ALISON Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 21 Feb 2019

2.5

"Lucky Guy"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Galway

I have been working at ALISON full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Company - talented, hard-working and dedicated people from top to bottom - (not that there is much of a hierarchy here) - a nicer bunch of professionals would be hard to find. Company is growing with a strong vision and product pipeline for the future. Opportunity to grow - lots going on - new technologies being used all the time and good people to learn from.

Cons

Being single and from abroad, I'd like the company to be grow beyond the 40 or so staff it currently simply to improve my social life! Otherwise, this is somewhere I hope to stay long term.

Advice to Management

We have a great team - please keep that standard high and only hire the best!

ALISON2016-09-27

"Change is needed"

I worked at ALISON full-time

Pros

- Good place to start a career - Alison's idea of free education for all is an admirable goal. - Most of the staff are lovely. - Decent starting salary.

Cons

- Work can become very repetitive and monotonous. - No salary reviews after the initial six months. - No room for career development. - Often given work that had nothing to do with my job or area of expertise. - The CEO gets a new idea for a project, asks you to start working on it, then changes his mind when the work is almost completed - six weeks of work down the drain. I have seen this happen numerous times.... - Inconsistency among teams. If one team is allowed to change their working hours, these hours should be offered to other staff members if it doesn't affect the running of the business. - An employee working from home full-time should have the same workload as their fellow employees working in the office. If they cannot access the work, they shouldn't be working from home. There’s a terrible sense of “out of sight, out of mind” when it comes to allocating tasks. - Serious issues are ignored. An incident occurred where a staff member was verbally aggressive towards other employees, the manager didn't step in to diffuse the situation and when it was reported to HR, nothing was done about it. This created an uncomfortable working environment. - Employees working on the same team should get the same opportunities; one employee was given a licence to work with some new software tools to enhance their work. This gave off a sense of favouritism as it was not offered to fellow employees despite them working there longer. - To outsiders, the CEO made out that the company was thriving – in reality, a third of staff were let go. This happened as they were updating the Alison website, it wasn’t ready for external audiences but despite concerns from staff testing the website, the CEO decided to let the website go live. They lost hundreds of learners because the site didn’t work, there was no pick-up after six months, and in turn, staff were let go.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff.

ALISON2018-09-17

"Good as a starting point in career"

I worked at ALISON full-time

Pros

-Good starting salary (after first 6 months, for which you are on a reduced salary) -Good exposure to different types of e-learning content -Staff are lovely and easy to work with

Cons

-No room for upward movement -No salary increases from starting wage -Work can get repetitive after a while -Serious problems can be brushed under the carpet, even when continuously reported. While I worked here there was a staff member who was confrontational and bullied quieter staff members. Not only was he never reprimanded, he was given extra privileges despite being reported.

Advice to Management

It isn't easy for staff members to approach you about a workplace issue, when they do you should listen and respond accordingly. Out of sight is not out of mind. It's frustrating when an issue gets resolved by the perpetrator getting extra privileges (working from home), particularly when they then get away with working a lot less than all other team members who are meant to be on the same level.

ALISON2018-08-20

"High employee's turnover"

I worked at ALISON full-time

Pros

Some former employees were fantastic to work with but they left company before my contract ended. I was offered good salary rate, not sure about other departments. As this is e-learning company career opportunities are mostly for IT people. Work/life balance - work from Mon to Fri perfectly suited me.

Cons

Owner likes to threaten to make you redundant. Employees - most two-faced people I ever met and they are able to do anything behind your back to kick you out if you don't agree with them. Very small chances for appreciation. No values or culture whatsoever - everything is fake.

Advice to Management

They see that everyone else is a problem but not themselves. Good luck

ALISON2018-04-21

"Company has promise if things were managed properly"

I worked at ALISON full-time

Pros

- Decent salary - Nice people to work with - Working for a good cause

Cons

- Poor organisation and management of work - Often expects employees to do work that is not related to their position at all - Work often monotonous - No proper system in place to deal with employee issues (seem to just believe in "out of sight, out of mind" when it comes to issues) - Lack of flexibility with working hours (except with some staff for whatever reason) - Work environment is quite small and... cramped - Very little communication between departments which causes extra unnecessary work. This should not be an issue in such a small company.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your staff about ways that things can be improved and implement them - Listen to complaints and act on them immediately. Continually ask employees are situations ok instead of avoiding it the conversation - Stop asking staff to do work that is not what their role is. Hire people to do that. - Give more interesting and challenging work instead of wasting the skills of your hard working staff - Treat... all staff equally - Implement better organisation/management of work (weekly updates from all staff, more project management in general) - Have regular meetings between departments with all staff involved - Allow more flexibility in working hours (if a staff member gets in an hour early one day and works all day, they should be allowed to take an hour off later that week without having to give tonnes of notice)

ALISON2017-09-13

"Very Dynamic Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galway

I worked at ALISON full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a great place for people who like to have a say in the place they work for and how they work. It's also very much a meritocracy and people at all levels are respected equally. From a technical perspective, the company is open to trying cutting edge technology which is great. With the correct attitude, you will learn a lot from working here and you will be given the opportunity to do so.

Cons

It's very much an agile, start-up style environment - day to day objectives can change more frequently than may be comfortable for some people. This is really a matter of personal taste - some people thrive on this.

Advice to Management

Try and build on the pros - allowing a dynamic, engaged team to help steer the company. Mitigate some of the cons, by having a little more structure in approaching HR things, e.g. more 1:1s, that kind of thing.

ALISON2017-08-11

"Appreciative of Talent"

I worked at ALISON full-time

Pros

I found ALISON to be a pleasant and fair place to work. The salary was good, staff were great and management were very open to ideas and suggestions. The CEO is approachable, respectful, appreciative of talent and creativity and is very passionate about the company's mission. He aims high and expects the same from his staff.

Cons

A communal office would make for a more integrated feel to all departments.

Advice to Management

I really liked the fact that the CEO was open to new ideas. I'm not sure if you still do this, I would advise to continue those one-to-ones with staff - it's a real plus for any company.

ALISON2017-08-09

"Challenging and worthwhile work"

I worked at ALISON

Pros

- The work is challenging and at the centre of a dynamic growth industry - Modern technology and systems - Young and creative team in an ever expanding office - Risk taking is encouraged

Cons

- Change can sometimes be slow - Parkmore office can be difficult to access and parking spots are in demand

ALISON2017-07-31

"A lot done, more to do"

I have been working at ALISON full-time

Pros

Friendly colleagues - mostly young and up for a laugh Located in Galway Interesting work Company is built on an innovative concept

Cons

Salary is well below industry average High turnover of staff/ fears for job security Management can be closed to new ideas

Advice to Management

If you hire people for a specific role, let them do their thing. Consider them the expert on that area, even if you have a background in it, and be willing and open to new ideas.

ALISON2017-03-30

"Best job of my life"

I have been working at ALISON full-time

Pros

The team is excellent. I've never worked with so many people I get along with. Work is innovative and knowing how much we change people's lives really makes you want to come to work in the morning. Good incremental pay raises, and career development opportunities. Lots of new technologies to work with and a very entrepreneurial and open approach to their adoption.

Cons

Offices are a bit cramped as they are hiring a lot of staff. Car parking is an issue. If you are in late you can never find a place.

Advice to Management

Get bigger offices

ALISON2016-09-26