VMware Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at VMware

1,581 Interview Reviews

3.1

HR Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Interview lasted overall 3 hours, which was very tiring for an introverted person. It included 1 in person and 2 virtual calls at their main office in California. Two of the interviews started on time, the third was 20 minutes late because the interviewer misread her calendar. All in all, they had fair questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone Interview with Technical Question: First the interviewer briefly introduced himself then asked me to do the same, then quickly jumped into the technical algorithm question with shared screen. The interviewer was polite and helpful, and was willing to give hints to solve the problem.

Member of Technical Staff III Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

I interviewed with one team in July. The interviews were scheduled on short notice. A week later, the recruiter informed me that the team really liked me and wanted to hire me. But they found a better candidate so I get the "metaphorical" silver medal. He iterated it's not a reject.

Since I had a positive feedback from the first team, the recruiter offered to find another team for me. He did find one and asked me to apply for it when the team publishes the opening for the MTS3 roles. Over a month but the team still couldn't publish the opening. Anyway, I somehow interviewed with this new team after applying to a link provided for a lot senior role. The round with the Director was frustrating. He wanted to hear only what suited him. There was a disconnect between what the recuiter told me and what the Director wanted. The recruiter told me it will be an MTS 3 role (same as last team) but the Director pointed out MTS3 is too senior a role for me.
    After that, he kept on asking how soon I can join? I told him that I would need to serve the 2 weeks notice period at my current employer. Plus the time it takes to transfer my work visa. Few minutes later, he complained that I didn't answer him that how soon I can join him. Bit irritated, I told him attorneys handle the transfer, not me. I doubt he was able to register it. Another red flag- they haven't bothered to see my application where my visa status is clearly mentioned.
    He kept on complaining that I am leaving my current company in one year and he would prefer someone who would stay for a long time. I pointed him out that I worked for 3 years at my first job and left only when going for my MS. This made me clear that he didn't even listen to my answer when he asked why I am leaving my current job in little over a year.
    It was frustrating to see him squirming to join asap when he couldn't even publish the job on the portal in over a month. I had another round with them and satisfactorily solved the question.
    The next day recruiter told me that the Director didn't find me to be a fit at this time (Sure, I was not). He assured that he will keep pn looking for more roles for me. At this point, I told him I am not interested in VMware anymore.
    The way recruitment is done at this company is horrible. Both times, they failed to schedule the interviews on time. If I would provide Thursday and Friday as available days on Monday, they would not get anything done until Thursday. Then they would force me to go through 2-3 rounds with less than a 24 hours notice. Horrible, horrible recruitment.

Interview Questions

• The second team that stressed upon being a "Java" team asked to solve a simple question in C/C++.
      Was asked a OOD design which was poorly explained.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

They run a solid interview process. Expect to have multiple interviews and calls with different people in the company to pursue a position here. They seem to be a friendly and professionally run company.

Product Design Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)).

Interview

After the recruiter contacted me, they scheduled the first round interview right away. There were two rounds in my interview process, one with the manager, and one with the senior product designer on the team.

Interview Questions

• The interview was based on the contents I had prepared, a 15-20min case study presentation of my works.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me about 1 month after I applied online. There were 2 video interviews with a phone screen with the recruiter. The recruiter was very transparent about what they were looking for in the intern. It was a very clear and organized process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Tell me about a time you took initiative.   Answer Question

Tech Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

It took a very long time to get to the face to face. I sat with 3 managers and each had different objectives. 1) Assessments 2) Get to Know You 3) Troubleshooting Problems

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know if you understood SQL queries and if you could lay out a simple one.   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware in August 2020.

Interview

Online assessment, it was difficult unless your saw the question before. Lots of guys research the previous questions so they can get the answer before the OA even started. It is not fair that the first process is not an efficient way to filter out the candidates.

Interview Questions

• The hardest one is same as 'slope trick' in codeforce   1 Answer

Solutions Engineer Interview

Interview

The most insulting process ever. Even with an internal referral from a Staff Solutions Engineer I got a random generated note within 8 hours saying sorry. No explanation. No way to get a hold of people. This was for Carbon Black. I have a great resume when it comes to EDR.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware in August 2020.

Interview

Brief chat with a recruiter on the phone. Then, they asked me to do a programming assignment, expected to take about eight hours to complete. Based on how I did on that, they scheduled a final interview. There was about a three week time between the assignment and the interview. The interview was four hours, using zoom to chat with four different interviewers with a 15 min break between each interview.

Interview Questions

• Data structures, algorithms, complexity analysis, concurrency concepts, Linux memory management, network and scalability, Kubernetes and containers, general programming.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.