LinkedIn Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

LinkedIn Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at LinkedIn

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carpinteria, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Carpinteria, CA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Office is ok. Interview process is a complete disaster. Not much care about people - they hire standard units for the army. And very against any remote work - felt like LinkedIn is stuck in old ages.

I applied to a position of Senior SWE at Carpinteria office. They work on integrating the acquired lynda.com website. The life there is calm, developers are working on non-ambitious tasks like daily bugs. The campus is mostly for people who create educational courses, the tech team is small.

Had a screening call in 2 weeks after the application, passed to the on-site interview. The process was slow, and the recruiters were on the edge of being unprofessional. The recruiter ignored the date/times for the calls I was providing, and when speaking just gave a fast-pacing burst of information, with a single aim to hang up ASAP. All the time they were pushing me to tell the list of other companies I'm interviewing with - lying that they knew the schedules, and it would help us to plan our process. This was clearly a BS, I didn't surrender my privacy.

They also stress how much they care about people, but the reality (talks with their engineers, interviewing process) proved otherwise - will mention it below.

They sent me a bunch of marketing emails - about a high honor to work at LinkedIn, how I must prepare to show all my algorithmic skills, how they value people, etc. I guess their phrase that "at lunch you will be assessed by your curiosity and questions" proves the aforementioned care about people - i.e. about the candidate coming for a whole day and trying to have a small break. However, as the organization was horrible, none of the SWEs knew about this assessment, and we just had a normal lunch.

The only positive experience was when they sent me some docs to sign before the interview, and when I was unable to sign one of the improper items, they were flexible enough to skip it. The line was saying that I authorize LinkedIn to get any information about me from anybody on Earth, they don't have any responsibility to store it properly, and can use it for whatever purpose. Be aware of such nonsense, and do not sign it.

The on-site interview consisted of 5 rounds + lunch, and it was a failure. The most funny part is that 4 of 5 ON-SITE interviews were done via VIDEO calls. Such visit didn't have any use for me - I didn't talk with the team. I could do it from home. But they call it an "on-site interview".

The campus looks ok, though cubicles are dark. There's a basic lunch - merely something to make you to not leave the campus. The salaries are on a lower end, as Senior SWEs are unable to afford living nearby, but rather commute 40-60 miles daily. The hiring manager accidentally met me in the morning, but never came to talk and never visited the lunch. As said above - they hire units with some characteristics, not people.

First round was a system design task. Bad organization: the whiteboard was located on the wall orthogonal to the camera, so my interviewer could see it very badly. I did this round well, though.

Second round was an algorithmic coding task. Same struggle with the whiteboard at interviewer's side - I could hardly see anything - so it took a while to copy the drawing to a sheet of paper. One more LOL failure: they didn't even provide me a laptop to code. Had to boot mine, connect it, and then get to the URL the interviewer was using. This showed what kind of professionals work at LinkedIn! The task was about traversing a tree, I suggested a couple of solutions, and implemented the best one. Interviewer assumed I didn't know how to calculate ArrayList expansion amortization cost, but their quality of video conference (another failure) didn't allow us to continue that talk.

Third round was an interview with a manager from New York - he was checking my culture and goals. The interview had no use for me, as he was not aware of the work here in Carpinteria. Just was telling me standard stuff how they care about people. He again pushed me to disclose the other companies I'm talking to.

Fourth round was the only one with a local developer - whiteboard code for a segmentation/allocation task. This went ok, I suggested a number of alternatives, coded bit-mask format.

Fifth round was for tech communication - had to whiteboard and explain a tech task to an engineer via a video call. The connection was bad, but I passed that.

In a week the recruiter called to inform, that I didn't pass due to the first coding task. This was again a burst of the words read from his template with the immediate hang-up. I sent an email asking whether it's possible to re-check that result, because I completed everything and even in a shorter amount of time (remember their fiasco with laptop and whiteboard). But the response was never received. They care much about people, but they don't consider an ex-candidate to be a human.

I guess I got everything I needed to know about LinkedIn.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Boston, MA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Regular first round technical interview question. Most of the time was spent on talking through the problem as I was not able to come up with the best solution. Asked for a hint which the interviewer gave but unfortunately could not make much of it.

Interview Questions

• Design stack with peek max and pop max functionality   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview was a call from recruiter
    followed by a technical phone interview from hiring manager
    projects, .net questions, oops concepts, solid , TDD ,
    some technical coding question

Interview Questions

• 1. find the kth largest element
      2. min distance between 2 words in array of words > leetcode   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

I expected too much of LinkedIn but was disappointed to see the interview process. Did a phone interview with two people and was called on site a month later. There are a total of 6 rounds on site. 1. Technical communication - where you talk about your project at work. 2. Algorithm coding 1- leetcode easy question. 3. Lunch chat - random discussion. 4. Algorithm coding 2 - basic string manipulation. 5 Host Leader interview - discuss your achievements. 6. System design. Overall my experience matches with pretty much every interview experience that I read on Glassdoor about LinkedIn. Even for a senior position few kids enter the interview room who do not have any experience and are in the company for not more than 4 months to a year. In an algorithm interview round the interviewer was himself not aware of the time complexity and was very rude. They don’t allow you to speak and you will only qualify if you produce a code that they have memorized. Really sad to see such an incompetency for someone who works at LinkedIn. The kids working at LinkedIn probably fear of their place being replaced in their company if they hire a senior engineer who has been producing an efficient production code for many years. Their overall process is flawed and I definitely would not want to work for such a company.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn in August 2019.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week.

I had a phone screen interview. The interviewer was a junior engineer, he gave me two coding problems.
    When I was explaining the solution before coding he doesn't give me any feedback. I was just to be talking with a wall.
    I have completed the problems with a working solution on time. Both solutions worked correctly and have good time complexity.
    When I had to explain the code he seems to not understand simple conditions and recursions.
    He didn't give me any feedback on any solution.

After the interview I have checked my code and run some test, both problems were resolved correctly. :)

Next day I received an email that I will not continue with the process.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

Had a phone screen with a recruiter who set up a technical phone screen 2 weeks later. The technical interviewer was definitely not prepared and was looking for just ONE solution that he probably had memorized. He said he'd have to look at my solution offline and went on to the next question(hard). The communication skills of the interviewer was very poor and we went back and forth on the same issue. Something like '"Me: You said you want to build a black car?". "Interviewer: No, I want Firestone tires that are snow proof". "Me: Yeah you'd need tires on your car but what about the paint?". "Interviewer: Yes, you're right. It should be a gasoline car and not electric". What!!

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Portland, OR (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

I got contacted by a recruiter from LinkedId through this same network. She offered to apply to a position to work at Sunnyvale, California.

Got phone screening lasting 30 minutes, just to getting know each other. After confirming my interest in moving forward, I got scheduled one week later for a technical remote test.

This second interview was remotely using a zoom link. I was contacted by a Senior Software Engineer from the team they were looking to recruit. We had a brief introduction and continue to do the test which I was presented an embedded IDE web page to solve the interview question in 1 hour and a half.

Unfortunately, I didn't pass it due to a lack of training in algorithms and data structures. In fact, it was easier. The next step would be an on-site interview to do whiteboards and design system problems but I didn't continue with the process.

The recruiter was always in touch with me and she gave me useful feedback, encouraging me to try after one year and prepare. This definitely was a nice experience although I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Given 2 sorted arrays of primitive ints, define the methods for having the intersection and union for both.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

I got contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin. Even though I do not consider myself as a senior, I decided to start the process.
    I had a phone screen, 1 easy coding problem, 1 medium coding problem that I was not able to optimize.
    I didn't pass to the next steps.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

Phone screen interview. It was as I expected it to be with minimal to no interaction with the interviewer during the coding questions. You would have to be really good figuring out optimal solution in given time or solved the question before hand. I was given a problem that required using a modified version of binary search. I was able to explain my approach but got caught up in the implementation part. The 2nd problem was easier since its on leetcode. Altho it was optimal and the code format was easy to follow, the feedback on the formatting was not good. I thought that's unfair. Another problem I had was I gave explanations to approaches for my solutions before and after coding. The feedback said I didn't communicate while coding. Not sure what the standard was for commination. It felt like I could say the same about the interviewer's communication.

Interview Questions

• 1) given list is sorted characters and given input character, get the character if present and if not get the closest character in the array that appears before it alphabetically.
      2) shortest word distance 2 in leetcode.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

Interviewing for frontend position. 1 phone screen, then on-site. Was a pretty pleasant experience, just didn't bring my A game. Phone screen was pretty easy. Then onsite was 3 technical rounds, one was a little annoying with how the interviewer pushed me towards a solution that wasn't my own, but apparently, I had good feedback from that round. 1 system design, 1 behavioral/system design, and 1 behavioral. I flopped on the system design question and I was encouraged to reapply in a year. Disappointed with how I performed, but it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• 2 leetcode easy, 1 leetcode hard, 1 frontend architecture question with html/css/js   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.