Aequilibrium Reviews

Updated 30 Jul 2020

3.7
Aequilibrium Founder & CEO Adrian Moise (no image)
Adrian Moise
  1. COVID-19

"Amazing first time job here in Canada"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Aequilibrium full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaborative team Chance to work with some of the best technical minds in the business Join a team with a high percentage of first time Canadians, everyone is super friendly Free lunches!

Cons

Office space is a little dreary - could use some character!

Continue reading

"Not sure how they are surviving"

Former Employee - Unappreciated Hard-worker in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Aequilibrium full-time

Pros

A few really good people but their talent is wasted

Cons

- Nobody knows what to do and they count on pennies and trying to exploit people but ending up losing them. - Really Heavy Iteration. The whole staff gets replaced almost every year.

July 15, 2020

Thank you for taking time to give us some feedback. I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience at Aequilibrium, and that you believe we fell short in providing clear direction and information. We strive for openness, clarity, and transparency, and while we can always improve and are working on it, we do have in place regular 1on1s, twice-weekly company updates, and quarterly town hall meetings. You also mention your concern over staff attrition. While we are within the average range for our industry and thankfully much lower than your estimate, this is still not good enough for us. In addition to the grass roots Values creation and leadership development that occurred last year, we will also soon be launching initiatives covering the entire employee life cycle and that will heavily focus on skill, ability, knowledge, and career growth and development. One area where we would have to disagree is your assessment that we have “few really good people”. In fact, the quality of our team members is constantly highlighted by our clients and we are growing based on their requests to expand the scope and staffing of current projects, as well as securing new clients with varying types of technology. The end result is that our remarkable employees, delivering remarkable results, have led to our customers giving us NPS scores of well above 70 for the past couple of years. Finally, we would like to add that during this COVID-19 crisis, we have worked hard to keep the Aequilibrium community whole and have not engaged in any layoffs. Moreover, we were recently highlighted by the Daily Hive as one of the few companies in Vancouver actively hiring at this moment. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback and thus giving us an opportunity to learn and grow from it.

3. "I love my role at AEQ"

4.0
    Current Employee - Leadership Role

I have been working at Aequilibrium full-time

Pros

AEQ is truly entrepreneurial. We are striving to be leaders in our field, and going for it. This year we were awarded with many industry awards which signified that we are focusing on the right stuff - really sharpening our craft and hiring the right people.

Cons

We are in high growth start up mode. We grew about 500% since I joined. This means growing pains, but I have worked in three start ups and what we are experiencing is typical.

Continue reading

"Staffing Company, Unfocused Vision, Below Market Pay"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Aequilibrium full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Team Events - Nintendo Switch - Beers on Friday

Cons

- Staffing Company: Most people don't work onsite - Well below market pay - Company is cheap, will skimp out on vacation, expenses, and salary. Most developers are using laptops from over 4 years ago. - Extremely high turnover (Around 6 months) - Entire leadership team left last summer - Have not been able to hire CTO in the past 10 months (they don't want to work here). Engineers are left hung out to dry, have no boss, no raises, poor work conditions. - Unable to secure projects, most employees have nothing to do (layoffs coming soon) - Would not trust previous reviews, are astroturfed.

February 11, 2019GM, People & Operations

I am sorry to hear you are having these experiences at Aequilibrium. Every fast growing company has some challenges and we don’t get everything right the first time. I've recently joined Aequilibrium and the feedback I've received so far is not consistent with your experience. So I'd really like to better understand your perspective and how to address your concerns. Please feel free to reach out to me, or any member of the leadership team, directly. Cheers, Amber

"A great company with great culture and great people"

I have been working at Aequilibrium full-time

Pros

- a lot of cool project - friendly co-workers - Friday beer - very good company culture

Cons

As company quickly growth, office space become tight now. However the good thing is the company already working on finding a new office.

November 20, 2017Recruitment Coordinator

Howdy, I must say that Friday beer is definitely a pro, but a Friday beer from 33 acres is what truly makes it legendary! Cheers, Gagan Recruiting & Culture

"Positive Work Environment With Great People"

Current Employee - QA Automation Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Aequilibrium full-time for less than a year

Pros

• Great place to work with friendly, funny, and smart people. • Lots of diverse projects. • Flexible management who are down to earth. • It's a small company, so your voice gets heard. • You get the opportunity to play with lots of different tools and technologies. • Things can also get done pretty quickly when you need to, since there aren't layers of bureaucracy and red tape to cut through.

Cons

• There is no space to move, people are crammed in like sardines. On the plus side during winter it's relatively warm because of the body heat. • The snacks run out too fast, especially the ice cream. • There is only one bathroom, though it is oddly clean for the most part.

November 20, 2017Recruitment Coordinator

Ello! Gagan here from Recruiting and Culture. I completely agree that we are surrounded by such friendly, funny (I’m the funniest), and smart people. It is amazing to see so much drive in our organization - and be warned, it is highly contagious. We cannot thank our team enough for being so patient while we find a new and improved office space. As for a timeline, we are looking to be out of here mid-December (wooo)! I love the suggestion about giving team members 4-8 hours to work on something they are passionate about. I will take it upon myself to see how we can incorporate this. Please know that you are encouraged to suggest improvements and can bring any idea forward to the leadership team or your peers. We want our team to feel empowered in shaping Aequilibrium as an organization. Cheers!

"Humble, tight-knit and growth-focused"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Aequilibrium full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Aequilibrium is full of some of the most brilliant people I've had the pleasure working with, but who share a level of humility uncommon to our field. The development teams are built with people with a learning mindset doing their best to check their ego at the door and do what's best to help achieve goals and grow their skills - AEQ has a growth mindset, and those who embody this thrive there. The company knows that its people are the company, and supporting the growth of individuals as contributors and members of larger project teams is what has lead to its success and intense passion for continuous improvement - Aequilibrium is a client-centred boutique focused on providing clients with functional, high-quality digital products. The team values technical excellence, but above all endeavours to do what's best for clients- it's rare to find development teams that can strike this balance. - The team shares my professional values of integrity, learning and personal growth, solution-focused client service, and humility. I've never felt more at home in any workplace. Aequilibrium are my family at work! - The company's leadership at all levels has team members' interests at heart, and has a strong background building winning teams, providing opportunities for growth and looking out for each other as best they can.

Cons

- Since Aequilibrium's primary focus is in professional services, teams will work on a number of different projects, and like any consulting or agency work, there are a variety of different types of clients, in which teams have varying degrees of autonomy. Sometimes client projects aren't always ideal. - No extended health/dental coverage other than a health spending account. Hoping to see this change as the company grows. - You may not always work with the exact technologies that you would prefer to- we prefer to work with a specific set of awesome modern tools, but ultimately build with what fits clients best. - Aequilibrium has seen a period of extremely rapid growth, which has been great for the team but also creates some unique challenges for the team to overcome. I'm excited to see the team continue to develop clear processes for communicating to ensure we're operating as cohesively as possible while maintaining the courage to champion truly Agile processes.

November 20, 2017Recruitment Coordinator

Hi there, My name is Gagan and I do all things Recruiting at Aequilibrium. You really highlighted some awesome points about AEQ. We love seeing our team grow as professionals, and want to support them and challenge them every step of the way. Our leadership team works in conjunction with you to create a growth plan with set goals and timelines. We have had many conversations surrounding our health and benefit plan, and have taken our team’s concerns quite seriously. Starting January 1st we will have extended health and dental coverage among other amazing benefits (yahoo!). Thank you so much for leaving a review to help us grow as an organization. Cheers, Gagan AEQ Talent Team

8. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Aequilibrium full-time for less than a year

Pros

Highly skilled team; Good infrastructure; Agile process deep in the company's culture; R&D department; Flexible schedule; Possible remote positions; Possible sponsorship to Canada; Relaxed atmosphere; Food available in the kitchen; Happy hour on site on Fridays;

Cons

Space is a bit tight for the size of the staff. But the company is looking for a bigger office.

November 20, 2017Recruitment Coordinator

Hiya, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We take pride in being a fully agile studio, and we practice these principles not only in our technical department, but in all departments (including recruiting). Thank you for being so patient during our search for an office space. We are moving quite soon, and are super stoked being one step closer in the process! Cheerios, Gagan Recruiting & Culture

9. "AEQamazing"

I have been working at Aequilibrium full-time

Pros

I love working at Aequilibrium for the atmosphere that I walk into everyday. I look forward to coming to work and socializing with the entire company, each individual is so charismatic in their own ways. Leadership always has time for you and is very accommodating. Aside from the people, the company itself is very pleasant to work at. You are allowed to have your opinions and thoughts, everything is welcomed. I highly recommend this company to anyone looking for a job.

Cons

Need more space in the office.

October 24, 2017Recruitment Coordinator

Hey friend, Gagan here - doing all things Recruiting at Aequilibrium. I am so thrilled to hear about your pleasant experience working with AEQ. I honestly believe we have the smartest, quirkiest, and hungriest (literally and figuratively) people on our team. I definitely agree with you - our leadership team is so accommodating - they always have five minutes for you (even if they don’t, they always do). As for the office space - we are working on it! We’ve grown our team from 9 to 45 just within one year, so the office is a little cozy. We’re hoping to move into a bigger space by the end of the year, latest. Thanks for being awesome, Gagan AEQ Talent Team

"Project-based work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Aequilibrium full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company was trying to implement software using agile best practices to the book.

Cons

Most of the work was off-loaded to outsourcing teams in Eastern Europe. Overtime work was almost a requirement.

May 29, 2017CEO

Hey there! This is Gagan from Recruiting and Culture at Aequilibrium. We definitely pride ourselves in being a full Agile studio, so thanks for the mention! We often help other software companies elevate their Agile delivery practice to increase both craftsmanship and speed. I’ve been with Aequilibrium for nearly a year now: at least since I started, all of our development has been done in-house, and our entire team is located in Vancouver, BC. We value work-life balance, and do not expect our team to be working overtime hours. Even more, as a thank you gesture to our team for achieving some key milestones, Aequilibrium gave the entire staff 2 extra weeks of paid vacation (in addition to the generous vacation time which is part of everyone’s compensation package). If there is anything else you’d like to chat about, you can shoot me an email at gagan.sangha@aequilibrium.ca. Thanks! Gagan

Found 18 reviews