Microsoft MIcrosoft Explorer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Microsoft MIcrosoft Explorer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

2.7

Explore Microsoft Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in March 2009.

Interview

Got in touch with company recruiter through Microsoft website--very helpful, got the feeling that he wanted to see me succeed. Submitted resume and short essay, after which I was offered an interview on campus. Two, 30-minute interviews--one with a current employee (a program manager) and one with the recruiter. Very easy to talk to. Interview with current employee was pretty rough--wanted to see how you think and your decision making process. Interview with recruiter was more laid back--focused on soft skills, interests, etc. While i didn't get an offer, it was a very enjoyable experience which will benefit me in future interviews.

Interview Questions

• Devise a way to make sure there is always mlik in my fridge.   33 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Explore Microsoft Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in December 2010.

Interview

A former MS intern refered me to the college recruiter, she was so nice and we had a phone interview which took about 30 mins. She asked about my background and future plan, we had a great talk, although I was pretty nervous.

Explore Microsoft Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

First I went to a Microsoft interest meeting at my college and learned about the program and handed them my resume at the end of the presentation. About a week later they emailed me saying that they would like to interview me over the phone. The phone interview lasted around 30 minutes and it felt more like a friendly conversation than an intimidating interview. The rep asked me questions like "What's your favorite piece of software or hardware and why" "Explain to me how a computer works" "How would you test a water bottle" "How do you stay up to date with new technology" "Tell me about a coding project that you have worked on". After feeling it went well, I received another email about a week later telling me that they would like to fly me out to their main Redmond campus in Seattle, WA. They paid for the flight, a two night stay at the Westin, and for any other expenses like food and taxi travel. When I got there there was a dinner social where you got to meet other candidates and previous explorer interns who now work at Microsoft full time. The next day we were bussed out to the campus and ate lunch in their massive food court and then it was time for the interviews. There are three interviews, one that's more software development oriented, one that's more PM, and one that's more development and testing. The interviews are extremely laid-back. The interviewers are just trying to find out if you are a good fit at Microsoft and you are not competing with the other candidates. If you can just have a conversation with the interviewers, you will be fine. There were three whiteboard coding questions. One was to sort an array of integers. Another was to combine and sort two arrays into a single bigger array. Be sure to have a coding project to talk about, whether it's something you did at a previous internship or a personal coding project. You need to show them that you are extremely interested in technology. I received an email at the end of the same week saying that I got the position. Overall, it was an amazing experience, and even if I didn't get the internship position, I still learned a lot on my short trip to Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• You have a sorted array A length m and a sorted array B length n. Insert array elements in order into an array C with length m+n.   2 Answers

Explore Microsoft Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Microsoft came to our campus career fair. I gave the campus recruiters my resume and had a phone interview later that week. Interview questions cycled through software engineer, test, and PM roles. Three weeks later I had an in-person interview offer.

About a month later I was flown out to Washington for several in-person interviews. I was given an offer within a week. Definitely the best recruiting team I've seen. I enjoyed the whole process. They really go out of your way to make it a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Given an ascending sorted array of ints, write an algorithm to push all the duplicates to the back [1,2,2,4,5,5] --> [1,2,4,5,2,5]   2 Answers

Negotiation

Incredible offer for an intern, no need to negotiate.

Explore Microsoft Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2015.

Interview

Received an email in early fall to sign up for a phone interview in late September or early October. Phone interview wasn't technical except for a logic problem at the very end. It was mostly behavioral. Received an email within three weeks to sign up for on-site interviews in November or December.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with technology news and what topic interests you the most?   1 Answer

Explore Microsoft Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in December 2015.

Interview

I really enjoyed interviewing for the Explore Microsoft Internship! The process took about three months. First, I dropped off my resume at the Computer Science Career Fair at my university, and was contacted a few weeks later to do a quick phone interview. The phone interview was mostly behavioral and not too difficult. A few weeks after the phone interview, I was contacted to do an onsite interview at Microsoft in Redmond.

The trip to Washington took three days, and Microsoft paid for absolutely everything - my flight, my hotel, my taxi rides, a generous meal budget, and a tourism stipend. The first day was primarily travel, followed by an informal dinner on campus with other interview candidates. The second day I was scheduled to interview in the afternoon after lunch. I did three interviews in three hours. The first was technical (coding on the whiteboard), the second a mix of technical and behavioral, and the third behavioral. I heard from other candidates that the type interviews and questions asked varied a lot. On the third day, I had a little time to tour Seattle before I took a flight home.

A week after the interview, a recruiter called and offered me an internship. Their offer was quite generous, and I was happy to accept.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with current technology?   Answer Question
    • Describe a group project you worked on. How did you contribute, what went well, what would you change if you could, etc?   Answer Question
    • Find the middle node of a linked list.   Answer Question
    • Implement a postfix calculator.   Answer Question

Explore Microsoft Interview

Interview

Interview process consisted of a phone screen and onsite interview at their Redmond office. Phone screen was 1 hour long and was mainly behavioral plus a brainteaser question. Onsite interview consisted of 3 rounds of interviews, each with people from different Microsoft teams. I got two devs and one PM.

Interview Questions

• What is a device you use every day? Design a new feature for it.   Answer Question

Explore Microsoft Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

Interview

I know whoever reading this is probably nervous about your interview, and I tell you this: don't be. The only thing that's stopping you from doing well is yourself - and I know that that's super cliched, but it's true. Don't let your nerves get in the way, you're going to do fabulous!

Some info about me: I'm a sophomore at Stanford, a woman, and a soon-to-be CS major.

I applied online by submitting my resume. After a couple weeks of waiting, I decided to contact my recruiter and ask if he needed any more materials from me. He then scheduled a phone interview about a week later. The questions asked in the phone interview were mostly behavioral - tell me about yourself, why did you get into computer science, what is your favorite software/hardware project, what would you change about it, etc.

Then, I was sent an email the next morning telling me that I was invited for final round interviews in January. I was flown up to Seattle in January for a 3-day trip, all expenses paid. I went to a mixer with the recruiters and fellow interviewees on Monday and went back to my free room in the Westin (oh my god). I was assigned to the morning round of interviews and was driven to the Microsoft campus at 8:00 AM. I had three 1-hour interviews with fifteen minute breaks between. I spent the fifteen minute breaks eating free food and playing Halo 4 on the Xbox in the wait room.

I was incredibly, incredibly nervous. I had never done a technical interview before. My first interviewer was a super cool guy and I talked to him about my interests, projects on my resume, and etc before he asked me a technical question. My second interviewer and I basically became best friends. I had to design an app, explain what data structures I would use, and code up some algorithms. We spent a lot of time just talking about life and his experiences, however. My third interviewer asked me to implement an ArrayList, which took about 10 minutes to do, before we spent the rest of the time talking and hanging out - talking about Microsoft culture, what to expect as an intern, etc.

Honestly, if you can have a conversation with your interviewers and show how much you want to work there, you will be fine. The technical questions are not hard. I came into the interviews unbelievably nervous and came out super relaxed, with the emails of my interviewers in my pocket. They were such incredible people to talk to and the recruiting team was great. 100% couldn't have asked for a better experience for my first interview/recruiting process.

I flew back to school the next day. A couple of my friends who had come to interview at Redmond received word back before I did. About a week later I received an email telling me that it had taken a little longer to get back to me because my interviewers have decided to offer me an Software Development Internship rather than an Explore Microsoft one. What a plot twist.

Tl;dr: Don't worry. You're going to be fine. Brush up on your coding skills (I used Cracking the Coding Interview), practice your behavioral questions. Let them know how much you want to work there - and enjoy your 3 day stay in Seattle. Even if you don't get the job, you're going to learn so, so much.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe how you would implement an ArrayList (three ways), but discuss the drawbacks/efficiency of each.
      2. Implement atoi();
      3. Design your favorite app.   2 Answers

Negotiation

Unbelievable offer, no negotiations.

Explore Microsoft Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Applied online by sending my resume (didn't know that a representative came to my college). I first had a phone interview. Then I was invited to the second round interview in Seattle. The second round interview took half a day; I had three different interviews. They are tailored to the position you are interested in.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: how would you make an airport more efficient?
      Second round: Write a code that reverses a string   Answer Question

Explore Microsoft Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

I submitted an initial application.
    A few weeks later I was contacted for a phone interview.
    The phone interview was all behavioral and lasted 30 minutes.
    A few weeks after the phone interview, I was contacted for an in-person interview.
    Microsoft reimbursed me to commute to their nearest office.
    There were two in-person interviews. They were back-to-back and each one was 45 minutes.
    Each in-person interview was almost exclusively about my resume, except for one coding question in the middle of each interview.
    I was offered the position a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that compares two binary trees.   2 Answers
    • Given two sorted arrays, write a method that combines the two sorted arrays into a third array that is also sorted.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.