LinkedIn Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

LinkedIn Interview Questions

Interviews at LinkedIn

1,846 Interview Reviews

Programmer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

On-site with 5 different people within the team I'll be working with. It went pretty fast, 30 mins per person. Showed me around the floor and gave me some snacks.

Interview Questions

• Why are you a good fit for this role we're looking to hire?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Phone screen, four initial rounds and a final onsite with Exec team. Interviewers were very friendly and approachable. Prepare by sharpening your product sense skills. Questions were relevant to previous experience and what a typical PM would do on the job.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

LinkedIn reached out to me about a possible role in their organization. (Note: I did not apply for a position, they proactively contacted me.) The entire process was unprofessional and disjointed. LinkedIn missed multiple scheduled interviews and commitments with me. The excuses for the missed meetings were not believable. Then lastly, being completely ghosted by them.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your sales experience.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

LinkedIn has been a pretty painful interviewing process purely due to the recruiting team.

The process itself is pretty straight forward.

HR Screen
    Product Manager call
    Interview panel for 5 interviewers

In between each step, the recruiter I worked with took two weeks with radio silence to respond. Even when checking in and nudging, it's been a really disappointing process to not get feedback or updates. I did the final loop three weeks ago and haven't gotten a rejection yet. It's sad that a company whose mission is to help people's professional lives drops the ball on treating applicants like people.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product? How would you improve it? Why hasn't the company done so already?   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

Fairly standard interview process for these types of companies. An initial screening, followed by two rounds of phone interviews, and finally an on-site interview. The on-site interview had to be swapped for a virtual interview due to COVID-19.

PROS:
    - The coding portions of the interview were all relevant to the job. They were not just toy examples.
    - The turnaround time after each interview was extremely quick
    - Most people were easy to talk to, which made each interview feel relatively quick
    - You set your own pace for the interview rounds. Some of my rounds were over a month apart.
    - The recruiters ask for your feedback to them after each round
    - The interviews were actually easier than I thought they'd be, except the last round I wasn't given as much guidance on what to study as the first two rounds, so I spent time on useless info.

CONS:
    - The interview questions were more like a shotgun blast across a wide range of topics rather than focusing on anything in particular. It went from as low level as how/when shared libraries are loaded when starting an application to as high-level as designing video streaming service.
    - Before the final round, you are handed off to a different recruiter
    - Based on browsing this site, they seem to use the same questions for each candidate. It makes me feel like they are just a cog in the wheel with no real input to the process. With nothing being tailored to the candidate, it feels like they don't actually care about your strengths and weaknesses outside of their own perceptions.
    - The interviewers do not look at your own LinkedIn profile or resume until they are in the process of interviewing you. Therefore their questions against your background are either stock or ad-lib. There is little to suggest most interviewers care about your history or interests.
    - They count on their name a little too much to persuade you that its worth taking a hit to your salary and/or quality of living. Especially if you are relocating from a more affordable area. The benefits are not substantially different from my current employer.
    - Some disconnect between recruiters and interviewers, which is pretty common. For example, I repeatedly said this would be a change in both domain and roles for me, and I wasn't sure I'd be a good fit, even though I was interested and more than willing to learn. I do have extensive experience other tech domains. I was assured that there would be an extensive training process for the role, and the experience, while important, didn't matter quite as much as the ability and interest to learn the job. The feedback I received after the final interview indicated that experience was in fact one reason I didn't get the job; they wanted someone who could hit the ground running, even though the position was being held open indefinitely and there would be a training period after hire.
    - Feedback was almost non-existent after the last interview. Whereas I talked directly with the recruiter after every other round, the last round feedback was left as a voicemail. They did not solicit my feedback.

TIP: Go through the second Google SRE book, the workbook.

Interview Questions

• How do make a variable in a shell script available after the script exits (assume the shell script was sourced)?   Answer Question
    • How do you change the priority of a running process?   1 Answer
    • Coding test: Parse a (syslog) file to get various fields from the logs and message counts. Associate counts with the processes that logged them.   Answer Question
    • Describe how SSH works.   Answer Question
    • Describe how curl works. What happens when you call the command? Describe the process of loading libraries, parsing arguments, DNS resolution, etc.   Answer Question
    • You have Gigabytes of data that needs to periodically be synced from a producer to a large number of consumers. How do you approach it? Hint: the data set isn't necessarily entirely new each time it needs to be synced, so only sync the data that has changed.   Answer Question
    • You take over a new service and discover it has no monitoring. What monitoring would you put in place within the first week to ensure the service is working? Within the first month? How do you monitor failures which are local to a region?   Answer Question
    • You will be asked to role play a scenario where the number of registrations for a service has dropped to 0 for the past 6 or so hours, setting off an alert. You will have to go through an incident response and elevation. You will be asked to write simple reports that are suitable for giving high-level status to a manager.   Answer Question
    • You will be shown several architecture diagrams and asked various questions, like "what happens when database X goes down?", or "How to speed up requests from service Y?". Caching plays a big role in almost all responses.   Answer Question
    • You will be asked to do live troubleshooting of an Apache (httpd) web service. You will not be given many details by the recruiter, so it's easy to study the wrong thing here. It ended up that you need to be familiar with the httpd config file and Aliases. You need to be familiar with how to change Linux filesystem permissions, but you can ignore that you are running on RedHat and you won't need to touch SELinux permissions. Be careful of one problem where they will have two nearly-identical file names, except one has a hypen and the other Unicode dash character. They look very similar in many fonts. Make sure you know how to do a simple GDB backtrace. You will be asked to debug a segfault and work around it (via simple file rename).   Answer Question
    • You will have to perform a code review of several pieces of code. Focus on logic errors, not stylistic issues. I don't remember all the code samples, but one was about doing file backups, where they manually implemented extension parsing and copied over ".1" files to ".2", etc. without ensuring the order of the copy.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in March 2020.

Interview

Phone screen with Recruiter to assess general fit with company and level. Though a positive experienced, they did not think the fit (level of experience vs role) was good.

Sales Strategy and Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (New York, NY (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn. Received contact from recruiter for 30 minute call. All behavioral questions.

Next step was online technical Excel and SQL test. I had one hour to complete. It was not live (somebody did not watch you while you did it). Was not too difficult if you are used to using pivot tables and can run simple SQL queries.

Then had video call with hiring manager. All behavioral.

Final step was on-site with 4 people. 3 behavioral and one case. Case was not a typical consulting case and was more like brainstorming.

Received a call two days later that I did not get the position. I felt the rejection reason was a bit weak considering I passed in all other areas and they knew my background before going through all the rounds. Maybe the other candidate was just better.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

The whole process was actually really organized and thoughtful until the end.
    After two phone screens, on site with four pm’s that I thought went well, I never heard back from anyone , despite them saying they would expedite as I had another offer.
    I had higher expectations from LinkedIn.
    The people I met were very kind but I’m disappointed in the lack of professionalism once they decided I wasn’t a fit. For a company that has a mission to help people grow in their careers and economic impact... I felt it was extra disappointing and really made me question the authenticity of their culture.

Interview Questions

• How would you design furniture for Airbnb?   1 Answer

Global Sales Interview

Interview

I had an exceptionally positive interviewing process. My recruiter went above and beyond to ensure that our conversations were thoughtful and honest, yet engaging and relaxed. She ALWAYS started off conversations with quick ice breakers about her day, and it certainly made for a more authentic experience. I am grateful for that.

Beyond the overwhelming kindness and consideration, I felt the interview process was very fair and well structured. As an intern, it's likely you will not have to leave school to interview in person. My process consisted of an initial phone screening before the winter break. My recruiter made it very clear when we would speak next, and even scheduled a reminder appointment so that I could effectively prepare (a big kudos to LinkedIn for taking that extra step of communication).

Second round, I had a video interview with a manager. Again -- very thoughtful, engaging, and practical.

The final round was another video interview with a sales director. Pretty much the same as above, but there was a mock sales pitch. Definitely a great way to practice and hone in on important sales skills, and I received immediate feedback.

Overall, everyone was utterly sweet and supportive throughout the journey!

Interview Questions

• Why LinkedIn?
      Tell me about a time where you adapted to a new situation.
      Tell me a time you made a mistake.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn in February 2020.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me with a fifteen minutes phone screen by checking for my background. Then arranged a coding test the following week. I thought I did OK, but they did not arrange onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Two engineers gave me a coding test on CoderPad. They asked me about the recent tasks of my job, and gave me an array calculation question   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.