Best Buy General Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Best Buy General Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Best Buy

3.1

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison Heights, MI (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Best Buy (Madison Heights, MI (US)) in February 2007.

Interview

The interview lasted only a few minutes at the district manager level. Based on my experience you are sized up based mostly on appearance, ethnicity and ability to answer some, not very probing, questions. Overall impression is a result based employment status with very little personal development. Sink or swim type of training program. I was very successful with the company but you will need to bring a lot of experience in motivating employees and managing operations to be successful as the company is very good at telling you what needs to be done but not good at all when telling you how to get it done.

Interview Questions

• Please provide and example of community involvement. What involvement took place, what was the outcome?   1 Answer
  • Please describe a time when you had to analyze the business to determine a specific course of action to improve the performance of your store.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They will come across as not willing to negotiate but depending on who you talk to and how much they like you, there is definitely room to negotiate everything but health care.

Other Interview Reviews for Best Buy

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Best Buy (New York, NY (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

A lot of opened ended questions, with situations applying to work. Questions were easy but made you think, but we’re all work related questions that I’ve been through. Declined the offer becuase I wasn’t offered something else where.

Interview Questions

• How would I handle a situation with a problem employee.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Best Buy (New York, NY (US)) in June 2010.

Interview

The interview was in front of a panel of GMs and DMs. There were a series of select questions in which based on your answer would generate follow up questions. The interviews can be tough and is used to validate your experience and knowledge. You are then given feedback after a couple of days regardless if you didnt the position.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Best Buy (Grand Rapids, MI (US)) in February 2011.

Interview

It was a good interview that was very beneficial to both parties, the process was a good learning experience

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Best Buy in January 2012.

Interview

Be prepared for multiple interviewers, Be prepared to speak to and give examples of customer experiences good and bad. Training rhythms of coaching teams and driving performance. also awareness around shrink and supply ordering

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Depends on market/State

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in California, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Best Buy (California, PA (US)) in January 2009.

Interview

Very casual and carefree interviewing process
    Fond of panel interviews

Negotiation

came in at 45,000.00 worked up to 65,000.00

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Best Buy (Denver, CO (US)) in February 2008.

Interview

Panel interview including several GM peers in the district and the district staff. All behavioral based questions for aptitude and level of thought. If your results are not in line, you will not even get an interview, so memorizing numbers is pointless. You should know the status of the store you are going for. It is all "Tell me about a time..." If you are not already assuming the role ahead of time and an active member of the district community, you will not be considered.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when your business unit was not succeeding. What happened, and what did you do about it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. If you ask for more, you will be told the system auto generates your offer based on your previous pay. This is not true, and internals do usually get low balled compared to outside hires.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Best Buy (Cincinnati, OH (US)) in January 2008.

Interview

usually a panel interview with gms and district staff

Interview Questions

• how much experience do you have with a P&L?   3 Answers

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Best Buy (Baltimore, MD (US)) in August 2015.

Interview

Apply on best buys website then fill out the personality form. Once the requisition closes you will receive a phone call from the area recruiter who will set up a phone interview and if you pass you will receive a phone call setting up an in person pannel interview with 2-5 people. Usually only one interview. After everyone has interviewed you will receive a phone call regardless

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you analyzed a profit and loss statement to maximize profitibility   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview

Interview process is good until it comes to the face to face. First impression is EVERYTHING so your appearance should be on point. Don't be surprised if they ask you to go to a different location for a possible open position as most of the DM's don't know what they want.

Interview Questions

• Tell Me about a time where you worked with community outreach. How did you initiate the event and what was your outcome? How often would you say you have contact with your community to suport your business and how has that helped you or hurt you in past?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.