Naughty Dog Programmer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Naughty Dog Programmer Interview Questions

Interviews at Naughty Dog

3.7

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naughty Dog.

Interview

Got a phone call from HR to set up a first round technical phone interview, saying I would only need a paper and a pen. During the phone interview, the interviewer was clearly rushing to finish as fast as possible. He dove into questions right away without much of an introduction. The HR recruiter estimated the call to last between 30-60 minutes. It lasted 15 minutes, since there was no pause and he was rushing for the answers. Overall it left me with a negative impression of this company, since they clearly wanted to get the interviews done as fast as possible.

I got another call from HR saying I passed the first round. She didn't sound happy and it was clear she didn't want to be bothered to schedule another interview. She said the same thing as before, "The interview will range from 45min-1hr. Have a paper and pen". When I got the second phone call, the interviewer again dove right into the questions. This was probably the worst interview I've had to date. After answering a few questions, I got stuck on a question about 3D math. The interviewer was clearly frustrated that I didn't know the answer, and tried to get me to go in the right direction. I could tell he was getting more impatient and I tried to guess how to approach it. After about a minute he abruptly interrupted and said "All right, that's all the questions I have for you". Keep in mind that this was only 8 minutes into the interview, so apparently he was so annoyed that I couldn't answer one question that he didn't want to waste his breath to ask me any other questions. Afterwards he hung up without even saying 'bye', so I was just left shocked that he was only willing to give me 8 unfriendly minutes of his time.

Overall, worst phone interviews I've had. I don't think I would ever recommend applying to this company, since the employees I've talked to have attitude issues and are extremely impatient. Good luck to anyone who still wants to work here, I'll put questions below since I definitely will not be applying again to this company. I would highly recommend reading others' reviews of this company since they appear to be behave very unprofessionally.

Interview Questions

• What is 2^8? Why is this number important?
    What is -2 in hex? (Literally just memorize, they don't care if you know how to calculate it)
    What is the dot product? How does this relate to angles? What is the cross product?
    Given two vectors, how can you tell what direction the normal is facing?
    Given a plane, how can you tell which side a point is on?
    What is the equation for a plane? (Ax + By + Cz + D = 0)
    Give this equation, what does A,B,C represent? How can you tell if a point lies on this plane?
    Do you know what a Quaternion is?
    Do you know what a HashMap is? How do you map a String/Object to a value?
    What is a virtual function?
    Given a point and a plane, how do you find the distance between the two?
    Given a point and a plane, how do you find a line that is parallel to the plane that passes through the point?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Naughty Dog

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Naughty Dog.

Interview

For me it was a 3 step process. First quick phone screen, longer more in depth second phone interview, and then an in person. Each phase was very math oriented with some general programming concepts mixed in. The recruiter moved me through the process very quickly.

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Naughty Dog.

Interview

The person in charge of setting up my interview sent me an e-mail looking for my availability over the next two weeks, They got back to me the next business and scheduled the interview for the very next day. The interview was what I would consider fairly standard given what the listing was asking for. The questions fell roughly into three categories basic algorithms, C++ understanding, and math. The interview itself took around 40 minutes and was fairly typical for a game programming interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the equation for a plane.   1 Answer
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.