Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at Facebook

5,903 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me over email and set up a phone interview for the following week for a 15-minute call. I guess next round would have been with a hiring manager

Interview Questions

• PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE PHONE SCREENING LIGHTLY! I did and got rejected. I was expecting SQL questions and in general talk about my resume but she asked me a question on product sense and I was completely unprepared for it. Creation of Facebook user groups has gone down by 20%, what will you do? sounds simple but I messed it up so badly. I was just blabbering anything in an unstructured way, I sounded so stupid and not even fit for a small company forget Facebook. The recruiter was nice and she did not say anything but I were to hear my own answer, I would reject myself on spot. I regret it so much wish I could have prepared for it. I hope someone sees this and it helps them.

The SQL questions were easy and I did answer them correctly- what kind of joins to get only common rows, what the natural sorting order etc.   2 Answers

Data Scientist, Infrastructure Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

A Shared Coderpad of SQL, Python Coding, Stats and ML. The questions were actually pretty basic but the interviewer frequently asked nitpicky questions that a DS practitioner would never really think about (like what are the formulas for pooled variance). See questions below as examples.

Interview Questions

• What are the assumptions behind a t-test   1 Answer
    • What is the formula for pooled variance (yes they expect you to know the actual formula from memory)   Answer Question
    • What are the formulas for recall, precision, false positive rate, etc   Answer Question
    • (Coding) Search for first instance of k in sorted array more efficiently than O(n).   1 Answer
    • What are the number of pairwise combinations of N elements.   1 Answer
    • How do you handle imbalanced classes?   Answer Question
    • Import CSV and manipulate some data. No pandas allowed though.   Answer Question
    • (SQL) Given a table, provide all the pairwise combinations of IDs, without any duplicates. So with record1: ID1 ID2; record2: ID2 ID1; record1 or record2 needs to be removed.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone screen followed by 4 interviews in one day (remote due to pandemic). Questions seemed generally reasonable, albeit coding questions are really contrived and don't feel like they would filter experienced from inexperienced engineers. For the behavioral interview, it was hard to read the interviewer and what they were looking for, especially considering the whole thing was remote over video.

Up until this point, I would rate the interview average... but then: 5 days after the interviews, I got an email that said that I "did exceptionally well" in my interviews, and that they would follow up with final decision soon. Then the next day, I was told that they won't be making an offer. I was given a very vague reason that the hiring committee (which is not the interviewers) read between the lines of my interview and decided that I don't communicate well in conflict.

Interview Questions

• Tech: Binary tree, strings, bfs, translation service
      Non-tech: behavioral   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The interviewer introduced himself and start asking questions directly. Finally, the interviewer ask if I have any questions for him. I am lucky to answer the 2 questions perfectly and feel confident about getting an offer.

Data Engineer Interview

Interview

This is the first round of interview I'm writing about. The result is yet to come, so I'll update my progress later. I was contacted in the past regarding the interview and my old recruiter connected me to this new recruiter. She was pretty friendly and walked me through the life at FB and patterns. She scheduled for a phone interview. Based on my recruiter answering 3-4 questions of SQL (Postgre not MySQL) and Programming problems each in a total of 50 minutes should put you ina good spot , though you're asked to prepare for 5 each in 50 minutes.
    I'd recommend medium level SQL (questions on Leet Code and Easy - Medium Programming questions. I chose Java.

Interview Questions

• SQL - I was given 4 tables Sales, Product, Promotion and something else (Never had to use it).
      1. Which product had the highest sales with promotions and sales ( basically a where clause on 2 flags)
      2. What % of sales happened on the first and last day of promotion.
      I don't remember the rest.. I'd say your ability to translate regular english statements into SQL is tested very well   1 Answer
    • Find the mismatching words between 2 strings- Java   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me through email, and we setup a phone interview for the following week.

During the the phone interview, I could barely hear the recruiter talking. I barely heard his explanation of the role and the team. I had to ask him several times to repeat his questions. The interview went very fast (under 13 min). Overall it was a frustrating experience.

Interview Questions

• What are Facebook products you are familiar with?
      You noticed there is 20% decreases in FB product users, what would you do to correct that?
      SQL Questions
      Make sure you learn about A/B testing.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me asking for some details. Then she got back to me with online assessments. Once I cleared that 45mins of DA coding interview. If cleared network protocols interview will be scheduled.

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

1: tell me about yourself and why DS?
    2: tell me about your Data Science experience/project, more analytics side?
    3: If 10% decreasing in the post(FB, Instagram), as DS, what would you do?
    1) how would you improve notifications?
    2) how would you get Facebook users to download Instagram?

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)).

Interview

Two phone interviews with two different Facebook PMs, one tested for product sense and the other for execution. The interviews were back to back on the same day, and each one was 45 minutes long

Interview Questions

• How would you design a volunteering app for Facebook (Like Groups but where non-profit organizations can search for volunteers and people who would like to volunteer can connect, start a group or join an existing cause)?

Followup questions - how would you prioritize your solutions? Why?   2 Answers
    • You are the PM of the "share" feature(which people use to share on feed, as a private message etc.). How would you measure success of this feature? What metrics would you use and why? Out of the ones you have mentioned, which is the most important and why?

1) Your team has implemented a change in the "share" and released it for A/B testing, where you realized that there is increase of 20% usage of the feature. would you decide to release it?
      2) You have recently released the new feature, and you were informed by all local sites (Facebook sites in each country) that the usage has indeed increased by 20%, but the overall global data shows only 5% increase. How is this possible?   5 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.