Walmart eCommerce Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at Walmart eCommerce

2.8

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA (US)) in February 2019.

Interview

Applied online, received an email with questions and a link to a game within a few days. No phone/technical screen whatsoever. Was invited onsite quickly with a group of 6 from 10AM-2PM with no break in between. Not even for lunch. (Although a meager 15 mins was mentioned in the schedule, the interviewers failed to adhere to their allotted time slots). And they knew that I had to start from home around 8AM since it'd be a 2 hour drive. Well, at least they provided me water from a fountain which was all I had for around 8 hours. I'm so indebted to them.

Here comes the best part. I applied to, and prepared for a specific role. ALL the interviewers quizzed me on a role I hadn't even applied to. Overall, it was truly a bizarre experience. It's Walmart, what would you expect.

Interview Questions

• Some advanced Tableau and SQL questions and white boarding.   Answer Question
    • "Did you even go through the job description"
      Context: I was confused about my responsibilities after the third interviewer since each person gave conflicting responses previously. So I asked the Sr. Mgr what my focus would be on. And that was her response. Well, nothing that the interviewers spoke about was in the job description.   Answer Question

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

I got a call from the recruiter fairly quickly after applying online. She set up a call which went well. I was then set up to talk to the hiring manager on the phone. The call went well and he asked a lot of great questions.

I sent a follow up email/thank you note to the recruiter and both the hiring manager. That was 4 weeks ago. Til this day, I have not received one bit of information on the status of the position.

I have gotten an offer for another job at another company so I'm not upset I didn't get the job at Walmart. I just want to point out that I believe it is in good practice to at least email all candidates some type of status whether it's "hey we went with another candidate" or "we'd love to move forward."

Interview Questions

• Have you shopped on walmart.com before?   1 Answer

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA (US)) in November 2011.

Interview

Initially a phone interview with a hr who contacted on LinkedIn. Expect a lot of flakiness with hr team. They are not very good. If you get through, expect a phone interview with the hiring manager. If you get through, you will have many more interviews.
    A day of interviews with multiple stakeholders. Before the interviews start there is an IQ test. It is not hard. Lots of resume questions, character questions and fit on work experience and history. Got an offer within a day. After offer, need to do hr screening and drug test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not able to negotiate

Associate Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

There was a recruiter that got in touch and related my experience to the job, told me about the job and set up a time to meet the hiring manager for the department they were looking for. After a short interview with the hiring manager, I had 3 back to back interviews within a week. They were looking to hire fast and I was the last they interviewed (I believe) so I knew the result within a few days and started 2 weeks later.

Associate Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

2 phone interviews. One basic behavioral questions and the other had a market sizing case. Got in-person interview schedule with 6 interviews back to back (45 min each). All were mainly case based interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (Carlsbad, CA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

The first interview was a live online coding challenge, I had the question about how to get the least amount of coins for giving change.

After that, I had a 5-6 hour in person interview on the Carlsbad campus. Two of the interviewers were remote from the Sunnyvale office. All of them had you do whiteboarding/live coding session. Questions included:
    - Networking / how does the internet work
    - Fibonacci using recursion and not using recursion
    - Currying
    - Closures
    - Find the highest and lowest sum out of an array
    - Using reduce to change an array of objects to one object
    - shuffle a deck of cards
    - Implement your own forEach
    - Performance of JS array functions
    - How do you think Youtube works?

Overall I thought it was not too bad, I thought I did well. I was kind of surprised when I didn't get an offer. There was one interviewer that I think didn't like me, he was condescending and bad at communicating. I would ask him what he wanted, he would give me a one word answer, and when I tried to continue he would tell me "no not that way". And when I didn't know something, I admitted it, but he wouldn't move on from there.

Interview Questions

• - Networking / how does the internet work
      - Fibonacci using recursion and not using recursion
      - Currying
      - Closures
      - Find the highest and lowest sum out of an array
      - Using reduce to change an array of objects to one object
      - shuffle a deck of cards
      - Implement your own forEach
      - Performance of JS array functions
      - How do you think Youtube works?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

I applied through employee's referral. The technical round was straightforward but on-site was difficult. In the technical round, one data structure questions, i.e., hashmap, one algorithm question, were asked. In on-site, I had algorithm related questions and went over resume together. Third and fourth round were design questions.

Interview Questions

• Data structures, hashmap, and algorithm question in technical round. DP question in on-site.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA (US)) in June 2013.

Interview

First was an HR interview where they did ask about my salary requirements (which I naively answered).

Then a technical phone interview with coding on a web whiteboard. After a little bit of conversation, he asked the coding question, below.

I passed this interview and was scheduled for the onsite in San Bruno which involved 5 hour-long interviews with a lunch break. I thought the first one went well, but the second one I forgot to check all the test cases. I was sent home after 2 interviews. I had to sign an NDA so I can't give the questions that I was asked onsite. Since I was done early, I had to hang out at the airport for 8 hours, in the terminal that had the worst food.

They book the flight and hotel, but I still haven't gotten reimbursed for my travel expenses.

Interview Questions

• Take a ladder with 5 steps, write a function that gives all the possible combinations of either 1,2, or 3 steps, in any order, to get to the 5th step, and returns the total number of combinations. So some of the possibilities would be [1,1,1,1,1], [1,1,1,2], [1,1,2,1], etc. Then he asked the same question with order not being considered, so [1,1,1,2] and [1,1,2,1] are the same solution.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA (US)) in November 2013.

Interview

Recruiter contact through LinkedIn, followed by an initial screening and a couple of phone interviews, which included some basic algorithm questions, scalability, basic OO concepts and some very specific front-end questions (JS).

After these got scheduled for an onsite interview. While in the process, a different team expressed interest (Senior Software position), so I interviewed with both teams on the same day.

Team 1 interviews included a Data Scientist, the Hiring Manager and a Senior Engineer. Questions included understanding of front-end techniques and frameworks (JS, CSS, HTML), and some actual problems the team was dealing with.

Team 2 interviews included basic WS design, scalability and big data, concurrency and other OO concepts. A lunch interview at Walmart's cafe was also included. The interviewer was asking some though questions so it was pretty hard to enjoy lunch.

In general every single engineer working there was extremely friendly and helpful during questioning, with a single exception (the most senior guy interviewing me).

Walmart took care of setting up flights and hotel, and asked to save receipts for them to refund. The coordinators and recruiters handling the process were very professional and helpful and were very good at following up and providing timely updates.

In general Walmart seems to place more focus on specific technologies/techniques knowledge rather than looking for the skills the big players like Google and FB seek (general CS, algorithm and problem solving). The problem with these is that you either know or you don't - it's fairly hard to come up with an answer if you haven't been exposed to them before.

The impression I got is that right now is a good time to join the company - they are trying to rebuild their complete e-commerce infrastructure, so there's opportunities to work in projects from the early stages. Plus, at the scale Walmart demands, the challenge is certainly welcome by any software professional looking to take the next step.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

similar to google or amazon

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.