Rakuten Kobo Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Rakuten Kobo Interview Questions

2.9

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo in June 2014.

Interview

I got their attention only when a common friend with the data science team lead referred me. I think they have the online job postings just as a cover for pretending that they are an equal opportunity company. I am interested in the product of the company so I was following it and I applied to several positiones they opened in the last 2 years. They never responded to any of my 3 aoplications that I submitted online, even though I am quite sure my resume deserves at least a phone call.. Google called me without a referral.

The phone screen was technical but it was done by an HR person who had no idea what I was talking about. He made sure to inform me that he was following a script and that he is transcribing my answers so that an engineer reviews them. That was professional of him but very unprofessional of the company.

After the phone screen they sent me a programming exam which they requested to be returned withon 2 days. I had a busy schedule so I skipped sleep for one night and did the exam's programming tasks.. and I nailed them. I am not being pompous but the tasks were relatively easy, and I wrote the code with good structure and didn't do a dirty programming job which is typical for data science tasks. I am only stressing on how good my answers were because I am very frustrated that they never got back to me about it. I waited about 10 days then sent an email asking about the review, and I got an OOTO reply. I waited till the date the person indicated in their OOTO and sent a remider, and they promised a review by the end of the week. Two weeks later I sent a reminder and they responded that they cannot give feedback right now. Just a one liner! Very unprofessional, and it made me totally loose interest in the company.

Interview Questions

• What is a data structure used for recursion?   1 Answer

My experience during the interview process shows that the company is putting people last, and probably struggling under the weight of the Kindle.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toron-ni (South Korea)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toron-ni (South Korea)) in October 2018.

Interview

One of the worst sort of interviewing where two people just ask behavioural questions for 2 hours and reject a candidate without evaluating his technical skills. It seems they only want pre prepared answers not any technical skills for the job. More over it was an interrogation sort of interview with one way communication expected. What a waste of time and effort to apply to this company . Would not recommend this company to anyone.

Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied online, received a phone interview. They focused on the technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to use data mining to detect wrong record?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto (Australia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto (Australia)).

Interview

went through a recruiter, interview went well. not very formal interview. their building is really nice

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2015.

Interview

I had 3 rounds of interviews at Kobo with team members and hiring managers. The hiring managers explained about the role and asked me specific questions about their routines and how I would behave in specific situations.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Kobo? How do handle multiple projects? How do you prioritize projects? Have you worked in Global teams?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

First round was a brief phone call with HR. Then second interview was in-person with the manager.

The manager I interviewed with was not very nice, would interrupt me in the middle of my sentence, was not approachable. They did not even get back to me for three weeks until I basically begged HR to hear back. I found out through my status on "JobVite".

They finally replied days later saying they found someone else. I asked for any feedback, they did not respond. That was it. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Who are our competitors and how do you think we can overcome them? (ps: as interns, this is a little ambitious of a question to ask.. interns are there to learn from scratch)   Answer Question

22 Feb 2017 – Employee Experience Team

We’re sorry to hear that your interview experience wasn’t great – we very much appreciate the feedback and will be sure to continue to look at our processes, including hiring manager training, to... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2018.

Interview

Was called in for an interview, thought it went fairly well. The two interviewers were engaging and friendly and asked interesting questions. I was never contacted afterwards - pretty unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What kind of content do you interact with on a daily basis?   Answer Question

13 Feb 2018 – Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your interest in Kobo! Our standard process is to inform all candidates who did not make it past the interview stage via email. It appears we experienced a glitch in our system. We... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted to come in for an interview with two team members. The interview itself was fair and questions were actually quite interesting compared to the usual. I've been to plenty of interviews and thought this one went quite well. No complaints about the interview itself.

About a week later, I emailed to thank the interviewers and ask when I should expect to hear back and received a generic "we're still thinking about it" type answer with no time frame. I heard nothing after that point and my only indicator that the role was filled was the job posting being removed from their site on the start date of the position. No email, no automated "thanks anyways", just nothing. Not only is it unprofessional, but it affects your job search when you're trying to hold out for a position you're interested in.

Interview Questions

• Describe a feature you wish was included in an app you use on a regular basis.   Answer Question

16 Jan 2018 – Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your interest in Kobo! Our standard process is to inform all candidates who did not make it past the interview stage via email. It appears we experienced delays due to Christmas... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Very few pros, many cons.

An HR manager reached out to me within a week of submitting my resume via a phonecall. Although she was fairly scattered (she forgot to specify the time or with whom the interview was going to be - I had to ask before she hung up), the initial communication was pleasant; she seemed nice and open. To plan, I researched the company, the departments, industry, internship role, etc. and felt fairly confident in my knowledge going into the interview. The building itself was quite nice as well and had a cozy vibe.

The interview itself was a completely different story. From their end, the appeared completely unprofessional and unorganized. Three managers interviewed me (only one of them was an HR manager), and for a lack of better words - it felt like I was being interviewed by a group of frat boys. The three of them were more interested in sharing inside jokes and appearing "cool" than they were in the interview itself. It was CLEAR that they hadn't planned the questions in advance because they'd take awkward, long pauses to go "uh...um..." before coming up with a question that was completely left-field, random and unrelated to the one before. The manager who had initially contacted me wasn't as bad but the two others were rude and made no effort to make me feel comfortable either. They looked unbelievably bored and and kept chuckling in between answers when they'd share an inside joke that I was not privy to. I am making no exaggerations here, this actually happened. I guess there's a first for everything. I suppose managers forget that not only are they interviewing possible employees the process works two ways - I had no desire to work for them after the interview was over.

However, by far the most absurd part of it all was that during the interview - they didn't ask ONE question about me, my personality or my educational background. It was all about how much I knew about Kobo, the industry and the market trends. How does that make sense? While I was prepared for this, I thought an interview was about getting to know the potential employee, not how much the potential employee knows about the market. It was as if they were playing around with me, to see how much I knew until I was caught off guard. Another clear indicator that they had come into the interview completely unprepared and were winging it.

Very glad I didn't look back after leaving the interview. Not an environment I'm dying to work in, thanks. The company is clearly run by little boys (fun fact: HQ has no female representation) who were randomly promoted and then pumped with ego. VERY disappointed in Kobo's culture, was expecting different from a "hip, young and book-loving" organization. I would tell those interviewing for Kobo to be VERY CAUTIOUS. Those who interviewed me were condescending, to say the least.

Another word of warning, Kobos are becoming obsolete anyway. There is no way that Kobo will continue to outpace Kindle and other e-reader/tablet sales in the future (lack of R&D and growth ops.) and their loss of profit can be seen in the way that the company is falling apart. I had an insider view; this is a company that is struggling to stay relevant, as proven by profit margins and corporate culture itself.

Interview Questions

• The whole interview was unexpected. Probably the most unexpected thing was that they didn't ask questions about me. They were more interested in hearing what I knew about the company. Felt like Kobo is what they probably fantasize about in bed.   Answer Question

Business Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Kobo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with hr manager answering behaviral questions and several technical questions
    After a day, hr manager called and scheduled a time for 1st face interview. 1st interview with hiring manager and one teammate
    After two days, hr manager called and scheduled a time for 2nd interview. 2nd interview with VP and another teammate

Interview Questions

• What are the things you mostly like about the previous job?
      What are the things you mostly don't like about the previous job?
      What is your related experience of using some analytical tools?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.