G-Research Quantitative Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

G-Research Quantitative Researcher Interview Questions

Interviews at G-Research

3.6

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (New York, NY (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

The first part was a 90minutes written test. Very convenient recruiting team that proposed me to do it directly from New York. The second stage was a 60minutes skype interview with a quant and an intern. They were friendly and structured the interview. At the end I received a full feedback. Was not quick enough on the mathematical questions but overall good experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for G-Research

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (Remote, OR (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

I applied through a referral, passed the initial HR screening (phone call), then took a 90 minute written test, I barely passed the test but flunked the "triage interview". This interview was mainly about the parts of the test where I did not perform well, it was pretty technical (as in write calculations with pen and paper technical). The interviewer felt that I needed too much handholding to solve the problems.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at G-Research in July 2018.

Interview

There is a ~ 1 hr exam they set up for you. It is very similar to the past exams on their website. I did reasonably well on this, and was given a phone interview. The phone interview asked a number of more open-ended but superficial questions about optimization / machine learning. At the end were two quite difficult quantitative questions. One was about probability, the other about algorithms. I did not do well enough on these questions to advance further in the process.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research.

Interview

The first stage was to take a 90-minute exam. The first part was pretty straightforward. The second part gave a few harder problems and you had to pick one to solve--if you can spot the trick they're not bad.

Round two was a video interview. This was more of a behavioral interview. The interviewer went over my education and experience. Some technical questions were woven in. For example, he'd go into my programming experience then ask a question about object-oriented programming. This was scheduled for an hour, but we only talked for half that time. The next day I got a rejection e-mail that had a cryptic comment about them not being convinced about my motivations.

While I will praise their efficiency--it is truly marvelous how quickly they got back to me and moved through the process--I found the commentary on my motivations rather rude.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with fat tails in linear regression?   Answer Question

G-Research Response

12 Mar 2018 – Recruitment

You will be reminded that you would have signed an NDA prohibiting you from sharing any confidential information, including details of test questions. We have the right to action the NDA, therefore would ask that you remove the interview question as soon as possible.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England (UK)).

Interview

1. 90 min test (mostly maths but one simple finance question) then 1 hour quant interview.

2. 3 one hour quant interviews. You choose the topics from (math, stats, ML, programming, finance). I chose math, stats and ML. I think the type of questions is really driven by who ends up interviewing you rather than these choices tho! - especially for maths vs stats. Maybe programming and finance interviews are quite different.

3. 90 min interviews with two team leads.

4. 1 hour interview with head of research and behavioural interview (and behavioural multichoice test) with director.

I only ever had good feedback until the final round, where apparently my behavioural test and chat with the director went very badly! - this was my first interview for a non-academic position and I was probably a bit too green/naive - so be on your guard!

They ask a mix of technical questions, some based on A-level maths, but mostly based on the sort of stuff you would do in a 2nd year prob and stats course at a top uni. The material they suggest for preparation is a very accurate reflection of what most of the questioning is like.

Interview Questions

• lots of probability and statistics.   1 Answer

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at G-Research.

Interview

I went for a writing test where they asked me some written exercise. I performed poorly because I didn't prepare well for the test, but the test was not so difficult with a fresh knowledge of probability and statistics. Good luck!!

Interview Questions

• Given two uncorrelated gaussian distribution, with 0 mean and unit variance find P(x>5y)   3 Answers

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research in October 2019.

Interview

The first stage is a technical written test. The example of the test (found on their website) is slightly more difficult than the actual test (my opinion). The written test went well for me. Topics were very similar to that of the test on their website, from basic probability, distributions, option pricing, regressions, etc.
    The second round was a video interview, also exclusively technical questions. The interviewer was not helpful and wasn't friendly. The questions were interesting, but the experience overall wasn't great.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England (UK)) in September 2019.

Interview

There were multiple interviews, I got booted at the 5th round. I think there are at least 8 (not sure). The staff were very courteous at all stages of the interview, and even compiled comprehensive feedback from all my interviewers when sending out the rejection email. Even though I did not get an offer, it was a process with a high degree of professionalism.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research in August 2019.

Interview

I had a first video interview, one 90min test on quantitative skills (math-stat-coding) and a second video interview. After these 3 they told me I did not performed good enough.
    Nice experience overall, fun problems to solve and nice and kind people in both interviews and in HR.

I had no previous experience in interviewing for quantitative finance jobs and I have an academic background (phd+3years postdoc).

I found it a bit strange that they put strong emphasis on being able to solve fast simple mathematical problems (high school level - math olympiad style) or coding simple python functions. In my experience as a researcher, this correlates poorly with being a good researcher (finding the right questions, fighting with hard problems for months, have reliable results).
    I felt I could have performed better in a interview like that when I was an undergraduate student.
    I think this approach is common in these types of interviews for quant jobs, but I don't find it very optimal

Interview Questions

• - first videochat was mostly a coding interview, implementing a simple function in python (number theory inspired problem) I was also asked some stat/ml questions
      - second videochat was in math, number theory problem and some probability problems
      - test was in math, stat and coding   Answer Question

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampere (Finland)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (Tampere (Finland)) in June 2019.

Interview

First step is a 90-minutes exam. I failed this exam so didn't get a shot at the interview. The first part of the exam was a bunch of easy and basic math questions. The second part was more challenging but doable if you have a good math background, I failed because of poor time management.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.