Microsoft Marketing Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Microsoft Marketing Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.1

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Was one phone call with a director in product marketing. Completely behavioral questions, a lot of them were testing your marketing knowledge. Took extremely long to get back to me- that was probably the sign I didn’t make it to the next round.

Interview Questions

• What is a product or service that is being marketed well?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Applied online, got a phone screening with an entry-level marketing person a month after applying, got invited to interview on-site a month after the phone screen, got the results 4 days after the on-site interview.

The phone screen consisted of very typical questions - tell me about yourself, why Microsoft, and 4 behavioral questions about working in teams, solving conflicts, overcoming disagreements, etc.

The on-site interview consisted of 4 back-to-back 45 min interviews with various marketing leaders from all different levels, from entry-level marketing managers to senior marketing directors. You start off in a room with all the interview candidates for all the internship roles, and you get time to network with fellow interview candidates and a couple of full time employees. You then go through the 4 interviews in a row. Each interviewer was different, but most interviews were focused on behavioral questions. They asked a lot of questions about collaboration. I was also asked a lot about specific resume experiences. The marketing-related questions were fairly basic for the most part, but I did get some that threw me off. After the 4 interviews, you get treated to lunch and a brief campus tour, then you're free to go home. Microsoft pays for all your travel and gives you a generous budget for food, sightseeing, etc. Overall, the on-site interview experience was awesome!

Advice: read "Rise Above the Noise" by Lewis C. Lin. Read Microsoft's annual report and gain a deep understanding of their product line and where their products stand within the tech industry as a whole. Be educated on current events in the industry. Prepare a personal and unique answer for "Why Microsoft?" Start every marketing question by thinking about the consumer. Have examples prepared for every common behavioral question. Make sure your answers show that you align with Microsoft's culture and values. Emphasize teamwork and leadership abilities. Be conversational and don't sound like your answers are scripted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      Walk me through your resume.
      Tell me more about [experience on resume] and the impact you had there.
      Why Microsoft?
      What do you want to learn or gain from this internship?
      What kind of role are you interested in?
      Tell me about a time you worked on a collaborative project.
      Tell me about a time you faced a conflict and how you dealt with it.
      Tell me about a time you worked cross-functionally.
      Tell me about a project you worked on and what your role was in the project.
      Tell me about a time you had to get someone to do something they didn’t want to do.
      How do you juggle all your responsibilities in life?
      Tell me about a time you had to make a decision under pressure and time constraints.
      Can you teach me about something that I wouldn’t know?
      What would you do if your project was depending on someone else to complete their part but they weren’t completing it because they were too busy?
      What kind of leadership approach do you take when leading a project?
      Tell me about a time you had to work with someone who you didn’t agree with.
      Tell me about a time you worked with multiple stakeholders.
      Tell me about how you use data analytics in your internships.
      Tell me about a time you failed.
      What is it about Microsoft’s values that really resonates with you?
      Tell me about a time you let someone else down, like your supervisor.
      What are you excited to learn during your next few years at school?
      What’s your favorite Microsoft product and why? Ok, how would you market it to [random demographic]?
      What kind of approach do you take when developing a marketing strategy?
      How does data drive marketing?
      Which product should Microsoft discontinue and why?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

You will get a 30-minute phone call with a person you pick after your application is accepted. She asked a lot of Behavioral and technical questions to see how you would work in a group.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were in a co-group project?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had difficulties with a partner?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Didn’t have to go through first round. Superday, or the second and final round was a very long day. You’re either in the morning group or the afternoon group and you get interviewed by 3 people. They fly you out and give you some free things and take you to lunch. You get to know some of the other students interviewing.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2018.

Interview

First I applied, then a recruiter contacted on LinkedIn and then a first round of phone interview. The interviewer was from Washington and she did not ask me about my skills or the typical questions. She told me that she will start off with questions ( between 10-12) questions and at the end I can ask anything. All of the questions were about Microsoft products. She said that the recruiter that originally contacted me would reach out to me in 2-3 weeks. It only took 5 days to hear back from them.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Short, 30 minutes interview. Mainly behavioral questions, such as tell me about yourself, walk me through your resume or tell me about a time you faced a difficult situation. Interviewer was really laid back. In addition, was asked some short marketing mini cases.

Interview Questions

• What Microsoft products you love?
      How would you market X?   2 Answers

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft on campus, waiting to hear back about final interview round. They said we should hear back in one to two weeks from initial interview to be flown to the Redmond campus. Submitted my resume at on campus career fair and information session. Got a email in a couple of weeks for a 1 on 1 interview on campus. It was my first ever interview, but the interviewer was awesome. The interview went really smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Talk about yourself.
      Why Microsoft?   2 Answers

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

There was an on campus interview, followed by an on-site interview after a few weeks. The on-campus interview was 1:1, and about 30 minutes long. On site interview involved 4 rounds, with quite a few of the other groups of interns there. My guess based on the size of the program was that about 1/3 of the on-site interviewees ended up being hired for the internship.

Interview Questions

• Standard walk-me-through-your-resume, also asked for your favorite product and an explanation of why. Moreover, asked what your favorite Microsoft business unit was (or the one you were most interested in).   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Francisco, CA (US)) in May 2016.

Interview

Phone screen. The most unprofessional recruiter ever. We had a great discussion but they didn't care for my work samples after the call. I spent hours prepping for the call but they didn't have the decency to follow up with me either way. After this experience I'd never recommend this company to others.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, had an on campus interview that lasted 30 minutes. Very causal and nice environment. Half fit interview half marketing experience evaluation. They won't try to make you mess up, they want to see how you mentally approach each problem and see your thought process as you try to solve problems they present to you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a marketing campaign you like? One you don't like and why?
      Questions on some of their products
      If you had to divest one of their products which one would it be?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.