like I got thrown in the middle of the ocean. While I am very proactive and a self starter, I was handicapped coming into the company only knowing maybe 4 people's email addresses and phone numbers. Emails and calls would go unanswered for weeks even with multiple follow-ups. Then out of the air I would get pretty rude emails about why something wasn't done and then I would show them my prior emails and documentation and how they never got back to me, but somehow it was still my fault. It actually become a running joke between me and my spouse. Then one of the owners fired just about everyone. When I mean just about, what I mean is the people left over were their personal assistants, the chef for the company, etc. You know, the big decisions makers that helped the company make a lot of profit years prior. After letting go of everyone via a templated email, the company changed direction and soon after was having a contest to give away a BMW to customers of it's product, which at the time was a rip of uDemy and similar type training platforms. The owner let go everyone so coldly, without even as much as personal call or personal email. People that had families to feed, student debt to pay for, car payments and medical needs, extended family members that relied on them... but they just let them all go without even a personal touch. I didn't get any form of severance myself. Just dropped without notice and no more pay. Luckily I was able to beg a former employer to pick me back up so I could make my rent the next month. Any one reading this, I beg you to stay away from this company. A leopard doesn't change it's spots just because they "changed direction" and got in some new staff. The owners like to tout online how successful they are and have these years of business behind them to sell their training product. But actions speak louder than words.

Advice to Management

Throw out the owners/founders.

Amazing.com2018-05-16

"A fast work environment that is rewarding for the right kind of person."

Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in Austin, TX

I worked at Amazing.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's hard to describe the work environment of Amazing.com. It's very top-heavy and driven almost entirely by the two founders. They are very fast movers and new products are created / sold / iterated upon very quickly. But that's what makes it so exciting and fun. You don't have a million middle managers slowing down every process and bugging you for pointless stuff all day. Matt and Jason will pass a task down to you and you need to do it quick! That fast paced environment combined with the many perks Amazing.com offers made it feel like a mini Wolf of Wall Street type situation. People running around all the time building stuff, putting out fires, negotiating new products & deals, etc. If your typical day is "get up, stroll into work when I feel like it, and browse Facebook for a few hours" then this isn't the company for you. If you want to feel challenged every day, this is the place to be. I've worked for a lot of companies in Austin and I have yet to work for leadership that I respect anywhere near how much I respect Matt and Jason. If enjoy working hard under some very guided leadership, then Amazing.com is a great place to work. Though I have parted ways with the Amazing.com crew, I think it is telling that I would absolutely work with them if the right opportunity ever came up.

Cons

The work/life balance here can be rough at times as they expect a lot out of their employees. I ended up getting very sick towards the end of my time there because I didn't have much time to take care of myself or go to doctors. When I finally did take some time to go to appointments for what doctors thought was cancer, I was laid off the next Monday after Christmas with no warning by the new COO Amazing.com had hired. You may be wondering, "how could you possibly write a good review for this company after that?" I was let go with a good severance package, they continued my insurance for several months so that I could heal properly, they filled out the proper paperwork so I could have unemployment while I was healing, and that COO was fired just a short while later. I worked with Matt shortly after as an affiliate (though mysteriously cut short by the same new executives who fired me) where they paid me in full for the affiliate work I had done. We continue to be friends despite everything that happened. Amazing.com had some explosive growth and they hired the wrong people to help them guide it. They realized it was a mistake, took corrective action, and have moved past it. Matt and Jason are good people and growing your company 20 fold in the course of a year will expose the cracks in any foundation. Every company makes mistakes. It's how they address them and move forward that matters.

Advice to Management

Don't get tunnel vision and don't let professional BSers worm their way into your company. Believe in yourselves above all else because you're both incredibly talented people! Also, put Lemons in a corner so he can't ruin everyone else's productivity.

Amazing.com2017-10-12

"New company with intent to sell"

I worked at Amazing.com

Pros

Owners have descent personalities. If you work financial it's a decent 2 weeks pay before you are terminated.

Cons

The company only cares about selling. No longer it's employees, building the business, or making customers happy. Change in management makes this a terrible place to work with people being let go almost weekly in the form of "re-structuring". Also known for having people go in to leave excellent reviews just for the later surprise you get a week into your work.

Advice to Management

90% of the issue is the management. They are trying to bring a structure, not fully knowing how the company works.

Amazing.com2015-01-09