ASDA Personal Shopper Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 1 Nov 2019

3.1
ASDA CEO Roger Burnley
Roger Burnley
  1. "Easiest of jobs, earliest of starts."

Current Employee - Personal Shopper
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love being able to turn up, clock in, switch off for a few hours, then clock out. No stresses. Low effort required both mentally and physically. Hardest part of the day is getting out of bed THAT early!

Cons

5am (occasionally earlier) starts. Some may find boring and tedious. Pick speed monitored, some may find annoying but this is fine if you're good at it!

ASDA2019-11-01
  2. "Easy job but early starts"

Current Employee - Personal Shopper in Rochdale, England

I have been working at ASDA part-time for less than a year

Pros

The job itself is really straightforward The pay is reasonable

Cons

Getting up for 5 am

Advice to Management

more money for overtime

ASDA2019-09-04
  3. "Good"

Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Bromborough, England

I worked at ASDA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and can easily progress

Cons

Constantly needing you to do overtime

ASDA2019-08-25
  4. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Personal Shopper

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Easy to swap shifts/work more hours - Easy to do in all ways

Cons

- Colleagues not overly nice and very cliquey

ASDA2019-07-19

"Unethical and Unreasonable Company"

Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Derby, England

I worked at ASDA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice colleagues, Discount, Can be enjoyable, Sometimes early finishes

Cons

Service Management, Unreasonable amount of hours expected considering small contracts given, Bullying and lack of care given about certain colleagues welfare (favouritism), False promises

Advice to Management

Learn how your department runs, stop palming your tasks onto others, respect your colleagues, employ enough colleagues to do the job in hand, stop treating some section leaders like dirt in other words treat everyone equal instead of this favouritism, learn what your own contracts actually mean, contract 6 flexibility does not mean you have to work more than your contract it means to be flexible within your... contracted hours, stop making empty promises and offering people progression when you can’t fulfil it. Bullying is a big issue that you need to fix especially with some management. Stop talking about other section leaders and colleagues in a malicious way through Facebook group chats! Actually put your anti social media tolerance policy into practice, And lastly learn what confidentiality means, management and certain section leaders should not gossip colleague information about health and other private life aspects that they have or haven’t discussed with their employer.

ASDA2019-07-06
  6. "Okay"

Current Contractor - Personal Shopper in London, England

I have been working at ASDA for more than 8 years

Pros

I've been doing home shopping for over 7 years it's good if your working with the right people. I like to work independently so this is what I like, no one to come and tell me what to do so often. The other workers who are doing same job as you are great, we get on really well. We get 10% staff discount. Perks at work, attractions, cinema etc.

Cons

Because it's home shopping everything needs to be on time. Vans need to be on time delivering to customers and it can go 50/50 everyday is a battle for manager. This is not meant to affect us but it does because the manager is stressed and takes it out on us. The times are early shift. It used to be 6-30am the company bullied everyone to 5am. This 1.5 hour difference effects my sleep, I have no energy after work and... I go to bed trying to sleep, most times I don't even sleep but I'm tired so I'm doing nothing because I can't not because I chose to. When it was 6:30am start I use to go gym after because I got a fair amount of sleep and had energy. I have to wake up 4am to get there for 5am and it effects my social life after work. The manager is a bully, he gave someone his sidekick position to bully. But this guy is not good at it so he makes up stuff to get you in trouble. Like he saw you talking to other staff, you took breaks longer than you should, you were on your phone, you came late. His a snake and a hypocrite because he does these things himself. There's another loader which also likes to make up things to get you into trouble. The whole Asda from head office to stores are bullies. They try and force change your contract. The have a new one which is they can schedule you to come in anytime, anyday. You work all bank holidays and if you refuse 3 times, your out. The wage is higher but the risk is also because they can use these tactics to get rid of you if the company says you need to get rid of X amount of workers, they can use this to make it difficult for you. They are planning to move everyone to this new contract by October 2019. They said if you refuse you are out. Trade union know about this and it's in the media so it's legal apparently. If you want to make a career in any department in the same store look elsewhere, they have favourites. Someone who is useless would get the job it's department on who they like not what they can do. Although it will be difficult getting higher position in your own store you can get it much faster if you opt in a program which sends you to a new store and I'd imagine it should work never tried it myself.

Advice to Management

Don't hire managers that can't cope with pressure. Read management books, I have done business at university and this is one quality a leader should not have, it affects the whole time and not for the good. Google it. Always looking for cheap labour isn't best.

ASDA2019-05-11
  7. "Good working environment"

Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Swanley, England

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

employee discount, flexible hours, good managers

Cons

not much of career prospects

ASDA2019-04-16
  8. "Great Pay, Not-so-great Management"

Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Edinburgh, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, overtime always available, consistent hours, the shop-floor colleagues are exceptionally nice, accommodating & down-to-earth.

Cons

The managers are abhorrent in their attitude towards their peers. Constant underpayment on overtime worked/sick pay & having to chase-up underpayments, lack of supply for uniform and delaying of discount card perks. A prevalent 'Us VS Them' mentality between managers and colleagues.

Advice to Management

Don't expect staff members to play into your power-trips. Take a leaf out of your colleagues handbook and acquire some people skills.

ASDA2019-01-22
  9. "Decent as far as retail goes."

Current Employee - Personal Shopper in Sheffield, England

I have been working at ASDA part-time for less than a year

Pros

Okay pay Overtime available Section leaders just as willing to work on shop floor as other workers.

Cons

None that I can think of, specific to the company.

ASDA2018-10-26
  10. "Love my new job"

Current Employee - Personal Shopper in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales

I have been working at ASDA part-time for less than a year

Pros

meet all kinds of people, feels like a family with other workers, rewarding

Cons

I have no cons at the moment

ASDA2018-09-25