Interview Question

Vacation Student: Geotechnical Engineer Interview

AngloGold Ashanti

What do you know about AngloGold Ashanti? Tell us about any Geotechnical projects you have done at Uni. Tell us about your thesis.

AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answer

1 Answer

To get their attention talk about what you think you know about the role or ask questions about the role. In the context of; I have heard that geotech in mining involves taking core samples of the rock and then running compression tests to gather the strength of the rock. Then it is modelled using software to determining the stability and structural integrity of either the underground tunnel or open pit wall. Cable bolts and shotcrete is applied to give strength as reinforcing if there is a risk of cave in etc. Also at Curtin uni we used Slog software to design a raft footing for a house on cohesive soils and also used plaxis to design sheet pile walls to protect a structure from adjacent demolition or earthworks I can't remember. Reiterate that you know this is soil engineering and not rock mechanics which they deal with in mining but you are excited to learn.

Anonymous on

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.