Facebook Production Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Facebook Production Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Facebook

3.4

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in July 2016.

Interview

I made it to the 2nd of 4 interviews. Both of my interviewers were extremely polite and professional. The first interview was a phone screening from a recruiter, which also included around 10 Linux sysadmin/networking questions (What command would you use to do _____?). The second interview was a coding test. I was asked to write code to accomplish two different tasks. The interviewer was very helpful in giving me suggestions when I would get stuck.

Interview Questions

• What is the default signal that is generated when sending a kill command to a process in Linux?   6 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Recruiter was very friendly and accommodating. They seemed like they really cared about getting the interview scheduled. First interview was a phone call about 15-20 mins, just a get to know you and see if you're a good fit for the company. After that they schedule the other technical interviews which is about 45 mins and consists of a coding session.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

It's a intense and length process with multiple steps, but all the interviewers were fair and helpful. Despite of the hard level of the questions, I left all interviews with a good feeling that I could show my skills and I could understand clearly my mistakes and week spots. The recruiter has also very responsive.

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

Their HR dept contacted me. First step was doing a phone interview with their HR dept, nothing intense. Second step was to do a code test. Spent 45 min while Facebook look at what you're writing. Did a coding challenge but there no way for you to test/complie your code. They assumed you know the correct syntax, etc.

Interview Questions

• In IPv6 what is the A record equivalent?   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via linkedin. I went through 3 phone interviews (one easy 10 minutes screening by the recruiter and two 45 minutes harder and more in depth) and 5 in person interviews (all 45 minutes each).

Interview Questions

• Questions usually start very general but quickly go very in depth. Know TCP/IP, BigO, kernel internals, etc. Try to think at big scale.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easier to negotiate if you already have another offer from another competing company and if you did well in the interviews.

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Initial HR Screen with Basic Linux INTERNALS Questions (10 - 15 questions) - most of the questions already available on glassdoor.

IF you clear the HR round, you will be given the material to prepare for the subsequent rounds.... a wide variety of topics covering (way too many) everything that is going to be asked during the interview.

But the truth is................................... that it is too late to prepare ( if u have 3-5 days to go for the next round.)..............all of it ....................... if you already don't have a solid foundation of OS concepts and Algorithms.

If you are 4-6 months out from graduating ..............( YES !!! THEY ARE HIRING NEW GRADS FOR THIS ROLE..!!! ).............and there is a possibility of getting an interview(referral) for this position ., read the above paragraph again.

Systems round

They will ask you Linux questions .........till you feel.... you are out of your depth e. - an in-depth KNOWLEDGE OF LINUX INTERNALs is minimum criteria to clear this round.

Pick up a Linux Kernel book.... (own it.)........ and have an Overview of Performance related commands( Truth --- >> know each parameter( if it changes(increase/decrease) and how it affects performance( This is where i failed) ---- )

Last minute preparation
     Study the Entire Linux kernel and Performance related commands for 10-15 days before the interview.

Try to understand how web farms(servers) are maintained.... Expect some very vague problem statements( troubleshooting question). Be ready for a set of large scale (Web scale) troubleshooting related questions. .... they just want to examine your approach, (there are no right or wrong answers).................. ( For Vague problem statements---- >> ask questions or better state your assumptions but keep the flow. Its key.

Programming Round:

If you are not new to coding... this should be straight forward.

if you are new......... 3-4 weeks on hacker rank and algorithms basics( arrays, stacks, sorting) and you might get lucky.

Interview Questions

• Linux Performance commands..... ( Well the engineer spent ...15 mins on one command.. )

Know Kernel to the CPU interrupt level...   1 Answer

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Facebook in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter over Linkedin. I went through a basic a HR phone screen with a few easy Linux/networking questions. I then had a programming interview where I was given two prompts to answer in 45 minutes. You could use any language and they were fairly straightforward. The first interviewer was very pleasant and quick. The second didn't say much and then described the job to me.

Interview Questions

• Name three states a process can be in.   5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in April 2012.

Interview

Recruiters were very eager and helpful, the process was still being worked out especially on the international and immigration front, but the actual interview was well ran. The questions were somewhat hard, especially since they assumed a different approach to e.g. software development.

Interview Questions

• Algorithm to find 3 integers adding up to 0   4 Answers

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The first phone screen was with a recruiter to discuss the role and ask a few basic technical questions. The next step was a 45 minute coding focused phone interview. You are given two simple, but not practical coding challenges to answer live with the interviewer. If you have studied only interview coding type questions from the many online sites that charge a fee for answers, then you may do well, otherwise, don't count on it. If you don't succeed, they end the process there without asking any systems or networking related questions. So, if you want to pass their coding interview, study and do practice problems for months.

Interview Questions

• Import a CSV / JSON file. If condition is met, print two attributes for that condition.   1 Answer
    • Add each number in an array until the sum equals the rest of the array   4 Answers

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple. HR is pretty quick and responsive to emails. In the beginning, I got a call from HR, which included some technical screening (linux, networking etc.) , following which I was scheduled for a coding interview.
    Their coding interview is not crazy, it is focussed on performance and efficiency (please be thorough with complexity analysis). HR provides you with proper material for preparation.

During my coding interview, it appeared like my interviewer was a bit impatient (when I tried talking aloud my approach while programming) and at times I also had difficulty following him as well (I tried level best in keeping up and clarifying). Overall I thought I had done well with the coding interview because one of the questions involved around "battleship" which I clarified I am just familiar with, but I think I was still able to get something working as a solution. I did hear back from HR, as they decided not to proceed further (as they had better candidates). I thought I did stutter and feel nervous at one point, which may have made the interviewer a bit impatient. So my advice, be confident, clarify and also pray that you find a patient interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Linux internals, networking, basics (HR Screening), Standard coding interview questions   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.