IBM IT Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

IBM IT Specialist Interview Questions

Interviews at IBM

2.8

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in March 2016.

Interview

My interview process was easier than expected.

The first interview started off with the recruiter and I getting to know each other's background. After about 15 minutes, he asked some general questions - location preference, graduation date, etcetera. We then went into a role play scenario where I acted as a current saleswoman and he was a client. This was to gauge my thought process in how I approached the customer's needs, thought about their wants vs needs and making sure I gathered all information necessary to provide the best product and deal.

After a couple of weeks, the recruiter handling me informed me that a manager in my area wanted to speak with me. This interview lasted about 30 minutes and included us getting to know each other. He mentioned the different tasks he had in mind for me to do, I guess to see where I was on the spectrum of being able to complete them, and I received an offer not too long afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Pretend that I am a potential client and a friend of ours recommended you to me to talk about a product I am seeking. Lead a conversation with me of how you think this should go.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Interview

Face to face interview setting together with 3 PMs, asking tech questions ( in Java) as well as software development flow questions ( agile, scrum, TDD, etc). Took around 2 hours, 1 round.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (Costa Mesa, CA (US)).

Interview

Very brief and informal. When a hiring manager wants to hire you, everything is fast-tracked. The hiring manager went out of town and directed two guys to interview me. The first was a phone screen and the second was in-person. Both individuals were under the impression I was already hired.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

5 rounds of 15 minutes each with various people. We rotated to different rooms. I did it with a bunch of other college students so there were roughly 50 of us there.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Atlanta, GA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

Had to interview with the mgr and 3 other people and they asked me alot of questions about my experience and how I would approach the job duties of this job role

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IBM (Waltham, MA (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

Met with 4 developers and 1 manager. Very nice experience. They asked me technical and personal questions. I met the people that I would actually work with which was a big bonus as I knew what I was getting into.

Interview Questions

• To solve a technical problem on the spot   1 Answer

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in October 2014.

Interview

1:1 type. Less technology questions and principle questions.
    Introduce yourself briefly in Japanese.
    Background in university.
    Describe a story you solved issues and how you overcome difficulties.
    Describe Restful. How MVC works.
    How to config db in Spring.
    How to use join in SQL.
    etc.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY (US)) in June 2007.

Interview

The one question you are certain to be asked is going to somehow relate to travel such as "Would you be willing to relocate?". They will ask this question even if the job you are applying for is local. IBM expects people to be willing to change and adapt in many ways and a negative answer on this question will hurt your chances. Most "long time" IBMers I know have changed assignments and work locations many times and that is what IBM likes. If you do not want to travel or relocate then you might want to consider another company to work for.

They also like self-starters on education as they have a great deal of online training programs for employees and they want you to use them aggressively. Some local managers will give you time to do this but most will tell you self-development is an option so do it on your own time. None the less they want you to do lots of self-development because expanded skill sets = expanded placement potential if they need you somewhere else. If you do not want to be constantly taking online classes off the clock then you might want to consider another company to work for.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IBM (Herndon, VA (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

Submitted resume online through school joblink, was invited to a 2 day hiring event in VA. Expenses paid by IBM, dinner with other candidates and employees on Friday night and 3 20 minute interviews on Saturday. Offer received 3 weeks after interview.

The younger people were very nice and enthusiastic but the older more experienced workers seemed unhappy.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your career and how does that fit into IBM?   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

I was hired by IBM right out of my university. I met with representatives at the career fair on campus and was invited to IBM's information session that evening. My interview date was then set up through our campus's career website where I interviewed for one day. The interview consisted of 3 separate 30 minute interviews which were all one on one. Two of the interviews were more informational and a back and forth conversation to get to know one another and included general interview questions such as "why IBM?", "why Washington DC?", and "tell me about your classroom experience."

The third was a "technical interview" which consisted of the interviewer looking at my resume and asking me general questions about what I had on the resume from a technical perspective.

After the 3 interviews were over, I was told that I would know something in 2 weeks, and I was sent the IPATO test through email which had to be completed. The IPATO is a logic/aptitude test that IBM requires, and I had a week to complete it.

I had my offer within 10 days of the interview and had 2 weeks to accept or decline.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Being right out of college, the salary and benefits were equal or better to the other companies I was speaking with, so I did not do much negotiating. If you are interviewing to be hired out of college, I would say it is more important to interview with multiple companies in order to get a feel for salaries and benefits in the industry rather than try to negotiate a specific company's offer.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.