Kainos Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Kainos Interview Questions

Interviews at Kainos

3.1

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Kainos (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Fairly straight forward. Telephone interview, in-person interview, informal chat.

All the questions that could be expected for this kind of position (previous experience, ability to network etc).

It was very helpful to be seen to be knowledgeable about the company and I was aware that they were looking for a cultural fit over skills/experience.

Interview Questions

• I have always hated the 'what aren't you good at' kind of question.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Short and successful

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kainos (Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Relatively straight forward, attended a recruitment day which consisted of several tasks. I was constantly kept up to date with my application. The recruitment day consisted of a group activity, technical interview, and an aptitude test.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time you used innovation to solve a problem   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kainos in October 2016.

Interview

Very smooth & professional interview process. It didn't feel like an interview where the hiring company is looking for your mistakes, it felt more like a professional conversation, dialogue regarding possible work-related scenarios, etc.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you knew that you don't have the capacity to handle all your assignments?   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kainos (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

I had 2 Interviews with several people in a room. No project requested to be prepared or presented, but came as a surprise at the start of the interview, leaving time to work on it and present to the interviewes

Interview Questions

• If I am willing to travel 90% of the time   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Kainos in April 2016.

Interview

laid back and an informal, 1 interview and then offer. Arrived early as the building was hard to find and then got settled. The people who conducted the interview where very friendly and nice during the process.

Interview Questions

• What is object orientated programming and the concepts of this   Answer Question

Graduate Trainee Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Kainos (Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

There was an initial skills test which I think I skipped as I'm on a PhD program and this particular role was open to candidates graduating with an undergraduate degree. I was invited to a 2-on-1 interview, and told beforehand that I should prepare a 15 minutes presentation on something data science related, with 5 minutes for questions afterwards. Following this there was a ~1 hour interview. Included in the interview were standard "What do you know about the company", "What does a data scientist do all day?", "Tell us about a time when...", before moving onto more questions based around how one thinks (for example the typical how many piano tuners in NYC), a short programming challenge in pseudo-code and finally a multiple-choice stats quiz. Finally, some feedback from both sides for each other and then the chance to ask some questions of my interviewers. I felt the information beforehand allowed me to prepare adequately, (apart from not being made aware of the stats quiz), and it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience! Was a bit surprised that they interviewers couldn't answer the question of how much the starting salary was, though.

Interview Questions

• How many TVs are there in Belfast?   1 Answer

Infrastructure Services Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Kainos (Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)).

Interview

When I joined Kainos I had applied for several roles within different companies. Some of the interviews carried out by other companies felt more like an integration where-as Kainos' interview was more of a friendly chat. There were structured questions that they asked all candidates to ensure everyone has a chance to discuss the same topics, however it was more a getting to know you exercise. This experience really made me appreciate that interviews are a two way street. It is as much your opportunity to decide whether you want to work for that company as it is their chance to decide whether you would be the best candidate for the job.

Interview Questions

• Technical trouble-shooting scenario such as steps you might go through to troubleshoot performance issues when accessing a web based application.   Answer Question

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kainos (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via a friend referral who works as a senior solution designer for a reputed telecommunications company. Invited for 1 hour F2F interview with the hiring manager at the London office to evaluate my interpersonal skills. Travelled to their Reading office for 1 hr F2F interview with one of the Technical Architect. Invited for 1 hr F2F interview with the CTO digital which took an extreme technical bent. Recruitment agent was polite, and was very helpful throughout the process. The hiring manager had faith in my talent, and really wanted to see me part of this great team. Technical architect was a polite person, and was really impressed with my technical and situation handling capabilities. CTO had very high expectations and was interested to assess my technical capabilities, and asked me to draw designs from previous project. Also, he seemed to be extremely busy screening candidates, and did not smile not even once throughout an hour long screening. A week later the hiring manager personally called me to share constructive feedback, and wished me good luck. The CTO was looking for a full stack technical architect whereas my expertise is on backend technologies, and I believe this was not clear to the agency until the CTO rejected my application at the final round. It was a great experience all together except the smile, as I believe a smile goes a long way. A very good team, and their recruitment process seems to enable them build the right team for the challenging greenfield projects that they are dealing with.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions, technology evaluation strategy, scenario handling, design from previous project.   1 Answer

Kainos Response

13 Mar 2015 – Managing Director

Thanks a lot for posting this feedback. It made me smile, which is clearly more than my colleague did during the interview process! And I agree, a smile is little to ask for, and great to receive - and I bet he will be smiling in the future. I'm pleased to see that you rated the difficulty of the interview as 'average'. In 2014 we conducted over 2,200 interviews for experienced staff (and made 141 offers) - and key to our approach is to find out how much a candidate knows (as opposed to proving what they don't know). Hence we spend time asking questions about what you know - which will make the interview feel an easier experience. Finally, I hope that you will consider Kainos in the future. (I've just seen a photo of the CTO presenting at a recruitment event last night. Under his name he had the descriptor 'The Unsmiling CTO'. He's not only good at his job, he's got a good sense of humour as well!). Brendan

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gdańsk (Poland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Kainos (Gdańsk (Poland)) in December 2014.

Interview

A Skype interview.
    Two engineers and one HR lady on the Kainos side.
    Took around one and a half hour.
    There were a lot of questions about different aspects of Java and software engineering in general.
    Lot of stuff, but nothing extraordinary. If you have at least 2-3 years of practice you should pass
    Don't worry if you don;t know all the answers - no one knows everything.

Interview Questions

• - design patterns
      - good practices/testing/quality
      - soa/soap/rest/micro services
      - estimates/scrum etc...
      - Java standards/threads/collections/patterns
      - Java GC/stack   Answer Question

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Kainos (Dublin, Co. Dublin) in September 2014.

Interview

I was approached by a recruiter when I had applied for a different job, and he suggested that Kainos might be interested - there was no advertised role. First there was a half hour technical phone screening, followed by a face to face interview with one technical person and one manager that lasted about an hour. There were not tests, and no presentation - it was just a standard Q&A / discussion. The technical content of the face to face was minimal, they were more looking for adaptable people who would be good in front of the customer than specific skills.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a customer meeting where the customer is objecting to the proposed solution from a technical perspective when you know the solution is the right one?   Answer Question