Sky Interview Questions in London, UK | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at Sky

3.1

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

Sky Engineering Academy

I applied online, and received further instructions a week later. I had to do a programming task home and had a week to complete it. Not the hardest thing I've done by far, but because I tried to ace it, it took me an unexpected amount of time (several afternoons).

After this, I was appointed for a phone interview, really short, they just wanted to confirm my personal data and to make sure I understood the conditions of the position. I was then scheduled for an assessment day, in which I was required to work with other candidates over the day. We would have people looking at what we were doing for the whole duration, but they were friendly and even offered help at times.

The tasks we were asked to do collectively were really fun, with even robots involved! The atmosphere was really friendly the whole time, I can't stress this enough.

There was also a small 1:1 interview in which they asked the usual personal questions (what is your worst defect etc...).

At the end of the day, they guided us through their campus and installations and let us talk with current employees to ask anything we wanted without anyone overlooking what questions we were asking.

Overall I couldn't be more impressed.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any hard questions, some of the candidates were not computer scientists and had little experience as programmers, although they had impressive backgrounds from top universities. They were much more interested in our attitude than our skills.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary was made clear since beginning, didn't negotiate.

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

The whole process took 3 weeks and went through 4 stages. The first stage was a phone interview with HR. I was asked basic questions relating to why I wanted to work there and so on(no technical stuff). The phone interview with the woman from HR was very pleasant and easy. The second stage was a phone interview with one of the senior engineers. This time I was asked more technical questions relating to software engineering. The third stage was the code production stage. I was sent a brief and was asked to develop a small application so they could get a feel for my programming abilities and style. And after all that I was finally invited for a face to face interview with two of the companies senior software engineers. This last interview stage was split into two parts. The first part was just sitting down and having a chat with the two engineers about the code I had produced earlier and just talking about different technologies. I really enjoyed this part as we were having a proper chat and it felt like I was talking to some friends from University and not like I'm being interviewed for a job. The second part was an aptitude test. This part was slightly less enjoyable since the test requires you to concentrate very hard for a very long period of time, but at the same time It was not very difficult and quite thought provoking.

Interview Questions

• "Tell us about your dissertation project."   1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

interview experience insights with job:
    Lengthy screening & lot of waiting to get called for the next stages.

They asked to appear for Test
    Face to face interview with whiteboard exercise
    Asked questions about technology Front end & Frameworks
    Also lot of personality type questions
    Overall realxed but challenging processs
    Needed to wait for week or so to get the the feedback

Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

I replied to an advert. About two weeks later I was asked to interview. The interview was fairly standard with some behavioural questions. There was also a legal question sent before the interview which was discussed. I also met some of the legal team. However, that was the last I heard of the matter despite asking for feedback. I chased after the interview and received no reply. It would have been nice if SKY had the courtesy to come back and tell me they were not taking my application forward instead of "radio silence"

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Everyone was very welcoming. It was a pleasant experience, and is different to other 1:1 interviews, as it was a relaxed environment. The interview process as a whole was very laid back and didn't quite feel like an interview. The process was simple and explained before it began. It started with a task, a tour, and then the interview where the interviewer wrote down notes.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to how you work as a team and problem solve. They were very easy to answer and most of the questions required an example.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in March 2019.

Interview

I applied two roles at Sky, a Scala based and a Java based. They sent two very simple technical tasks what I solved in my best knowledge, added test cases, designed properly.

For the Scala based they failed me with this reason: Not enough functional. Excuse me, if you want something more functional please design a task which is much suitable for using the functional features. The best Scala feature what candidates really can use are pattern matching.

For the Java based they failed me with this reason: My solution doesn't fulfill the requirements what is ridiculous, because my program solves the exact problem what they wanted.

Interview Questions

Sky Response

26 Mar 2019 – Recruitment Business Partner - Technology

Hi We're sorry to hear that you had a bad experience interviewing with us and we apologies if the test didn’t meet your expectations. To ensure that this never happens again, we’ll be sure to pass... More

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied for the role via Sky's website and after a few months I had actually forgotten that I applied. I was happy to hear from Sky inviting me for an interview. The interview was conducted in a professional manner by the hiring manager who gave a detailed description of the role. My opinion of the interview was quite positive however, the fact that the only questions asked were knowledge based gave me the impression that developing talent is not part of Sky's ethos. Overall I enjoyed the interview process and it was a pleasure to have met the hiring manager who seemed very knowledgeable and someone I could have worked well with.
    After 2 rounds I was told that I would be contacted the following week with next steps. Unfortunately I have not been contacted to date. From other reviews on glassdoor Sky has a reputation of taking a long time to get back to candidates so if you are a potential candidate be prepared for long periods with no communication. Their HR contacts are also very difficult to reach by phone or email.

Interview Questions

• Difficult questions involved being given a scenario and asked how I would handle it. so it was expected that I had in-depth knowledge of the market and how sky work.   Answer Question

Network Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Resourcing phone call followed by telephone interview. Applied direct and got a call 3 days later, followed by a 'technical interview' the following week. Very displeased with how many times he repeated questions and went deep into subjects. I was asked to recite protocol attributes and describe theory only. When asked to talk about my skills and thinking process, an almost total disregard for my answer and again prying intricate details out of my answer. Some I did not understand, and were met with smug and laughter that I couldn't recite certain things. Terrible interviewer and stupid questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe the decisions made in BGP before neighbours are created   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied via recruitment agent and attended one interview. The interview involved a 45 minute face to face experience based questioning with two Financial Controllers and then a 15 minute break where a hypothetical, competency based question was asked and the 15 minutes were used to prepare an answer. This was followed by a second round (also 45 minutes) of competency based questioning with a different Financial Controller. Finally followed by a campus tour. Selection was made based on this one interview.

Interview Questions

• How many petrol stations are there in the UK?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard online application, telephone conversation, CBI, group interview and presentation. Very welcoming and friendly team.
    You are shown around the company and wooed with benefits and promises.
    Overall straight forward and a good company to work with.

Interview Questions

Sky Response

15 May 2018 – Community Manager

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're pleased you had a positive experience with us and we hope you enjoy your new role. Thanks, Sky.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.