IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at IBM

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Pittsburgh, PA (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

I was first contacted via email, telling me I passed the initial resume screening. The first round was a recorded interview, meaning you weren't talking to an interviewer. The first round had behavioral and technical questions. Behavioral questions were mostly pretty general and not hard to answer, however there was a question "Tell me a new technology that you are learning right now outside of school and describe it", that kind of threw me off. There were 3 coding questions too. After I got past the first round, I had a live online interview. This one was much easier, as it is just treated almost like an informal chat (going through resume, talking about my experience, answering my questions) and also with much easier coding questions. I thought I messed up the behavioral part on the first one real bad, but did pretty good on the coding part, so don't beat yourself up if you stutter a little bit or run out of interesting things you can say. As long as you present yourself through your code, you should be fine.

Interview Questions

• (1st round)
    Given a string, newline separated input of a sales inventory (ex.
    2018-6-19, apple
    2018-6-10, pear
    2018-6-19, apple
    """
    print out a condensed, chronologically ordered inventory
    2018-6-10, pear,1
    2018-6-19, apple,2
    """   1 Answer
  • Given a randomly ordered list of numbers 1...10000, with a number missing. Find the missing number. (ex. input [9459,1349,5348,69,1,299,...])   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

You take an initial technical screening online with any programming language you want to use. The initial screening has video response questions that you upload and send them. The process took about 3 hours for me. It was very difficult.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM (Cambridge, MA (US)).

Interview

Questioned by a panel of software engineers. Each interviewer asked a couple of question however, because I was on speaker I couldn't hear some of the technical questions I answered the questions incorrectly. It was not a great experience.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

First, you have to take a hirevue coding challenge. Includes three programming questions and five general questions. For the five general questions, you have to submit video responses.

Then, you have a one hour technical interview with another person via hirevue again but you actually see them.

Interview Questions

• Given an array and a target number, T, print out all the pairs in the array that add up to T without printing duplicates. Duplicate: (5,6)=(6,5)   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (San Jose, CA (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

No Phone Screen.
    Direct Offsite.
    Interviewed by 5 engineers and a manger.
    Linked Lists, Data structs and Algos.
    Multiple coding and networking were asked of me and one of the interviewer was not listening to any of the answers which was strange as she was more involved in disproving what I was saying. Weird.
    Apart from that the process was smooth.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in February 2018.

Interview

Was given an automated Hirevue interview in which I was asked 4 technical questions to answer verbally and gave 3 short coding challenges. Allowed use of IDE to complete the challenges.

Interview Questions

• Explain the events when a url is entered into a browser start to finish   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Houston, TX (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

Received an email to set up the technical interview and was guided to an online IDE where they explain a programming problem and watch me code it. They add steps over and help you throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Given a string of repeated characters, the task is to rearrange characters in a string such that no two adjacent characters are same.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in February 2018.

Interview

it is wonderful experience,i has initial phone screen and 1 hour technical interview and final team match interview, the whole process is tired but we discussed a lot. Finally I got offer from Austin site.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM in February 2018.

Interview

Straightforward. There were no curveballs in the process - if you know your stuff, you should be good. A bit long, but it's to be expected from a company the size of IBM.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethlehem, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Bethlehem, PA (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

There are a video interview and a coding challenge. For the video interview, you have 30 seconds to think about the question and then you have ~2 min to answer and it's being videotaped through a website they provided. For the coding, I think you have ~40 min for each question.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.