IMDb Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at IMDb

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMDb (Seattle, WA (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

I went through a campus recruitment event, so there were only two rounds involved: 1) a 30-min technical phone screen and 2) a 4-round onsite interview.

I was given an easy-level question during phone screen by the interviewer who was very nice and willing to communicate, so onsite was expected.

The onsite interview was well structured: 3 rounds technical interviews with some behavior questions, and 1 round pure behavior interview. I think the questions were mid-level. Most interviewers were very helpful in term of guiding me to the right direction.

I was quite impressed by this experience considering IMDb is actually part of Amazon, and I have read so many negative reviews about Amazon's interviews. The technical recruiter worked very hard to schedule interviews with a time constrain, and made sure we were all prepared for our onsites by setting up multiple call sessions. The only thing I would complain is morning session interviews were quite early, so really hard for people who have a long commute. Overall, I think IMDb is a great team within Amazon.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte C H, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IMDb (Charlotte C H, VA (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

First round of interview was a coding challenge. The recruiter sent a link to a challenge in Hackerrank with 4 questions.
    Once this round is cleared, there would be another technical interview and a face-to-face interview at the company location

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were chalenges from Hackerrank. Medium Level Difficulty.   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at IMDb (Santa Monica, CA (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

Responded to an e-mail from a recruiter with an a potential invitation to a hiring event. After communicating via email a phone screening was scheduled. After talking on the phone, the recruiter then sent a link to a Hackerrank coding challenge. After successfully completing the coding challenge a face-to-face interview would be scheduled.

Interview Questions

• There was a two part question in Hackerrank with a medium difficulty level. The first part was a coding exercise and the second part was describing the complexities of the solution that was used.   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMDb.

Interview

HR call
    Online coding test
    On site interview 5 rounds-1 will be tougher than the rest
    Answer is given relatively quickly
    You will be taken out for lunch in the middle

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IMDb (Seattle, WA (US)) in July 2017.

Interview

There were two phone screens, one with the hiring manager and another with member on team. This was followed by five on-site interviews (45 minutes to an hour each) with various leaders across the company.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions about how I deal with different situations (based on Amazon leadership principles).   1 Answer

Design Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IMDb (Seattle, WA (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

After an initial phone screen and technical chat, I was flown to Seattle to participate in a 5-person one-after-the-other interview set. IMDb is an Amazon company and so most questions, maybe 80%, were experiential in nature: 'Tell me about a time when...", specifically targeting Amazon' Core Values or Principles of Leadership. Around 15% of the remaining time was spent going over, in some detail, previous projects, and the last 5% was for one very simple technical question.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you championed something different from the status quo.
      Tell me about a time when you enacted significant change to an organization.
      Tell me about the most complex thing you have ever done.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at IMDb (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Probably the most unprofessional and disorganized interview process I have ever experienced. The recruiter I dealt with seemed lost and overwhelmed, her phone demeanor was condescending and lacked professionalism. After my first phone interview, we set another phone interview for the next day, but no one called at the agreed time. I then got a message asking if I had received a meeting invite for the call that day (which I hadn't). Regardless of the missing invite, which never arrived, the recruiter didn't confirm via email, and no one actually called. When I called her out on her mistake, she said someone else more junior to her usually handles scheduling interviews. She then passed me to another recruiter who sent me an email with spelling mistakes. Just felt like I was dealing with 7th graders, not professionals. The whole experience was unpolished, disorganized and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• The first interview was really weird, she was basically trying to coach me on what to say during the next interview. She then said "if there is anything in the job description you don't have experience with, you need to be up front about that". It was insulting, particularly considering I have 10 years of experience and was EXCEPTIONALLY qualified for the position.   Answer Question

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IMDb in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process is highly drawn out with a heavy emphasis on behavioural questioning. Process is followed for the sake of it leaving very little room for interviews to be focused on the actual candidate rather than just running through a list of behavioural questions. For all that Amazon shouts about its leadership principles, I saw very little evidence of them following them themselves during the interview process. Overall the interview process consumed about a solid working week of effort from me, plus two days holiday. I was only asked about myself, my background and the company I work for once right at the start of the 3 month interview process. Nobody related their questioning to the unique environment that candidates come from. Nobody validated their assumptions about a candidate. Oddly the interview process actually felt rushed which is crazy for something so long-winded.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you used data to inform a design decision   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that data disproved a design decision   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you defended a design decision when all of the team disagreed with you   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IMDb (Bristol, England (UK)).

Interview

Started with a chat with the recruiter, then a phone interview that had half an hour behavioural questions and another half hour with a simple technical question. After a week I received an email with an invite to interview at their Bristol office. I had 5 interviews with 8 different people. The questions were similar to the phone interview but a bit more complex technically. Unfortunately IMDb has 0 women working as SDE. That to me came to be a huge red flag because there's simply no excuse to have over 50 developers and not be able to find one single good woman to work there. In the end I didn't receive an offer, but I was told that I did well in many of the sections, however the interviewers felt like they need to help me a lot and I felt the occasional manterrupting. Recruiter said I should feel encouraged to try again in 10 months, but that to me just shows how bad their process is. Going through all of this huge hassle and they still can't tell the people that have potential to be good employees? Because honestly, there's no way of making sure you're hiring the best based on one day of interview. You can only ever see the potential of a person and that doesn't really change in 10months to be honest.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at IMDb (Bristol, England (UK)).

Interview

The process started with an online coding assignment then I was given a face to face interview. The face to face interview day involved five 1 hour interviews.

As mentioned in previous comments there is a heavy emphasis on behavioural questioning. These questions feel very scripted with little attempt to get any insights into me and how I work. After the behavioural questions there is a short coding assignment at the end of each 1 hour slot but due to the lack of time available they feel insubstantial. And if you don't produce their ideal solution straight away then there isn't time to discuss and improve it. So you're left with no idea about whether you did well or not.

I'm sure everyone they hire is of a very high quality but they must also miss out on hiring lots of potentially excellent employees due to such an inefficient process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with a decision but then fell into line?   Answer Question
    • Write a program to search through a list of actors in O(1) time   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.