Spotify Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at Spotify

2.9

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

The interview process took 10 weeks from start to finish and included 3 in person meetings and several phone calls. This is an insane amount of time and interviews for a mid level paralegal position. They went for weeks without updating me on the interview process and I had to send a few requests for an update before they finally told me that I would not be receiving an offer. Overall the interview process was pretty negative, drawn out and unprofessional (the recruiter I was working with quit and the new one had no idea where I was in the interview process). I am grateful for not getting this job, as I am in a much better position somewhere else, with better benefits and pay. So it all worked out I suppose.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about contract management and my knowledge of software licensing contracts.   2 Answers

Javascript Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY (US)) in May 2013.

Interview

A Talent Acquisition rep reached out to me via LinkedIn, indicating that they wanted to talk to me about a Javascript Engineer position. I responded (via LinkedIn) that I was interested in the position. After not hearing back for over a week I contacted the rep directly (their email address was listed publicly).

The rep responded within minutes to let me know that she didn't handle the Javascript Engineer position and that she would pass my resume off to the correct person. I was included on the hand-off / handshake email. The new rep responded almost immediately and requested that I re-send my resume (even though the hand-off email included all of my LinkedIn details and a copy of my resume).

After some back-and-forth to confirm that the phone number listed on my resume (the same number that appeared in the signature of all of my emails) was the best number to reach me, we scheduled a phone call for later in the week. The phone call was simply to confirm that I was interested in the previously-discussed Javascript Engineer position and that I was capable of writing "non-jQuery" Javascript. With those points established we scheduled a second phone call with an engineer for the following week.

When the engineer called, he hadn't seen my resume and knew nothing about me other than my name and that he was to quiz me on all things Javascript. The first few questions were straight-forward; "what's the difference between 'var x = 0' and 'x = 0'". Subsequent questions were vague and covered some broad topics, "describe closures", "describe a couple design patterns", etc.

After the quiz we talked about the range of products & tools teams worked on as well as the way Spotify constructs its teams. Because the engineer knew nothing about me or which position I was interviewing for, he couldn't provide any detail about the team or product I'd be working on.

Why was I contacted by someone about a position they had no control over? Why did I have to wait 3 days to have a 5 minute phone call just to verify that I was applying for the position they had contacted me about? Why hadn't the interviewing engineer been given a copy of my resume and been told which position I was interviewing for? While everyone I spoke to was friendly, there was a general air of disinterest. The entire process felt muddled and impersonal which is unfortunate, considering that the process was started when the company reached out to me.

Interview Questions

• In Javascript, how would you make a variable read-only?   7 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Spotify (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

Worst interview process. Be careful if you consider going for an onsite. They don't reimburse your expenses if you are not offered a job and they don't even have the minimum courtesy to let you know the status.

Interview Questions

• What ever they wanted to ask with out considering your skills stated on the resume   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was simple - an initial phone screening, a G+ hangout interview with coding exercise, and an onsite interview that lasted 3 hours with 3 separate interviewers.

- The initial interview went well. No problems

- The second interview is where things started becoming awkward. I started with a senior there who asked a few of the standard questions, as well as more complex topics like GC and distributed systems, of which i was able to answer most of them (though, I was not trying out for any of the tuning or infrastructure jobs), but the coding exercise was strange. He asked a question about how to find the max of an array, which was an easy O(n) problem which was implemented perfectly. I mentioned that max could be done in terms of fold, and as soon as I said that, he seemed to become confrontational, immediately asking me to implemented fold, which I did. Then, with 10 minutes before the close of the interview, he asks me to do a maximal subsequence problem in java, of which I'm not the most familiar, because i'm a Scala programming (i.e. what they were hiring me for). I gave the basic algorithm, but because we don't see dynamic programming too much in Scala, it was a tough sell, not to mention an impractical amount of time to ask such a question.

- The onsite interview reflected more of the same, though, I came prepared for more dynamic programming questions and nailed the first and last interviews, while the 2nd (on constructing a distributed system) was not the best. To add to that, the interviewer used terminology that I don't think he understood (for instance, asking to construct a real-time event feed, but then the solution being more of a micro-batch update feed), and was confusing to someone who understood the terms.

The takeaway from all of this is that the job listings are not quite accurate, the interviewers are very VERY naive when it comes to interviewing as far as time to answer questions go, as well as with content. Since when are vector clocks and in-depth knowledge of garbage collection algorithms considered CS fundamentals? Especially for an FP role?

Interview Questions

• Construct a distributed system that handles real time event processing   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

The interview started with a phone call with HR, followed by a technical interview and an onsite interview. The onsite interview involves four different interviews, each looking for different aspects: technical skills, fit and motivation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Interview

approached by recruiter,45 -60 min call with recruiter , 1 hr video screen, 6 hr on-site interview. I did not get the offer, and the worst part that they wouldn't tell why - they gave a canned answer, saying it's due to lack of experience with ABC, which was apparent from the resume, so why bring me onsite, without offering to pay the travel expenses and keep me there for 6 hours? Otherwise all the interviewers were nice and polite

Interview Questions

• behavioral questions - describe a situation when .. and your actions - 1-2 hours filled with those, programming questions - nothing fancy basic data structures, and problem solving, system troubleshooting and system architecture   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Easy and fast process. Met manager and team members, felt I got a good overview of the team and what to expect in the role, but the thing I missed was a more solid presentation of the company itself.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your biggest challenge in your current job   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY (US)) in August 2016.

Interview

After the initial HR call, I was told that there would be two technical screens- one testing general CS knowledge, the other domain-specific, prior to on-site interviews. Both would be an hour long and take place over Google Hangouts. Scheduling was done on EST, as the New York offices seemed to be in charge of U.S. engineering hiring.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of numbers, find the longest consecutive subsequence.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Spotify in March 2016.

Interview

An awkward experience.

Everything started as usual, short phone interview with hr which I actually enjoyed because the guy was really friendly. Than he scheduled a phone interview with their engineer shortly. On phone tech interview we had a nice talk with a little bit of coding at the end, nothing special. Than I was contacted by my hr and he told me that I've passed and asked about the dates when I can fly to NY.

Now the awkward part, shortly after that I've been contacted by another hr who said that she discussed me with my initial hr. She asked for another phone interview, on which I thought we would be discussing onsite travel and availability dates, but instead she started to go through the same questions I've been asked on the very first call and at the end she proposed to schedule another tech phone interview.

After the second phone interview I got rejection letter, bottom line, don't be happy too early.

Interview Questions

• What is the alternative ways to refactor DNS ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online just to get a glance at what the interview process at Spotify looks like. I had a phone screen with a recruiter. It was a quick call and got a very good impression. I just decided to not continue in the process since it was only a test.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.