Groupon Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at Groupon

1,025 Interview Reviews

2.8

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in November 2011.

Interview

The interview process at Groupon was perhaps one of the most genuine processes I've experienced. As a recruiter, I interview for a living. The team at Groupon treated me as a potential future in-law to their family, not only a future co-worker. They took the time to get to know me. To ask thought provoking questions and to sell me. Most companies on the upward swing in the silicon valley are young, cocky and focused solely on what THEY want. Not also on why a candidate might want to join. I left there feeling that the staff was not only genuine and kind but very motivated and intellectual.

Interview Questions

• If I didn't have a job description and only told you I needed an ETL engineer, what would you be looking for?   2 Answers
    • How would you sell us over our competitors?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Genuine. The conversation was no nonsense. "What are you making?" "What would it take to get you to sign today?"

Easy.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Groupon (Tucson, AZ (US)) in May 2011.

Interview

Applied online, got a call the next day and scheduled a phone interview for the following day. It was a casual thirty minute conversation where they went over my resume and work experience. The recruiter liked me and asked if I wanted to schedule a phone interview with one of the managers the following day. I did another phone interview the following day which resulted in a request for me to fly to their headquarters for a one on one.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your current job and why you want to do something else.   2 Answers
    • Are you familiar with CRMs like Salesforce?   1 Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL (US)) in June 2012.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn about a potential opportunity in my area, invited me to set up a phone chat to discuss the opportunity to see if i would be a good fit. The interview was very casual and easy, we scheduled the second phone interview with another recruiter for two days later.
    Second one went well and was also pretty casual with a few more interview type questions.
    Next step is Skype with regional manager.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon in May 2012.

Interview

Interviews are done via skype if you live outside of Chicago.

Interview Questions

• Was a fairly standard sales position interview   1 Answer

Negotiation

Wasn't much. Based salary on experience in field.

PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL (US)) in January 2012.

Interview

had a phone interview with HR..went over the resume. Then end of the same week had a technical interview with the developer working there...the technical interview was just going through the resume, he was not prepared....he was happy with me, but not sure got a reject next day..the technical guy was just employed there for 4 months..he said he is the one going to build the communication engineering department.

Interview Questions

• question about PHPUnit and how do i perform it.   1 Answer

Lead Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Screened by two recruiters. The interview itself consisted of talking briefly with the two recruiters, followed by meeting with 5 people in the department. I met the hiring manager's boss first, then the hiring manager's partner, then the hiring manager, then some senior person in finance, and finally an analyst in the department who administered a SQL test.

Interview Questions

• What would be the best feature to determine how much money a deal will make on Groupon's site?

That was followed shortly by "What would be the best predictor of whether a merchant will run on Groupon?"   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Groupon.

Interview

Applied through info session on campus. Got contacted after half a week. Had two 45-min back-to-back sessions campus interview. One with a senior engineer discussing my experience listed on resume and solving 2-3 problems w/ pseudocode. The other was with two engineers solving two whiteboard coding problems.

Interview Questions

• A matrix with integers. Mask all rows and columns containing 0's to 0 and keep the rest unchanged.   1 Answer

Software Eng Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Groupon.

Interview

5-10 mins about my previous work exp. One classic DP and one classic Linked List problem. Totally 45 minutes. They were very friendly people, they guided me throughout the answer. If you are prepared for tech interviews, you can crack it. Wasn't very tough.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon.

Interview

One phone interview, one phone/online coding exercise, one in-person interview with 5 or 6 different people for 50 minutes/1 hour each without breaks. It was brutal and exhausting. All interview questions were code related, with every step of a 5 or 6 step process requiring me to write code that was actually functional (3 or 4 of the individual interviews) or pseudocode on a whiteboard, the exception being when we broke for lunch and that was riddles/brain teaser sort of thing. Exhausting.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected was asking me to reimplement a hash class with arrays. Why would I ever do this? It's a base class with well understood functionality, and the actual implementation in any language would be highly optimized. I've heard the arguments about "testing the way you think about things" and I don't buy it, especially when you only have 50 minutes to do it. What about testing the way I'd actually write code every day?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Have a phone call and asked question about the basic data structure and searching and sorting problem. Not very difficult. Question like how to find the middle of a linkedlist. And ask question about the company itself.

Interview Questions

• No difficult, but be confident.   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.