Western Digital Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Western Digital Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Western Digital

3.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Digital in April 2018.

Interview

Applied online . Manager called and phone screen(normal design best practices question from manager). This was followed by in-person in week's time , 3 person interviews , lunch with manager ,decision was on same day

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Western Digital

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Fremont, CA (US)) in August 2015.

Interview

Straight forward interview. No trick questions. Interviewer were very professional. Over all it was positive experience. Asked valid job related questions. Made sure I was at ease while answering. Interview was in panel of 2 person. Total 4 panels. Lasted for 4 hours.

Interview Questions

• Walk use through the challenging problem you resolved in your past company.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Digital in August 2009.

Interview

WD's recruiter contacted me and did the usual recruiter/HR level interview consisting of talking through my background, seeing if I was interested in the positions they were hiring for etc. He said everything sounded fine and would schedule the in person interview. About a week later, I got an email with the schedule.

The in person interview process was on the tougher side, with a total of 4 interviews over a 5 hour period. It started with a 30 minute skills assessment test mostly consisting small snippets of C or C++ code with various types of questions (Is there anything wrong with this code? Write a recursive function. Write the same function in an imperative fashion.) I hadn't coded in either C or C++ for some time and was in fact interviewing for a C# position, so the details of the languages escaped me a bit, but I had the gist of things.

Then I spoke with the recruiter for about 15 minutes about the positions, the company, their bonus program and so on, basically getting his sales pitch for the company and position.

Next came one of the team leads who gave a behavioral/personality type interview. Nothing too tough, I thought it went well and we seemed to get along well. He asked what I liked to do outside of work and programming/technology, what kind of stuff I liked working on and questions in that vein.

Then came the technical interviewer. He seemed to be a very bright, very focused guy and was definitely the most challenging aspect of the interview, very similar to the stories we've all read of Microsoft and Google interviews. He went over my test, pointed out some mistakes, talked over them and asked additional questions like "How would you count the number of bits that are set to 1 in an int?" along with some more open ended, no right answer type questions. He also asked what I preferred working on, which type of WD software (firmware, drivers, applications) I was most interested in.

The third (not counting the recruiter) interview was with two young guys who looked like they were both right out of college. I am guessing this interview was with people I would be working with and mentoring. I like the fact that WD did this, it shows that the company cares what the junior employees think too. They were pretty clearly new at interviewing (or played the part well) and didn't have much to ask, so I just started asking them about working at WD, how long they had been there, what school they graduated from (UCI both), talking about favorite courses and lecturers there etc.

The final interview was with the hiring manager. This was the second toughest portion of the day. He asked more probing, deeper questions about my previous projects. I had a hard time recalling some finer details of some of the stuff I had worked on two years prior, but did my best. Mostly this interview was digging into the guts of past and current projects, the environment at my current employer etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you count the number of bits that are set to 1 in a binary number?   1 Answer

Negotiation

WD seem to be very tight when it comes to negotiations, and each communication from them during the process has taken about a week, which is very unnerving. I was able to get a little over 5% more through negotiation where I have bumped up 10-15% at companies in the past. Maybe WD is just better about not trying to low ball candidates. They also talk up the bonus program, which means the base salary is lower. I personally would rather toss the bonus program and have a higher base, but maybe that is just me.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Western Digital (Bengaluru (India)) in March 2015.

Interview

Two to three rounds of interview in the embedded domain and programming language. Once the technical round is cleared, you are then interviewed by the HR. HR is very friendly and flexible.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Western Digital in October 2019.

Interview

Worst interview process ever seen in my entire career. I have 8.5 years of experience and interview er person have 7 years . They don’t have professional behavior in interview. Laughing and making fun . Don’t have proper skill set to conduct interview still making fun of interview candidates. Worst company ever seen.

Interview Questions

• Panel guys don’t skill set to conduct interview for experience associates.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.