Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at Marks & Spencer

1,022 Interview Reviews

2.6

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Online application goes through to head office first. Walk around floor followed by styling activity to dress 2 mannequins in the clothes provided. Very few questions asked about me or my experience, mostly role based. The interviewer had not seen my CV before my interview so be sure to take on with you.

Interview Questions

• Describe the visual merchandising techniques used in this brand section of the store.   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rugby, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Rugby, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for the role with a cv and cover letter , got a call back a couple of days later inviting me for an interview. The interview lasted approx an hour 20 and was quite fun. Started off with basic generic questions then had a 1 hour styling activity where you have to style 3 outfits and a mannequin based around a story of your choice and explain your reasons after.

Interview Questions

• Who is one of your current style icons   1 Answer

Visual Stylist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Kingston, East of England, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

A friend was leaving the role and suggested that I contact her manager via email (I think usually vacancies appear on the M&S website).

I was called to the branch for a two and a half hour interview (30 minute introductory "chat", 1.5 hour styling which was assessed by the VM manager and section coordinator, 30 minute store tour with questions)

During the styling segment, I was asked to style 3 mannequins (2 women, 1 man) using a selection of clothes from a large rail of clothing and baskets of accessories. All had to be at the same event/doing the same thing, e.g. all going to a wedding, all going to Sunday brunch etc.

All seemed very casual. The styling section got a bit stressful as I ran out of time, but the two staff assessing were really nice and even allowed me an extra five minutes to get everything sorted.

Visual Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Leicester, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received an email a few days later inviting me to book in for an interview slot. Was advised in the email that the interview would be split into three sections lasting for one hour, a styling section, floor walk, then one to one chat. I was also told to dress in my own style and not typical interview clothing as it was a styling interview.

I arrived and was greeted by one of the visual merch managers, he took me up to a room where the main visual merch manager was waiting, I sat down with them and they talked me through what the process would be, they were really nice and said to not be nervous and they know how it feels to be in an interview etc etc.

They left me for 45 minutes to style two mannequins and an extra outfit that I laid out on the table. I had a choice of clothing on a rail which was mainly made up of lots of coats, jumpers and jeans (the clothing choices were pretty horrendous)

They came back and I talked them through my styling choices for the mannequins, they said they were really impressed with what I had done and then we moved on to the floor walk, I was asked to critique their window displays and then point out the differences between two different sections on womenswear, they asked quite misleading questions such as 'How would you dress that mannequin differently?' (Bit difficult to answer if you aren't given different clothing/accessory choices to dress it?) and seemed a bit stumped themselves, constantly asking each other if they had any more questions....

We then went back upstairs to the room and they asked questions about my experience and why I want to work for M&S. The whole process lasted about 1 hour 30 mins.

I felt the interview went really well and the interviewers were really nice. I was quite disheartened to receive an email a few days later from a 'no reply' account saying they wouldn't be taking my application any further, not even an opportunity to request feedback, a call to let me know would have been more appropriate.

Warehouse Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Donaghadee, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Donaghadee, Northern Ireland (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

First was an online test the usual most agree least agree type. After that was on line questions giving multi choice answers. If you pass those you get to pick an interview slot, then came face to face interview at store this lasted 2hrs 39 mins. First was a tour of store then a first interview followed by role play then second face to face interview. I was then told I had passed the process but as position I applied for had only one position and it had been filled. So they fill the post but continue to interview, tip choose first available date and time for interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and there were two tests online. One for my behaviour /personality and one as a situational test. I found out after completing the online tests that I had been succesful and I was asked (in the same day) to pick an interview time slot to attend. When I arrived in store for my interview, I was lead upstairs to wait for the manager and another member of staff to interview me. The first part of the interview is the roleplay. They give you 5 -10 minutes to prepare by reading over the booklet they provide you with. (You are allowed to take notes and keep them). I was asked in the roleplay for ingredients that are similar to butternut squash and I also asked what to recommend the "customer" for a vegetarian dinner party. After which, the member of staff pretending to be the customer will give you some feedback. If you are succesful with the roleplay, the manager will come in and ask you general questions about yourself and the company. Nothing too difficult! This part of the interview was more relaxed. Afterwards, if succesful, the manager will show you where you will be working and *may* introduce you to your fellow colleagues. The manager phoned me back within a few hours of leaving the interview to tell me that I had been succesful!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?, What do you know about Marks & Spencer?, Do you know about any of our core values?   1 Answer

Warehouse Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bromley, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Very basic, not many questions, just document check.

Interview Questions

• Online questions about customer care   1 Answer

Warehouse Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in April 2018.

Interview

Got there about 10 minutes earlier than when I was supposed to. Signed in and got a visitor pass and was led up to the staff waiting room. Talked to the staff in there for about 30 minutes before the warehouse manager came in and apologised for the wait. He led me to the interview room and we dropped my bag off and had a 2 minute chat. After he gave me the tour and explained the role to me. Then I had to do a small sorting task where I had to organise how I would stock different items onto 3 different cages. He left and came back 5 minutes later. I didn’t finish it but he said no one had. We went through it and I explained my choices then did some customer service role play, another worker came in to scribe it. After that we did some basic interview questions. He then explained some stuff about the position and said I’d hear back within the week. It took about 1 1/2 hours and it was quite a nice, relatively relaxed experience. Don’t know whether I got it but it was a positive experience overall.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

Really easy process - a short online form, followed by a telephone interview the following working day and an interview a couple of days later. I was told I got the job the same day, so it took exactly a week from submitting an application to actually confirming I'd gotten the job. Both the recruitment colleagues I dealt with were really lovely and down to earth as was the manager who interviewed me. After the interview had finished I got a tour of the building I'd be working in which was really nice!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had completed a piece of work and wished you had done something differently   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had met a difficult target   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about something that you like from another retail store (not M&S) that sets it apart in a the market   Answer Question
    • What does the brand of M&S mean to you?   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Interview

Invited to interview by recruitment consultant after having submitted a curriculum vitae to the recruitment consultant that I knew from a previous interaction. Attended interview in London, three person panel, 1 hour interview, tough questions.