IBM Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

IBM Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at IBM

3.1

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in September 2016.

Interview

Got an email from recruiter to schedule a on demand video interview. the process was about an hour. there was 13 questions in total. some of them were short answer some of them were oral response. the questions include technical questions as well as some general behavior questions. The process was not too hard in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• Q1: how do you deal with missing value   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in September 2016.

Interview

There are 13 questions In the online video interview. Ask about the statistics analysis and other machine learning related questions. it is a online video interview. Around 90 minutes. You can start whenever you can. And you can practice as many time as you can.you can practice as many time as you can.you can practice as many time as you can.you can practice as many time as you can.you can practice as many time as you can.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I applied on campus career portal with link to the official website of IBM. Then went through a 90 minutes on-demand interview with 13 technical questions asking me some concepts of statistics and machine learning. Not very difficult. Then I had a phone interview that asked me some past experience in data science and some typical interview questions such as why IBM, why this position and so on.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think your background is a good fit for IBM   3 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM in March 2017.

Interview

Very difficult interview in my opinion on HireVue.

I applied online and got an email about a week later to take a coding challenge on HireVue. I didn't actually receive the link, so I followed up with a recruiter I found on LinkedIn a few days later and got the link.

They said the interview would be 5 general questions and 3 coding questions, but it actually was 14 questions -- some requiring video response and some requiring a short essay response -- with some behaviorals and the rest was Machine Learning and Statistical practices. It definitely caught me by surprise. The questions on ML and Stats seemed pretty general, but make sure you know the basic ML concepts and can explain them clearly with examples.

I'm still waiting to hear back, but not expecting to move on.

Interview Questions

• Can't list the questions, but there were a few standard behavioral questions and the rest were questions about Machine Learning and Stats concepts.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

The interviewers and recruiter were all nice and courteous, and the interviews were reasonable and not very stressful, although the first interview where you talked to your laptop with no one to interact with was awkward. However, the process itself is the worst I've ever been through. After my 1st interview I didn't hear back for 3 weeks, and then all of a sudden got an email that wanted to schedule something for the next few days, and after my reply there was no update for another 3 weeks, and then all of a sudden I got another email that said they wanted to reschedule. I passed all 3 rounds. The 3rd round was just a 15-min chat mainly about logistics, so I had good feelings because there was nothing in that interview that could hurt my chances. Then I heard nothing for another 3 weeks, and when I did they rejected me, saying all the positions had been filled.

Judging from posts on Reddit and such, it seems many others also had a bad experience with the whole thing. I think what happened was IBM went on a massive hiring spree (their job postings were everywhere) and then was surprised when the number of applicants proved overwhelming. It was just a big waste of time for everyone involved. I actually held out on other job prospects to wait for a final response from IBM, which now seems foolish. But on the other hand, I'm not sure a company that exhibits such chaotic planning is a company I want to work for.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egypt, AR (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (Egypt, AR (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

They will send an email with an interview link to hirevue. You will have 15 days to finish it but only one chance. There is 13 questions and most of them are technical related instead of general behavioral question(They said general questions in the process explanation email. This general mean general statistics and data analysis questions.)technical interview about hadoop and frameworks and how to deal with it

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

Initial screening followed by phone interview and then site interview. The site session was scheduled with multiple sessions conducted by people from Information Design, Statistics and Machine Learning followed by Management.

Interview Questions

• Data Science projects and techniques applied   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I got a difficult digital interview from IBM. I think that is hard. I think most of the questions are hard for an undergraduate student to answer. Overall, it was a difficult interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you evaluate the performance of a regression prediction model as opposed to a classification prediction model?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

Two step process
    1. Quick recruiter phone screen to assess culture fit and weed out poor communicators, misfits
    2. On site where you have a behavioral round and technical round, approx 2 hours

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

It was the first level and they sent me the link to Hirevue. You have to record your answer. I personally not comfortable with it but it is not that bad that I thought at the very first.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.