LinkedIn Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 116 of over 2,137.0 interviews

Employee Referral15%
3.1
HardAverageEasy

LinkedIn

Application

I interviewed at LinkedIn in Aug 2021

Interview

My phone screen went well. The engineer that interviewed me was really engaged and asked good questions. My recruiter was helpful and nice too. But, my virtual onsite experience was not good... My interviewers asked me a hard question, but they were not engaged at all, and they were not supportive. I explained to them the right solution (I checked it after the interview), but they didn't express any positive emotions. Zero collaboration. They kept silent a lot. I always felt like I was doing something wrong. At this moment, I'm interviewing with other companies like Google and Amazon. And they interview so much better than Linkedin! They are much more supportive, they ask questions, give hints, and they smile. By the way, Linkedin say that humor and collaboration are the part of their culture. Based on my experience, this is not true. The engineers were not properly trained to interview people.

Interview Questions
  • leetcode hard questions in my case
    Answer Question
3 people found this interview helpful

LinkedIn

Application

I interviewed at LinkedIn

Interview

Usually two phases, telephonic interview, and on-site interview. telephonic is mostly on coding and problem solving on-site is mostly on coding, problem-solving, design. The onsite interviews typically have single or panel interviewers with coding questions in data structures( linked lists, trees, graphs, etc) followed by senior leaders quizzing you on management style, cultural fit, handling people, project execution, etc.

Interview Questions
  • Merge two sorted arrays in O(1) extra space using QuickSort partition
2 people found this interview helpful

LinkedIn

Application

I interviewed at LinkedIn

Interview

Applied online (no internal referral). After about one month, HR reached out. First is a phone screen round of 1-2 coding problems. Then there was the virtual on-site consist of 2 coding rounds, behavioural/project/design rounds. Decision was received one week after the on-site.

Interview Questions
  • First is a phone screen round of 1-2 coding problems. Then there was the virtual on-site consist of 2 coding rounds, behavioural/project/design rounds.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA) in Jun 2021

Interview

Two interviewers (software engineers) from two different groups hiring me for a different group. Asked me two algorithms/data structures questions (one medium one hard). Interview was interactive. They were friendly

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

LinkedIn

Application

I interviewed at LinkedIn

Interview

The interviewer started by introducing himself. Then it's my self-intro. Digged a little deeper to my personal experience for about 10 minutes. Then we started to do the problems, classic leetcode problems

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

LinkedIn

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in Feb 2021

Interview

I have never come across such demotivated, tired and negative interviewer in my life time. The interviewer didn't even ask/provide any intro, he jumper directly to problem solving and was least interested in answering my question at the end of the interview. I usually judge a company by it's employees and having interacted with that interviewer for an hour, I secretly hoped that I don't clear the interview. I was more that happy when I got to know later that I hadn't cleared the round. 1 month later I joined one of the US top tech giants at a much higher salary that Linkedin could have quoted + all my interviewers looked alive, motivated and connected and I am sure that I won't be bored to death(liked the Linkedin Interviewer) while going to work each day

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA) in Oct 2019

Interview

Initially I went through a phone screen technical where I performed coding tasks and displayed general technical knowledge. After being accepted after the phone interview I was invited for an onsite interview in San Francisco. It was surprising that I was needed to be sent there instead of interviewing at the local LinkedIn office. Overall it was an enlightening process of how this style of interview was done.

Interview Questions
  • During the in person interview I was asked how I would architect a rebuild of a URL shorting website.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carpinteria, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Carpinteria, CA) in Sep 2019

Interview

Office is ok. Interview process is a complete disaster. Not much care about people - they hire standard units for the army. And very against any remote work - felt like LinkedIn is stuck in old ages. I applied to a position of Senior SWE at Carpinteria office. They work on integrating the acquired lynda.com website. The life there is calm, developers are working on non-ambitious tasks like daily bugs. The campus is mostly for people who create educational courses, the tech team is small. Had a screening call in 2 weeks after the application, passed to the on-site interview. The process was slow, and the recruiters were on the edge of being unprofessional. The recruiter ignored the date/times for the calls I was providing, and when speaking just gave a fast-pacing burst of information, with a single aim to hang up ASAP. All the time they were pushing me to tell the list of other companies I'm interviewing with - lying that they knew the schedules, and it would help us to plan our process. This was clearly a BS, I didn't surrender my privacy. They also stress how much they care about people, but the reality (talks with their engineers, interviewing process) proved otherwise - will mention it below. They sent me a bunch of marketing emails - about a high honor to work at LinkedIn, how I must prepare to show all my algorithmic skills, how they value people, etc. I guess their phrase that "at lunch you will be assessed by your curiosity and questions" proves the aforementioned care about people - i.e. about the candidate coming for a whole day and trying to have a small break. However, as the organization was horrible, none of the SWEs knew about this assessment, and we just had a normal lunch. The only positive experience was when they sent me some docs to sign before the interview, and when I was unable to sign one of the improper items, they were flexible enough to skip it. The line was saying that I authorize LinkedIn to get any information about me from anybody on Earth, they don't have any responsibility to store it properly, and can use it for whatever purpose. Be aware of such nonsense, and do not sign it. The on-site interview consisted of 5 rounds + lunch, and it was a failure. The most funny part is that 4 of 5 ON-SITE interviews were done via VIDEO calls. Such visit didn't have any use for me - I didn't talk with the team. I could do it from home. But they call it an "on-site interview". The campus looks ok, though cubicles are dark. There's a basic lunch - merely something to make you to not leave the campus. The salaries are on a lower end, as Senior SWEs are unable to afford living nearby, but rather commute 40-60 miles daily. The hiring manager accidentally met me in the morning, but never came to talk and never visited the lunch. As said above - they hire units with some characteristics, not people. First round was a system design task. Bad organization: the whiteboard was located on the wall orthogonal to the camera, so my interviewer could see it very badly. I did this round well, though. Second round was an algorithmic coding task. Same struggle with the whiteboard at interviewer's side - I could hardly see anything - so it took a while to copy the drawing to a sheet of paper. One more LOL failure: they didn't even provide me a laptop to code. Had to boot mine, connect it, and then get to the URL the interviewer was using. This showed what kind of professionals work at LinkedIn! The task was about traversing a tree, I suggested a couple of solutions, and implemented the best one. Interviewer assumed I didn't know how to calculate ArrayList expansion amortization cost, but their quality of video conference (another failure) didn't allow us to continue that talk. Third round was an interview with a manager from New York - he was checking my culture and goals. The interview had no use for me, as he was not aware of the work here in Carpinteria. Just was telling me standard stuff how they care about people. He again pushed me to disclose the other companies I'm talking to. Fourth round was the only one with a local developer - whiteboard code for a segmentation/allocation task. This went ok, I suggested a number of alternatives, coded bit-mask format. Fifth round was for tech communication - had to whiteboard and explain a tech task to an engineer via a video call. The connection was bad, but I passed that. In a week the recruiter called to inform, that I didn't pass due to the first coding task. This was again a burst of the words read from his template with the immediate hang-up. I sent an email asking whether it's possible to re-check that result, because I completed everything and even in a shorter amount of time (remember their fiasco with laptop and whiteboard). But the response was never received. They care much about people, but they don't consider an ex-candidate to be a human. I guess I got everything I needed to know about LinkedIn.

Interview Questions
5 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 1 week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Boston, MA) in Sep 2019

Interview

Regular first round technical interview question. Most of the time was spent on talking through the problem as I was not able to come up with the best solution. Asked for a hint which the interviewer gave but unfortunately could not make much of it.

Interview Questions
  • Design stack with peek max and pop max functionality

LinkedIn

Application

I interviewed at LinkedIn

Interview

The interview was a call from recruiter followed by a technical phone interview from hiring manager projects, .net questions, oops concepts, solid , TDD , followed by : some technical coding question

Interview Questions
  • 1. find the kth largest element 2. min distance between 2 words in array of words > leetcode
Viewing 1 - 10 of 116 Interviews