Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at Marks & Spencer

1,065 Interview Reviews

2.6

Section Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Online assessment, video interview then assessment centre, assessment centre is tough, there is an analysis on a store and you’ve to present how you would improve it. A delivering feedback part where you have a conversation with an underperforming colleague, and a proper interview.

I am still waiting for feedback over 2 months after the assessment despite the store manager running the assessment centre promising we would all
    Receive it. Pretty unprofessional if you ask me.

Interview Questions

• You’ll constantly be asked what you would do differently given what you know now, so be prepared to show what you’ve learned.   Answer Question

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England (UK)) in November 2019.

Interview

It was very relaxed. We were given a product they sell in store and given 10 mins to pitch to customers. Then we had a 1-2-1 interview. The lady asked a few general questions and was very easy going.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for M&S?   1 Answer
    • What would you do to increase sales?   1 Answer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrogate, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Harrogate, England (UK)) in November 2019.

Interview

Online questionnaire, up-selling task. Asked to look at a product and do a short presentation of up-selling it. interview with line manager. After offer given, 2 days induction with other people working in different departments.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Congleton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Congleton, England (UK)) in November 2019.

Interview

I applied online and completed some situational judgement tests before being offered an interview within a few hours of completing the tests. Before the end of the week I was booked on to attend an interview on the 1st of November. The online process is a fairly speedy one.

Upon arriving in store, I was seen into the back and met the store manager and other people who were to partake in the first half to the interview process (THE INTERVIEW STRUCTURE HAS RECENTLY CHANGED - STORES ARE BEGINNING TO CHANGE TO A GROUP PRESENTATION BECAUSE THERE IS TOO MUCH ADVICE ONLINE ABOUT THE PREVIOUS INDIVIDUAL ROLE PLAY). So all my prep went to waste. Instead, we were all given a product to 'sell' to one another and we were given 10 mins to prep a script to convince them, the target audience being other interviewees. You are given a sheet that describes the product and then loads of extra info, if there is a gluten-free/veggie option for example and info on other products and offers in-store e.g. what fruit and veg is currently in season, offers on alcohol and what stock the store is low on/when the next stock delivery is. I had to present spaghetti bolognese - basically the aim is to try and up-sell as much as possible.

We were then taken in to be interviewed 1:1 by the store manager and someone in HR, where they asked me several questions. As the store manager interviewed me, the lady from HR scored my responses. I was offered a job then and there, but unfortunately they did not have the hours I had originally applied for (I noticed this was not unusual for other applicants), so sadly I could not take the job. I did however have a really positive experience there, all the store assistants I met were lovely and the store manager and recruiter could not have put me more at ease, they were very chatty and friendly - it felt more like a conversation and that they weren't there to catch me out.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for M&S?   Answer Question
    • What do you think would be the most challenging aspect to this job and how would you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • How would you improve the M&S customer shopping experience?   Answer Question
    • What skills do you think you can bring to the job? Why are you an ideal candidate?   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveleys, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cleveleys, England (UK)) in November 2019.

Interview

It was were straight forward. The interview had 2 stages. Pitching a product to a another interviewer a person who was also trying to get the job and after that an individual interview. For the first part there was 2 interviewers and in the individual interview just one. Overall very simple process. They told me that they will let me know after 2 days as they still had other people coming for the interviews.

Interview Questions

• What would you change in our store to improve customer service?   Answer Question
    • What would be the biggest challenge working as customer assistant ?   Answer Question
    • What do you have that others candidates don’t have? Example experience, skills.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2019.

Interview

Easier than expected - included a few normal interview questions and a selling scenario, where you are basically provided the answers. I was initially interview by a section coordinator and then a manager also asked some questions - generally quite relaxed.

Interview Questions

• They ask questions related to their values, primarily revolving around the words innovation, inspiration, influential and integrity - i.e describe a time you have been innovative in the workplace.   Answer Question

Técnico y administrativo de RR. HH. Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in November 2019.

Interview

I was told the first part would be a selling exercise where you were given one sheet detailing the food product you were trying to sell to the 'customer' (interviewee) and another sheet with additional information and then there would be a series of interview questions to follow.
    However, I was supposed to be effectively presenting to a group of other interviewees while being assessed but I was the only one at the interview slot so I just presented to one of the M&S workers while the manager assessed.
    The item I was given was the wood fired margarita pizza and the first sheet of paper gave a small description of it and other info such as its salt/carb content (which I thought wasn't relevant to upselling the product). The other sheet detailed sparks offers, info such as buy a side salad for an extra £1 or add extra mozzerella and I mentioned everything relevant to the product - there was some useless info - they were clearly trying to see what you would pick out as relevant to selling the food product to the customer. I was given just under 10 mins to read through the info and take notes (do take notes because they take this sheet with them when marking). To me it was less of a role play exercise and more like a small presentation (I spent about 1-2 mins presenting) because the person playing the customer basically didn't talk back or ask any questions.
    They were very friendly and the manager assessing wasn't staring at me while I was presenting which took the pressure off a bit but remember to keep smiling anyway.
    Once they came back in the room they asked me how I thought that went and what could have gone better and were very understanding that this wasn't a very natural thing to do (speaking to customers in real life is a lot easier). The manager asked me a few standard interview questions for a retail job such as "why M&S", "what do you expect from M&S customer service", "name a time you worked well as a team", also one which stumped me a bit - "what could be better about M&S customer service" so you were to basically criticise them but they said this was kind of a trick question - I answered that it was good from my experience so don't have any criticisms.
    They then asked the standard availability questions etc (irrelevant to passing the interview) and then left the room to assess both aspects of the assessment. Once she came back in, she told me I had passed both part of the assessment (role play and interview) and offered me the job on the spot.

Christmas Temp Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hitchin, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Hitchin, England (UK)) in November 2019.

Interview

Online application, with online tests and customer service tests / questions all easy to answer. Few hours later I was told I was successful and asked book a time for an interview, (given a series of dates and times ) attended the interview a couple of days later and was offered the job at the time

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work for Marks and Spencer   1 Answer

Christmas Temp Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altrincham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Altrincham, England (UK)) in November 2019.

Interview

A group exercise was given to us. An envelope was given and inside was a product with information. We had 10 minutes to write notes and how to promote this item. If successful a further interview was given

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England (UK)).

Interview

They asked me a lot of technical questions, going from a virtual dataset. They wanted to know all the steps of how I would proceed with the dataset, in terms of classification.

Interview Questions

• They asked as well about Docker, SQL queries, Python etc   Answer Question