APCO Worldwide "great place" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

APCO Worldwide Employee Reviews about "great place"

Updated 6 Oct 2019

3.6
APCO Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Brad Staples (no image)
Brad Staples
Pros
  • "Flexible in holiday-taking, professional in doing business, friendly working environment(in 19 reviews)

• "APCO Worldwide would be a great place to start a career(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "sometimes long hours and hard life-work balance(in 17 reviews)

• "Very demanding clients meant that work-life balance was a challenge(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "great place"

Return to all Reviews

"You can learn a lot if you're willing to fight your own battles"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

APCO boasts a diverse portfolio of clients for both long- and short-term projects, which opens a lot of opportunities to learn different industries and work with a lot of people. The "entrepreneurial" culture rings true, but what that really means is that you're on your own to fight your way through office politics. Great place to cut your teeth at advocating for yourself, working under constant organizational change, and learning to trust very few people. Once you put in a few years and earn the trust of those who matter, work/life balance is manageable due to being so independent and being able to create your own schedule. Arrive at 10am, leave at 5pm, or go on a trip and "work from home"... as long as the work is getting done, no one will ask questions. Compensation is reasonable if you're an aggressive negotiator or have a manager who does the same.

Cons

The office politics are beyond repair. Nepotism has led to a culture of cuddling up to senior leaders who pull weight politically & fending for yourself, sometimes at the expense of others. Management may claim to have your best interest in mind, but they're all just out for themselves, too. Must have a thick skin and be willing to tolerate a lot of BS to be successful. Constant organizational change and waves of departures leave little stability and isolate true talent. The office is very cliquey, so it feels like being thrown back into high school, choosing which table to sit at in the lunchroom. Choose wrong, and you're doomed.

Advice to Management

Take a good, hard look at the culture you're building. Your junior staff is overworked and underpaid, your mid-level staff is fighting for resources and for the attention & praise they need to be promoted, and your senior staff is more focused on their own success than ensuring the people under them are being supported, all while protecting the individuals they favor and overlooking others who are genuinely talented. The ability to navigate the APCO political web outweighs the skills needed to manage clients properly & produce high-quality work.

APCO Worldwide2019-10-06

"APCO Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for less than a year

Pros

APCO has a very horizontal power structure. Interns are treated as if they were full time employees earning salary and benefits. APCO Worldwide would be a great place to start a career. The work at APCO was satisfying and challenging.

Cons

The lack of a mentorship program for interns.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing with finding great LEADERS to lead the interns. You really have to be good with working and managing interns. Keep looking for the employees that possess these skills. There were some intern managers that weren't good, but my intern manager was wonderful. Keep finding good talent.

APCO Worldwide2018-10-11
  3. "Great Place to Learn"

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At APCO I worked with some of the smartest people in the industry who were extremely successful in previous careers before coming to the firm. The top-heavy nature of the firm made it a great place to learn from my superiors.

Cons

The top-heavy nature also made for a lot of work at the junior levels and the work-life balance wasn't great.

Advice to Management

Continue to nurture junior talent.

APCO Worldwide2017-11-06
  4. "Great place to learn"

Former Intern - Intern in Jakarta

I worked at APCO Worldwide for less than a year

Pros

Great place to learn for entry levels/fresh graduates very high liberty encouraged to handle a project

Cons

sometimes we could misunderstand our roles during projects

APCO Worldwide2017-01-03
  5. "Excellent - for the right fit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for less than a year

Pros

APCO is a great place to work - for most. Some people clearly have negative experiences with their managers or projects so outlook here can vary. If you're a capable professional don't come in here without doing some research on who you'll be working with and what their expectations are. For my personal experience, I'm very well paid, expectations are totally reasonable, there's not a lot of micromanaging, and everyone has a positive attitude. I love it. General good things -Regular office parties -Beer and pizza on Thursdays -Lots of trainings, office lunches, and other learning opportunities -Standing desks, new laptops, occasional tablet giveaways - tech is top notch -Everyone here has an impressive background -Great office location -Pay is good

Cons

Depending on your manager, your workload could suck. I hear some horror stories. This is a big enough place with a huge range of clients so you need to pay careful attention to who you'll be working with in your interview to get a feel for the fit.

Advice to Management

I think management has made some tough decisions the past year - cutting unprofitable teams, pushing legacy employees out the door - and I applaud it. Keep doing you and keep rewarding the best employees.

APCO Worldwide2016-10-16
  6. "Great place to work"

Help Desk Manager in Dumfries, VA

I have been working at APCO Worldwide for more than 8 years

Pros

APCO is a great place to work and the people are nice to work with.

Cons

Compensation is on the low end of the market. But this depends on what department and manager you'll be working with.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

APCO Worldwide2016-04-18
  7. "Awesome Company"

I have been working at APCO Worldwide

Pros

Great place to work, great environment

Cons

No Cons so far that I've seen

APCO Worldwide2015-09-12

"Operations vs Client Staff"

I worked at APCO Worldwide

Pros

I used to believe APCO was a great place to work, but it has drastically fallen behind.

Cons

Management are only worried about the client facing staff and have no regard for the operations staff. The operations staff are expendable and do not receive the same kind of rewards and recognition that the client staff do....even though most have been there for 5+ years.

Advice to Management

Listen and get to know your employees. There are far too many leaders of the company that have no idea who anyone in the office is. Also, be genuine and open with information.

APCO Worldwide2015-08-18
  9. "Vice President"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at APCO Worldwide

Pros

Great place to work, care about employees, innovative, interesting and diverse work, entrepreneurial, salary and benefits competitive with marketplace, solid management. Hires very smart people.

Cons

Company has changed a great deal over the last 5 years, many of the senior staff has left, less of focus placed on employees, greater emphasis on bottom line, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Management knows what it is doing and doesn't need advice from me. More mentoring needed, more depth...not so much breadth. Need more senior management to replace those wh have left.

APCO Worldwide2015-04-29

"Slow & Steady keeps you bored"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

The firm has a solid reputation, and if you want to work in PR/marketing/consulting, it's a great place to start. You'll learn the ropes, be exposed to some decent clients and interesting projects. It's great to have a big firm on your resume, definitely a door-opener.

Cons

Few opportunities for young employees to go above and beyond and take on more responsibility. You get promoted each year on the clock, (and can expect a very modest salary bump), rather than by merit or by proving your capabilities. Lots of internal problems between different teams, very segregated across sectors.

Advice to Management

Let young, ambitious people earn trust and responsibility, and reward those who prove themselves. Don't just make people methodically climb the corporate ladder each year.

APCO Worldwide2014-05-15