Grubhub Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Grubhub Interview Questions

Interviews at Grubhub

2.7

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Grubhub (Chicago, IL (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

I attended their interviews via College career fair.

Round 1: (at Career fair)
    1. Was asked 2 basic questions in Java and microservices. I was also one question related to Jenkins.
    2. Please make sure you have the projects related to what the company is working on. GH in Chicago works with Java, SpringBoot, Microservices, Cassandra, ReactJS, Gradle etc.

You will get a mail requesting to select a time slot the next day.

Round 2: (at UIC)
    1. 18-20 students from UIC were shortlisted and were allotted 1 hr interviews with one manager and one senior engineer two days after the career fair.
    2. First round - behavioral questions. The more honestly you answer them, it'd be that much easier to make past this round.
    3. Second round (in the same interview) - They give you a simple coding question. If you're able to solve medium-level questions in Leetcode, this would be a cake walk.

Round 3: (onsite)
    1. They arranged an event prior to the onsite day to ease our nerves. Please go prepared to the event and ask as many questions as you can there.
    2. There were two rounds of one hr each. Both with senior engineers.
    3. In the first round, interviewer gave me a very simple problem. He then increased the complexity of the problem by asking me various design constraints with my solution. Then I also had to write unit test cases for this. I made many mistakes during this round. I corrected my mistakes as soon as I realized that I was wrong.
    4. The second round was very similar to the first round but the question was a bit harder.

To make it past onsite, you'd need to have good coding skills (being able to solve Leetcode medium in the first go), Data Structures, Unit Testing, Design Patterns( factory pattern, singleton pattern).

Overall Experience - the interview process is very smooth. The HRs will keep you informed all the time.
    The questions you solve in the interviews are not some random questions that you might find on websites. They take time to structure the questions and every question is related to the actual work people do at GrubHub.

They respect your interview :)

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grubhub (Chicago, IL (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

First round was an HR phone screen. Second round was a video conference with a dev with behavioral/teamwork/previous project -related questions and a technical component. Third round was onsite with two technical interviews and an informational session and food. They also held a bowling event the night before the onsite as it was all college recruits at the interview.

Interview Questions

• 2nd round: String compression and decompression. 3rd round: Print certain shapes with characters (like a right angle triangle with asterisks). A data structure/algorithm question that I can't remember but was wrapped up like it was a problem that Grubhub would face in terms of orders, restaurants, users, etc.   Answer Question

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grubhub (New York, NY (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone screen then flown in for an on-site. Half-day technical interview split into one hour blocks, each with somebody from a different team. Recruiting coordinator was incredibly responsive and helpful throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Design an application, then engineer it for various tradeoffs like speed, uptime, etc.   Answer Question

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Grubhub (New York, NY (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

Well structured, professional and standard interview pattern:
    1. Phone call to talk tech with one the Sr. Engineers.
    2. On-site: 1- Algorithm and Data Structures with team lead, 1 - OOP Design problem with 2nd team lead, 1 -System Design with 3rd team lead , 1 - Behavioral with Director of Engineering.

Interview Questions

• 1. Algorithm: Opening and closing bracket validation
      2. OOP: Design Spreadsheet.
      3. System: Design Youtube   1 Answer

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grubhub (New York, NY (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

HR emailed me to set up a phone interview. She said it would take a week for her to go back to management to see if they wanted to bring me in for an in person interview. Depending the outcome next steps would be discussed.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Grubhub (New York, NY (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

Spoke with head of the department and the lead developer, then spoke to the head of HR the next morning. They were very friendly and interested in the skills I had that didn't necessarily go with to the job I was applying for.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grubhub.

Interview

Interview with 2 panel, then follow up interview, Straightforward, technical questions, previous experience,
    How would you handle certain situations,
    strengths and weakness
    Excel knowledge, workforce skill, management experience
    Customer service expereince
    How do you work under pressure
    How would you relay information to Senior management

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grubhub (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

It was a normal interview process, seemingly went well. I was told I would be contacted back shortly. After a while I set a follow-up email that I never got a response to. The posting has since expired, but they never bothered to contact me to let me know the position had been filled, which is just plain unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• They had typical interview questions for the position I applied for.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Grubhub.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, then follow up with hiring manager. In person interview with 4 other managers to determine fit, and a quick chat with VP of department. questions ranged from the normal review of resume to some questions to determine my knowledge of the business (what would you expect to be a cause for sales to be down from one week to the next?)

Interview Questions

• If you could choose between enough pennies to fill this room or enough pennies to stack as high as the Willis tower, which would you choose and why?   1 Answer

Inside Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grubhub (Chicago, IL (US)) in July 2012.

Interview

The initial screening process was a brief 15 minute phone call with one of the managers of online sales. The manager did not have very many questions and seemed to be focused almost exclusively on my prior experience in inside sales within a structured environment.

The next step in the process was an in-person interview at Grubhub headquarters where I spoke with 2 different online sales managers for about 25 minutes (each separately). The interviewers were casual and treated the interview more like a conversation.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to give them an example of the type of cold calling script I had worked off of in the past. What type of pitch did I make and what communication style did I employ?   Answer Question