Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Bloomberg L.P.

3.3

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

Interview

Using HackerRank.com you are being asked to write code. In the same time you are talking on the phone with interviewer. You'll see questions in left side and as you are selecting texts, writing codes, etc. your interviewer see your actions live time. Interviewer wasn't so much concerned about code to be ready to run, but more interested to see your algorithm solution.

Interview Questions

• Merge to sorted arrays into second array, both arrays has N elements, but second array size is N * 2. So you merge both arrays in second array in a sorted way.   4 Answers
  • Find if given text does have matching [ { ( opening and closing. So ({[]}) is valid and ({)} is invalid. They should open and close in proper order.   5 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and we set up a phone interview.

The interviewer called me up half an hour late, and started off with an "I understand I'm late calling you, but it would be really helpful to me if we just do this now anyway". I should've cut him off then and rescheduled.

During the technical questions, the interviewer kept cutting me off and laughing. He was extremely nasty and condescending, saying things like "I'm sure you're smart and all, but I just can't understand why you think that's a good answer," and "You didn't get that, maybe google a little more next time." When I asked him questions, he said things like "I'm sorry, I just don't understand why you'd ask me something like that." I'm happy I didn't get an offer for an in-person if that's the type of person I'd be working with.

Interview Questions

• Rearrange the elements of an array so that all zeroes are at the end of the array, while preserving the ordering of the nonzero elements.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

Step 1. Phone interview. Std Core Java questions. Generics, erasure, recursion, GC. If you have experience as a Java programmer, there is little much you can do to mess it up unless you curse the interviewer.
    Step 2. Face to Face interview. Take me thru the steps what happens when you type a URL into your browser. Load balancing. I think these went OK. Then the next was to write an algorithm to solve some continuous function. I definitely bombed that.
    Anyway, I don't want to sound like a disgruntled interviewee who did not get the job. And I would have really liked to work there even though I don't really care about the location or the free chips.
    But it looks like they don't really value your experience. When you code in a programming language/OS for a long time, it pretty much becomes second nature. And for a contracting position not really sure how solving a problem involving continuous functions really helps anyone. The next interviewer asked me why I wanted to work at Bloomberg Law. You can easily BS for this question (search on youtube and you will find step by step instructions). But is this really relevant for a 6 months+ contracting position? Calm down dude, tell me a problem you have and let me help you solve it. I think its best for people fresh out of school or probably 1-3 years experience. If you have tons of experience like >10 years, don't bother. The market is great and you will find a job anywhere.
    My 2 cents for what its worth.

Interview Questions

• Something involving continuous functions and how to determine what points they cross the origin. I tuned out when the interviewer drew the x and y-axis. Really is this the kind of problem you are solving everyday? Why don't you ask me to write some algorithms that make sense.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I had two phone interviews. The general questions were quite okay. Also the coding was fine. But Bloomberg was looking for an C++ expert and so they additionally asked very deep programming language questions which also includes threads. Additionally, they asked topic related questions. For the last two I was not prepared. It was my first phone interview and my preparation was too focused on the algorithm coding questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

It was phone first then onsite. The phone interview I got some binary search problem. As for the onsite one I got some really bad interviewers for the onsite round, asked about 50 misc questions. Such as tell me all the sorting algorithms you know of, tell me all the functions you know that does locking in multithreading in java ... There was no whiteboard, so I have 2 guys trying to look at what I write down on a piece of paper in front of me through out the interview. I patiently went through it knowing I wouldn't want to work with them.

Interview Questions

• Give me a list of all the sorting algorthims you know of.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

After the resume is picked, the phone call screening process has technical questions through interactive coding and a small test on the relevant technology. The interactive coding is what they use for quicker screening process, where you might even be talking to the manager in question. Next level is the on-site interview where you typically go through more than 1 round of interview depending on how you do the first one.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you developed your previous application, and what special technique did you use to achieve any additional performance   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Houston, TX (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

while scheduling interview, they shared a interview link of hackerrank, when person called me, he asked me to login to the interivew link, and started. he first asked about my last project and if any challenges, followed my few technical questions and if I have any questions. Interview panel was very friendly and polite

Interview Questions

• They asked me to write a pseudo code for a simple problem on hackerrank   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

Always such a waste of time interviewing here. Do yourself a favor and interview at a real company which will ask actual and relevant questions than a hardcore development quiz which you always end up magically "failing" even though you have answered the questions correctly, and better companies than they have hired you.

Interview Questions

• How do you write an algorithm to count all subsets of strings in a string.   6 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Very professional, thorough, precise. Hackerrank screening (1 hr) followed by in person at their office. 4 rounds of in-person interview - each 1 hr. Beautiful office. I was contacted by a recruiter. Process moves very fast. You need to decide your own pace (when to take an interview)

Interview Questions

• Deep fundamentals, nothing facy. You need to have a rock solid practice on data structures. Think, eat, breath data structures and be ready to apply logic. honestly, no one will benefit from knowing past questions when it comes to Bloomberg interviews. Fundamental questions on Trees, queues, algorithms, data structures. That is all you need to crack. Practice a lot on hackerrank and such sites.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online. First had a phone interview. They are only available between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM, so needed to take time off work. Asked a couple of easy technical questions over an hour and made some changes to the question as I went along. Coding was done online through Hacker Rank.

Went onsite for 4 hours beginning at 10 AM. First round was technical with 2 devs. Second was the same. Third was with HR and 4th was with Hiring Manager. HR was just information on perks, culture, etc. Hiring manager asked algo question, showed me the terminal, and asked behavioral questions.

The onsite went well and I was certain I'd receive an offer, but was contacted by HR saying they wanted someone with C++ experience and asked me to interview for another role. Why was I interviewed if that was going to deter me from getting an offer? No straight answer.

Went onsite again. Went through two technical rounds. Everyone I met so far was nice until the last one. He was easily the rudest, most disrespectful interviewer I've ever had. He was disinterested from the beginning, wanted to leave the second he stepped through the door, didn't ask for my resume, didn't shake my hand, was condescending, and didn't have any actual questions prepped. Needless to say, this round went terribly. He lost interest half way through and essentially ran out, without letting me ask any questions.

All in all, I wasted two vacation days and went through 7 hours of interviewing with 11 people. Apparently one person's opinion is greater than 10. Don't waste your time unless you feel you have the perfect fit.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.