Scrapinghub Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at Scrapinghub

2.4

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scrapinghub (Remote, OR (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

I filled out the application and within 2 weeks got a request via email for an interview (Remote). I spoke with someone from Scrapinghub HR and set a date for an interview the following Wed. I was ready and looking forward to it, I even used my lunch hour to have the interview at a time that worked with Ireland timezone all for me to be sitting there for 30 minutes requesting to enter a video meeting that no one ever joined. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• I wasnt asked any questions because the interviewer was a no show.   Answer Question

Python Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Scrapinghub (Remote, OR (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

After filing my CV and code sample I received an automated email telling that I will be contacted. About 10 days past a pleasant guy from the company emailed me the specs for a trial project with a few hints based on my sample code review (a neat touch!). It took me about 2 calendar days (or about 11 hours of pure working time) to accomplish, a few days to receive confirmation and a couple weeks later I've received a somewhat scripted reply from HR (I suppose) that my results were correct, but the code quality (styling mostly) is not high enough to progress further. She also attached a review (which is good!).

I wouldn't lie about the difficulty of the trial - the task itself is easy to accomplish, but difficult to do it right. Code styling requirements are very high, PEP8 has to be followed to the letter, Zen of Python and latest Python 3 conventions are a must.

Negative impressions: pretty slow-paced communication and one email completely ignored by a woman from (supposedly) HR. Actually it was the only email I sent to her.

Positive impressions: generic attitude (especially of the first person I contacted with), a great thoughtfulness and thorough attention to details in everything - from hiring process to the code and workflow (I took a peek at their public repositories and bugtracker).

I think it's a good company to work at, definitely worth a try.

Interview Questions

Scrapinghub Response

6 Feb 2019 – Head of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback on our hiring process. At Scrapinghub we strive hard to improve the overall applicant experience and we will definitely work on your feedback.

Given the fact that our... More

Python Developer Interview

Interview

Don't be fooled by these guys. They only hire to outsource developers from Eastern Europe and South America. They post on HN, StackOverflow that they're hiring remote, but they're not even going to consider a domestic, protected, salaried employee at a market rate.

Shame on you for being so greedy and stringing thousands of qualified people on. If you're not going to hire salaried domestic workers with labor protections, say that in your advertisements.

Interview Questions

Scrapinghub Response

24 Nov 2017 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you for your comment. Scrapinghub is a globally distributed team of over 100 Scrapinghubbers who are passionate about scraping, web crawling and data science. Our organisation model is... More

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Scrapinghub (Remote, OR (US)) in December 2015.

Interview

First round is a face-to-face with sysadmin and/or infrastructure team. This one is a bit technical but not too much. The good thing is that tools discussed are the ones that will be actually used day in day out. Second round is with management mostly for cultural fit. Everyone is very polite and understanding.

Interview Questions

• Generic questions about docker and UNIX cli troubleshooting tools.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scrapinghub (Remote, OR (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

I send my cv. They asked me to do a small test project. I did it. I had no more info about them. I sent them an email. Still waiting response :-(

Interview Questions

• how to implement a particular model   1 Answer

Python Developer - Scraping Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Scrapinghub (Remote, OR (US)) in June 2018.

Interview

a '10' hour coding project what will take 20 hours if you don't know scrapy.
    After you spend 20 hours on it and getting it to work perfectly, they'll give you a code review consisting of 1 sentence and 5 words. Maybe they don't even look at the code.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Scrapinghub in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and provided a resume along with a portfolio of projects including one using scrapy, Scrapinghub's web scraping library. My submission was acknowledged promptly via email but 2 months passed before I was informed I wasn't selected. The length of time it took to get a response seemed excessive. The responder did apologize for the delay and encouraged me to reapply in the future.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Scrapinghub.

Interview

I received an email from Pablo Hoffman asking me if I'm interested in a position, I applied and sent a sample coding example.
    I had a brief interview for 30 minutes with minimal technical questions.
    I then received an email asking me to work on a transition period as a test, I worked for around one month for around 20 hours per week.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Scrapinghub.

Interview

Write multiple scrapers for e-commerce websites using scrapy in your free time. The output of your scrapers is compared against some reference implementation and your code reviewed. You'll receive a PDF report with the results of the code review and whether you passed this stage or not. You need to follow python's style guide to the letter and write idiomatic, commented python code, your scraper has to scrape ALL items with fewest requests possible and you are expected to use all scrapy features that are useful. The whole application process feels scripted and impersonal.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Scrapinghub in April 2016.

Interview

I received their interview invitation about one month after I applied online. There were two interviews. The first interview was HR screening with some general questions. The second interview was with the managers, who asking some not-too-detailed technical questions. The overall process was delightful and smooth.

I received an email saying I got the offer a few days later. I made a counterproposal asking more salary but also expressed my flexibility. And out of the blue, the HR said they have to withdraw my offer because they lost a client. The HR did apologize and promised me they will contact me once they have a new opening, which is a lie, as I was disappointed that they didn't tell me anything when they have a new opening on their website one month later. I wrote an email inquiring the job position, but no response since then.

Interview Questions

• How do you use Scrapy? What frameworks or tools will you use to build a system like x? Past work experience.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.